Not sure about getting off ship in nassau

beautifullady

Not sure about private tours.

Here's a link to NCL's excursions in Nassau:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-destination/bahamas_florida/excursions?N=4294934654+4294964951&Ne=8057&Ns=p_Shorex_Search_Weight%7C0%7C%7Cp_Shorex_Title%7C0&Nu=p_Shorex_Package_Id#tab_detail

Hope this helps.

Have a nice cruise!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

If I decide to get off the ship in bahamas any suggestion on places I shoould tour, places to shop and eat,a nice beach? Does anyone have info on a private tour Guide? I appreciate my cc friends help and opinions! A BIG thanks!

You should absolutely get off the ship at Nassau There are many wonderful things to see and do. Great beaches – Cable beach and Cabbage beach, the latter is on Paradise Island, where Atlantis is also located. An easy day on Nassau is to get a day pass to one of the hotels on Cable Beach. Ship excursions are quite expensive. You can book your own day at Sandy toes, which is on Rose Island; a beautiful beach, or Blue Lagoon, another private island that offers very calm swimming and dolphins. Sandy Toes and Blue Lagoon take you on short boat rides to their islands for the day and both include lunch and offer snorkeling and other fun things. Check out their websites. Many cruisers go to these and avoid the much higher expense and Disney climate at Atlantis, which is another option for the day but will set you back hundreds of dollars. There are also historic forts, the pirate museum, the straw market and other attractions. if you've never been to Nassau, please get off the ship and explore doing something fun. You will be glad you did! Some people like to stay on the floating hotel but why not check it out, especially if it's sunny and warm.

Edited by dohertm1
Spelling

Agree fully. I would NEVER opt to stay on the ship in Nassau. In the immediate vicinity of the ship, there are so many things to see and do, with tons of other tourists all around. Even if you just wanted to stroll around, so some shopping or try some local food, there is nothing to worry about. If you wanted to go to one of the free local beaches, I would try and go with the bus, or just go to any of the wonderful beaches from the hotels or Atlantis. No worries there.

Cheers

Len

I tried, last week, to get a private tour with Mario Bethel and his vehicle, who was recommended by another poster, but I got the meeting time wrong and Mario couldn't wait, not knowing if I would show up or not. But, I happened to meet his cousin at the dock (one of the ladies helping sort people out there) and she called him on the phone (I had a printed copy of his email to me to show her the name). He apologized for the mix-up that was my fault and recommended Dan the Man. We went with Dan in his limo and toured the whole island for three and a half hours for $35 per person (plus tip). It was a great tour. It was a little difficult to hear everything Dan said and understand his accent, but he explained everything and made every effort to show us his island and fulfill all our requests. I was amazed at how eager everyone on the dock was to help us find our way. Dan's limo held eight people, three groups from three different ships, who found him at the dock. Don't stay on the ship. After our tour, we ate at a local restaurant and then shopped on the street close to the ship until time to leave. Great experience. We felt perfectly safe the whole time.

I tried, last week, to get a private tour with Mario Bethel and his vehicle, who was recommended by another poster, but I got the meeting time wrong and Mario couldn't wait, not knowing if I would show up or not. But, I happened to meet his cousin at the dock (one of the ladies helping sort people out there) and she called him on the phone (I had a printed copy of his email to me to show her the name). He apologized for the mix-up that was my fault and recommended Dan the Man. We went with Dan in his limo and toured the whole island for three and a half hours for $35 per person (plus tip). It was a great tour. It was a little difficult to hear everything Dan said and understand his accent, but he explained everything and made every effort to show us his island and fulfill all our requests. I was amazed at how eager everyone on the dock was to help us find our way. Dan's limo held eight people, three groups from three different ships, who found him at the dock. Don't stay on the ship. After our tour, we ate at a local restaurant and then shopped on the street close to the ship until time to leave. Great experience. We felt perfectly safe the whole time.

Granny,

Where did you end up eating? I've read so much about the Fish Fry. We don't have an excursion planned for Nassau and are trying to decide where we want to end up for lunch after walking around Nassau

We meet up with Tommy Bahama for a minivan 12 passenger it was $20 a person and tip.

He was full, of great info, toured the island, rum cake factory, market, fort, stairs. He took us into a nearby market first and we got a water and potty before heading out. Stayed wit us to navigate anyone trying to sell wares like barging in. Really didn't run into it as he was good to keep up grouped.

The only waste I found was negotiate not to go to Atlantis, you really don't have much time, 1/2 hr to seethe bathroom and external view of building. I would rather be dropped at a beach near the port or some place close to eat.

Nadersmom asked about where we ate. You need advice from someone else. Dan the Man commented as we drove by about the good food at Cafe Matisse, so we went in there to eat when we came across the place. It is very expensive and time consuming. We ate a salad from the appetizer list which had lobster on it, but I think Bahamian lobster is not the same as Maine lobster, so it was not very tasty. We should have gone somewhere else. We had printed a Walking Tour of Nassau from a Fodor site that had somehow popped up during pre-trip research. We showed it to Dan and he read enough of it to show us that where we were (right at the dock) along our walking tour, so we used it for information and walked around some of the historical pink and white buildings downtown before ending up at the shopping area. I am glad we did that, as the buildings were beautiful and we did more than just shop. I agree with Disneymarie that you might want to ask to skip Atlantis. It was also time consuming and we couldn't see more than the lobby of an expensive hotel with designer shops. Our tour did not go to the rum factory but we did see the pirate caves. Don't miss the fort and Queen's Staircase.

Nadersmom asked about where we ate. You need advice from someone else. Dan the Man commented as we drove by about the good food at Cafe Matisse, so we went in there to eat when we came across the place. It is very expensive and time consuming. We ate a salad from the appetizer list which had lobster on it, but I think Bahamian lobster is not the same as Maine lobster, so it was not very tasty. We should have gone somewhere else. We had printed a Walking Tour of Nassau from a Fodor site that had somehow popped up during pre-trip research. We showed it to Dan and he read enough of it to show us that where we were (right at the dock) along our walking tour, so we used it for information and walked around some of the historical pink and white buildings downtown before ending up at the shopping area. I am glad we did that, as the buildings were beautiful and we did more than just shop. I agree with Disneymarie that you might want to ask to skip Atlantis. It was also time consuming and we couldn't see more than the lobby of an expensive hotel with designer shops. Our tour did not go to the rum factory but we did see the pirate caves. Don't miss the fort and Queen's Staircase.

Thanks so much!!!

• 2 weeks later...
We meet up with Tommy Bahama for a minivan 12 passenger it was $20 a person and tip.

He was full, of great info, toured the island, rum cake factory, market, fort, stairs. He took us into a nearby market first and we got a water and potty before heading out. Stayed wit us to navigate anyone trying to sell wares like barging in. Really didn't run into it as he was good to keep up grouped.

The only waste I found was negotiate not to go to Atlantis, you really don't have much time, 1/2 hr to seethe bathroom and external view of building. I would rather be dropped at a beach near the port or some place close to eat.

Do you have any contact info for Tommy?

Have been to Nassau several times- just returned last week.

We always find fun things to do away from the pier. We skip the Straw Market. Have gone to: Atlantis twice, the British Colonial Hilton, Ardastra Gardens and Zoo, for a horse carriage ride, to the Pirate Museum, shopping on Bay St., to the Sheraton (now the Melia), to the Wyndham, and last week to the Blue Lagoon, which is amazing.

We did the Dolphin Encounter and then spent time at the clean beach where there were plenty of lounge chairs, a snack shack, and lots of water toys.

Plenty to do in Nassau. We took van cabs which were $5 pp with about 10 people. Safety in numbers.

There is LOTS to see and do in Nassau and you should NOT be afraid to get off the ship, what a waste that would be!!! We have been to Nassau many many times over the years. Breeze's beach pass was awesome, Atlantis day pass was awesome . This last January 2014 we took a private taxi (van) tour with mario, he was GREAT!!! Very informative, friendly and knowledgable , we saw parts of Nassau we never saw before!!!! If you would like his contact information just email me at megator2@aol.com and I would be happy to share with you He met us right at the pier!!!!