4-Day NCL Sky Observations -- Spring Break Overload

LOVE Celebrity. But to be honest, there's not a whole lot to do for kids. And Celebrity PAX enjoy a more refined cruise experience. Events tend to be more mellow, no loud music on the pool deck, limbo lines, etc. That being said, the few kids I saw on the Reflection seemed to be enjoying themselves. And I've heard Celebrity is trying to do more to enhance their kids' offerings.

We also really enjoy RCI. It's more mainstream and lively than Celebrity and there are so many activities it's often hard to decide what to do next. We always walked around with our Day at a Glance in our hands. What's nice is that the newer RCI ships also have interactive LCD monitors on every deck that show you when and where the activities are happening.

Bottom line, you won't be disappointed with either. It's just a question of whether you're looking for a more elegant (Celebrity) or festive (RCI) atmosphere.

I thought RCL would be better. Thanks. I'm looking forward to the Caribbean this summer. I want to eventually do a Mediterranean cruise. I think cruises are the best. I like formal dining but am looking forward to freestyle dining. I bought the ultimate dining package because I really want to eat good food. I also want to do a South American tour. I guess I want to cruise everywhere, lol.. And I love that my son has the travel bug too. Makes for companionship on the tours.

I thought RCL would be better. Thanks. I'm looking forward to the Caribbean this summer. I want to eventually do a Mediterranean cruise. I think cruises are the best. I like formal dining but am looking forward to freestyle dining. I bought the ultimate dining package because I really want to eat good food. I also want to do a South American tour. I guess I want to cruise everywhere, lol.. And I love that my son has the travel bug too. Makes for companionship on the tours.

I get it, and I'm sure most people on these boards get your cruise enthusiasm too. There was a great article in the New York Times last week about how cruising is kind of a guilty pleasure: totally unhip but who cares?http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/travel/the-unhip-unexpected-joys-of-cruising.html?_r=0

I would also love to do a South American sailing. My parents did a 14 night SA last year and loved it.

We didn't try the specialty restaurants on the Sky but the MDR was actually very good, so I'm assuming the specialty venues will be even better. And the buffet was surprisingly good quality.

I get it, and I'm sure most people on these boards get your cruise enthusiasm too. There was a great article in the New York Times last week about how cruising is kind of a guilty pleasure: totally unhip but who cares?http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/travel/the-unhip-unexpected-joys-of-cruising.html?_r=0

I would also love to do a South American sailing. My parents did a 14 night SA last year and loved it.

We didn't try the specialty restaurants on the Sky but the MDR was actually very good, so I'm assuming the specialty venues will be even better. And the buffet was surprisingly good quality.

We should plan a S.A. Cruise sometime. Who knows, it might be really fun!

Thanks, cdamion. I feel that the damage to Carnival's reputation is almost entirely self-inflicted. But perhaps some upper-mid-market snobbery by fans of other lines plays a part. In any case, if Kathie Lee's endorsement wasn't bad enough, their bad press in the past couple years has turned me off completely. Maybe I'm missing out on a good thing. But I'm not willing to potentially sacrifice a week of my coveted annual leave to find out. ;)

Understood. I am just saying that my experience in cruising shows them all to be more similar than different. Give me several lines with reasonably similar prices, I will be on Princess or Royal. My general rule is Carnival for kid trips, Princess for adult trips.

I am on Carnival in 3 weeks for the first time in a couple of years, I will see how the most recent cutbacks are.

I would venture to say you'll be OK. A 7-day sailing on a new ship is less likely to attract a lot of college kids, and the ones that are on your sailing are more likely to be sailing with their parents due to the higher price tag. However, you will probably have a large number of teens -- hopefully, most of them will not be drinking. ;)

Oh I hope you are right. Dont get me wrong, We are pretty thick skinned, and can ignore lots. We will go with a positive attiude to enjoy ourselves and will take everything in our stride. You post has reassured me though, So thank you. :)

7 night cruises may have a few less spring breakers but any cruise in March is going to be packed with kids and spring breakers. Here in Florida all schools from elementary to high school get a week of spring break. College kids get this too. So March is when I never consider cruising. Been there done that. The Sky is sometimes called the "booze cruise" because it is known for weekend getaways for locals. But I have been on the ship twice and did not experience that. With the cheap cruise fares, I would expect even more spring breakers this March. I also don't cruise during Christmas break either.

Edited by david_sobe

OH NO!!! :eek: Dear OP et al, I put my DH on this ship on Friday. :eek: (I'm in California, where we live most of the time, but I arranged the cruise for him). I haven't spoken with him since sail-away on Friday. He didn't mention a lot of kids, just said the pax were a "motley crue".

I told him he should go to Senor Frog's in Nassau- it looks like fun. He's a young 53 but would not tolerate anyone speaking to him the way you described. They'd be missing their front teeth right about now. Sure hope he's not in the pokie. :eek:

Hopefully the 3-nighters are better than the 4-nighters. I'll let you know in the morning.

when it comes to the ship being filled with young people, especially college kids, the 4 dayers and 5 days are going to be the worst.

OP: Sorry you had to have immature hate hurled your way.

Funny, so much hate against Carnival. It is the nature of short cruises on RCI Carnival or NCL. I was on Carnival for a Spring Break cruise a couple years ago, and it was one of the better cruises I have been on. It was 7 days, so Im sure that precluded the partiers.

Don't give up on NCL yet. Give up on short cruises if anything.

I agree, short cruises (4 and 5 day) early to mid March and you will get a bunch of drunken college kids. They can be real jerks, so advise to everyone: don't sail short cruises, regardless of the line in March and don't judge a line based on one short cruise. in fact to judge a cruise line by one March cruise, probably is a bit narrow minded. I know the name calling was the icing on the cake, but, as rude and childish as it is, college kids (frat boys or not) are still growing up, they were drinking too much and hopefully. will eventually realize how stupid and wrong they were: that is, if they even remember what they did and said.

Yes, when I was in college we worked during most breaks, so did my kids, but I look at my grandkids. 2 of them are married now, the kids of their own, but I do remember, not that many years ago when they did their spring break partying. I am sure they want to forget a few of those days.

Edited by newmexicoNita

"LOVE Celebrity. But to be honest, there's not a whole lot to do for kids. And Celebrity PAX enjoy a more refined cruise experience. Events tend to be more mellow, no loud music on the pool deck, limbo lines, etc"

You may want to take a look at the CELEBRITY boards. There have been a lot of complaints lately regarding the volume of music being played around the ship. Seems they are trying to reach a new demographic and think loud music is the way to do it. My partner and I left CELEBRITY a few years back when the hype no longer met the reality. Comparing a 4 day spring break cruise, to a 7 day "any other time of the year" cruise, regardless of the cruiseline, really doesn't seem fair.

"LOVE Celebrity. But to be honest, there's not a whole lot to do for kids. And Celebrity PAX enjoy a more refined cruise experience. Events tend to be more mellow, no loud music on the pool deck, limbo lines, etc"

You may want to take a look at the CELEBRITY boards. There have been a lot of complaints lately regarding the volume of music being played around the ship. Seems they are trying to reach a new demographic and think loud music is the way to do it. My partner and I left CELEBRITY a few years back when the hype no longer met the reality. Comparing a 4 day spring break cruise, to a 7 day "any other time of the year" cruise, regardless of the cruiseline, really doesn't seem fair.

DCT61, I wasn't explicitly comparing my 7-day on =X= to my 4-day on NCL, at least not in a vacuum. I was responding to mommysoncruiser's question about my experience on =X=.

I'm aware that some PAX have complained about alleged loud music on =X= but I don't get it. Maybe I'm not as sensitive, but the comments by some reviewers that mentioned loud "rap music" on deck are really off the wall. I never heard loud music period, let alone loud RAP music when we sailed on the Reflection in December. :confused:

We really enjoyed =X= and found opportunities to relax in tranquility everywhere, from the Hideaway to the Aqua spa. We were booked in Aqua Class, so maybe PAX in other categories had a different experience, I don't know. But if the goal is to relax, =X= really does it for us.

Understood. I am just saying that my experience in cruising shows them all to be more similar than different. Give me several lines with reasonably similar prices, I will be on Princess or Royal. My general rule is Carnival for kid trips, Princess for adult trips.

I am on Carnival in 3 weeks for the first time in a couple of years, I will see how the most recent cutbacks are.

Please do let us know. I'm curious to know how fans of RCI perceive cruising on Carnival nowadays.

Oh I hope you are right. Dont get me wrong, We are pretty thick skinned, and can ignore lots. We will go with a positive attiude to enjoy ourselves and will take everything in our stride. You post has reassured me though, So thank you. :)

Good. With the right attitude, I'm sure you will have a fabulous time. Happy cruising!! :)

I agree, short cruises (4 and 5 day) early to mid March and you will get a bunch of drunken college kids. They can be real jerks, so advise to everyone: don't sail short cruises, regardless of the line in March and don't judge a line based on one short cruise. in fact to judge a cruise line by one March cruise, probably is a bit narrow minded. I know the name calling was the icing on the cake, but, as rude and childish as it is, college kids (frat boys or not) are still growing up, they were drinking too much and hopefully. will eventually realize how stupid and wrong they were: that is, if they even remember what they did and said.

Yes, when I was in college we worked during most breaks, so did my kids, but I look at my grandkids. 2 of them are married now, the kids of their own, but I do remember, not that many years ago when they did their spring break partying. I am sure they want to forget a few of those days.

I understand your point, but as I said earlier, the problem I had was with the apparent indifference by NCL guest services and the perception that at times, the Sky staff had sort of lost control (or never exerted it in the 1st place). Did I mention that there was even a situation where an obviously drunk kid who was jumping all around the edges of the pool slipped, cracked his head on the side of the pool and fell into the water unconscious? The med staff immediately pulled him out and brought him down to the infirmary but why was he even allowed to be going crazy in the 1st place? It really felt like at times the patients were running the asylum. I would doubt your grandkids were as wild and disorderly as many of these houligans.

I understand your point, but as I said earlier, the problem I had was with the apparent indifference by NCL guest services and the perception that at times, the Sky staff had sort of lost control (or never exerted it in the 1st place). Did I mention that there was even a situation where an obviously drunk kid who was jumping all around the edges of the pool slipped, cracked his head on the side of the pool and fell into the water unconscious? The med staff immediately pulled him out and brought him down to the infirmary but why was he even allowed to be going crazy in the 1st place? It really felt like at times the patients were running the asylum. I would doubt your grandkids were as wild and disorderly as many of these houligans.

no they were not that bad, or God let's hope not, but I still think we have to remember back to those days and shutter at what we may have done. Now, as for the lack of control, what happened to the kid, you are right, he should have been stopped, but I also realize there is a thin line as to when the cruise line can or should step in and I am not the one that can determine it. I am glad I don't have to make a decision when to say enough is enough.

• 2 weeks later...
when it comes to the ship being filled with young people, especially college kids, the 4 dayers and 5 days are going to be the worst.

We are going on the Sky in November for our first cruise. We are in our mid-50's age wise but do like to have fun.

I know kids are back in school at that time, but Veterans Day falls during that week, so there is a Holiday for schools.

Should this make any impact on the type of crowds we would have on our cruise? Any schools have the whole week off around that time? I am aware that there will be a mixed group of ages on the cruise because it is a shorter cruise and it is cheaper.

Edited by sunflower47

I know kids are back in school at that time, but Veterans Day falls during that week, so there is a Holiday for schools.

Should this make any impact on the type of crowds we would have on our cruise? Any schools have the whole week off around that time? I am aware that there will be a mixed group of ages on the cruise because it is a shorter cruise and it is cheaper.

Most only have the day off, and it falls on the 11th which is a Tuesday so they won't be making a long weekend out of it. I think won't have to worry about obnoxious crowds that the OP encountered.

We are going on the Sky in November for our first cruise. We are in our mid-50's age wise but do like to have fun.

Every school district is different but I don't think most of them have much of a vacation time for veterans day. I could be wrong. Even then it shouldn't be like spring break. The biggest problem with spring break is the college crowd. Plus, lets just say: it rare for anyone to not enjoy their first cruise. it is like your first anything, it is almost magical.. Have a great experience...