Timing concerns when booking private shore tours

stsbj

I did post this question in my roll call, but haven't had much feedback so I thought I'd ask the masses...

We are a family of 5, and are cruising on Epic April 13-20th.

In regards to booking shore excursions, if anyone can offer insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

I was planning on booking our Ocho Rios zipline & tubing through NCL, and did manage to book the 3/5 of us with them, but when I called to ask why I couldn't book myself and daughter as well, I was told the tour was full. I'm now going to cancel with NCL, and book privately, but wondered about timing.

The schedule says we arrive in Ocho Rios at 9 and depart at 5. I also read that it may take 2 hrs to disembark, and you must be back on the ship 2 hrs before departure. BUT, when you look at the excursions offerred through NCL, most of the tours start at 9:15 or 9:30. I'm wondering for those of you who have booked private tours, what times you've booked. Also do you think if we book a tour from 9:30 and it's 4 1/2 hrs (similar to NCL tours) we would be okay???

The two hours bit only applies to the first and last days of the cruise. On port days you can get off very soon after docking, and need to be back on about half an hour before leaving.

It's a common question. I wish NCL would make it clearer on their website. You are far from the first person to read it that way.

You only need to be onboard 2 hours before departure on embarkation day. When the ship visits ports then it is 30 mins before the advertised sailing time.

Also it shouldn't take 2 hours for everyone to get off in the ports unless it is a tender port and there are problems with the tenders.

Ask the tour operator about your timing. We had an operator in Alaska that guaranteed to get us back to the ship on time or get us to the next port. (Granted, the ports aren't very far apart in Alaska typically.)

There is no problem about getting back. The tour finishes at 2pm and the ship sails at 5pm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the replies. I guess it was a bit of a "newbie" question, but I definitely did not want to make a mistake with booking! I sound like such a goody-goody! lol :rolleyes: