Disney dream or carnival sunshine

woohoo1

i have an 8 yr old. i no carnival is alot cheaper but disney is 5 star. ive only gone on carnival and the epic on ncl. the price for a 4 n on disney is about the same for carnival 7 day. i just want this cruise to be xtra special. thanks for any info

Never cruised Carnival personally, but my kids (9, 7, 5) were on the Carnival Dream with my ex. They had a wonderful time. However, I did the Disney Dream with them last summer and was completely blown away. Yes, it's more money, but I would at least do it once. I do like the other cruise lines, but Disney is in a class by themselves.

The new Carnival ships are AWESOME! I've never been on one of the shorter Carnival cruises that people say have the "spring break" drunken party atmosphere....ours have all been a week long, and we've had a great time.

I honestly think the newer Carnival ships (such as the Sunshine) have so much more to offer than Disney does. More dining options...upsell and non-upsell....I love that they have the different "stations" at the buffet, the pools and slides are just as much fun as the Aqua Duck....and the kids can do them more often, because the lines for the Aqua Duck are almost always long.

Their kids' clubs look fantastic.....and they have more private "adult only" areas than DCL.

For the money, I'd definitely try one of Carnival's newer ships, but we've cruised on Disney enough times that it really isn't that big of a deal to my family any more....definitely not worth how much more Disney is charging now.

It's a really personal choice, I believe. If your child is really wild about the Disney characters, then of course Disney would be a good idea. Otherwise, not so much.

Carnival has been working really hard to lose their "drunken party" reputation. That said, I wouldn't take any Carnival cruise of less than 7 days--the shorter the cruise, the worse the atmosphere.

The issue is that you KNOW Disney will be good. With Carnival, it can be hit or miss. Tough choice.

I wouldn't say I'd agree with the above statement "You KNOW Disney will be good"....because you don't know. There have been times when things haven't gone well, for a lot of people, only one person, the whole ship, whatever.....things can and DO happen.

And a "good time" is different to everyone. So is "worth it". (My words, not a quote)

Disney is just as vulnerable to the Noro virus, to bad seas, to bad service at times, to predators....the one thing you need to do is to NOT take any ONE SINGLE review to heart. Some people are just not happy no matter what, and some people are far easier to please. Balance out the good and the bad.

Check the Carnival threads for any reviews of the newer ships. We were on the Magic (Carnival) when it first came out, and it was so wonderful. Kids had a great time, we had a great time.

You are right that not everything is perfect on DCL. In 30 DCL cruises, we've had LOTS of stuff go wrong. However, DCL does put forth serious effort to make things right.

I'll also add that some of our issues were serious, some were minor. Most we reported, a few we ignored. No, you can't depend on everything being perfect....but you can count on them making a good effort to make it right.

And noro virus is more likely thanks to some of your fellow guests than to the cruise line. I've never seen any other line clean like DCL does, but outbreaks happen on any line.

I don't believe that Carnival's product is anywhere near the class of DCL. With that said, Carnival can be fun for a family cruise (7 nights or more), but I would take DCL over Carnival hands down, no matter how more expensive it is. Did the Carnival Breeze and it was nice but nothing to write home about.

I would say it depends on you. Personally. We wouldn't do Disney again. It only had to do with the value for us. We just didn't think it was worth the cost. But we have five kids so that can make all the difference.

It really is going to depend on what is more important to you.

FWIW. We got the norovirus on the Disney Fantasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Marcie and Jay

Five kiddos ages 2-15

Grand Rapids,

Michigan

Carnival fascination 2001

Disney fantasy 2011

RCCL Allure of the Seas 2013

Edited by iublondie25

Only you can really make the choice, everyone will have differing opinions.

I wouldn't go on a Carnival Cruise again if it was free but wouldn't hesitate to to sail DCL again. To us, in our overall experiences the difference is night and day for our needs.

If you can afford to do DCL just this once, I would say go for it.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Before I ever did cruise Carnival, I'd gone on at least 8 Disney cruises, a couple of NCL and one Princess...and because I believed what I'd heard about Carnival, I used to say I wouldn't go on Carnival unless it was free.

Then my friend took me on a Carnival cruise that she'd already paid for. We had a blast! We don't drink, so we weren't there to party, and didn't see any of those nasty things I'd heard about.

Now I've gone on 5 Carnival cruises, the best being on the newer ships....but still haven't seen anything "bad". Rooms are just as clean....love their aft wrap-around balcony rooms....food was good with a lot of choices...service excellent...more things for young adults and adults to do.

I guess it is subjective...definitely, not guess....but getting from one island to another and being comfortable, entertained, well fed, safe...and having more money left over is a good thing.

We sailed on the Disney Dream in January and are going on the Disney Magic in 4 days. We are also booked on the Carnival Dream this fall. We loved the Disney Dream but there's only 1 water slide (Aqua Duck) compared to the Waterworks on Carnival ships. The Sunshine also has tons of new dining venues (Hello, Guy's Burgers!) My daughter preferred the kids clubs on Carnival simply because there was a lot less kids and she actually got to know some of the counselors. Carnival has 10-12 vs. DCL's 45! Yes, there were characters on Disney but also very long lines for every one. And don't get me started on the number of screaming, over tired babies on the Disney Dream. Gah!!

-Kelly

One needs to be fair in comparing cruises. A 4 night cruise on any line is different than a 7 night cruise. We were shocked on our 3 night cruise at the difference between a 3 and a 4 (we did a 4/3 B2B). You have to compare a 7 night on DCL to a 7 night on Carnival when discussing the amount of fun, kid progamming, etc. OK, one can compare prices (4/5 nights on DCL may equal 7 nights on another line)...Just an opinion.

I did a 7 day on the Carnival Dream last March and then a 3 night on the Disney Dream a month later in April.

After getting off my Gold status Carnival, I thought I didn't care if I ever cruised again. I was 'cruised out' and done. Until Dad decided with all the mechnical failures of CCL (this is truth, not meant to pick an argument, first the Triumph in Feb and then our ship got stuck and cancelled sailings just over a week after we got off of it) that Mom wouldn't go on a cruise unless it was a Disney cruise, and he was right, she is a bit paranoid and would not have gone on a CCL. He booked it to surprise her and we all flew and drove in to surprise them.

That 3 night was the most amazing experience for us. We have a 4day planned next. For the price of the 7 Day Interior Dream (somewhat newer ship? which was WAY crowded and super unfriendly with the worst service across every dining experience, breakfast to dinner) we got a 3 night last minute veranda deal on Disney. Same price, unbelievable deluxe veranda room. Best room I have ever had ever. This next one is a 4 day and it is the same price but its interior (so far). So we find we can cruise the same price for a few less but absolutely awesome days on Disney. The only difference are the trivia/karaoke/hairy chest contest sea days that CCL offers. Not much of a selling point for me.

I know some people like longer vacation, but I was just ready to get off that ship. Considering we spend over $1500 when it was said and done (more when you consider boarding dogs, gas, cruise parking) that is a lot of money to spend just to be glad to be home. I'd rather spend that, hit a day or two at th e park, and have an unbelievable cruise experience.

So i won't be cruising CCL any more if I can help it. The only way I would is if my honey takes me on our DCL first and THEN drags me on the CCL with our booze cruise loving friends...and even then, the horrible service, non stop bingo sales in yo face, and photo heckling, and constant 'buy a drink' heckling and waiting for waters after a hot sunny day would not be an experience I would look forward too. I seriously wish CCL would go back to the way they were in 2007-11 when they had happy staff, great menus, happy service, and weren't so desperate...

I'll gladly sail 3 or 4 days with DCL than set foot on another CCL. That is based solely on my last two sailings. On the other hand, we have very high expectations for Disney and on almost everything, we were just amazed.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

I have been on the Disney Magic and Carnival Sunshine both Med cruises.

My DS actually preferred Carnival, he was 14 when he cruised.

I loved Carnival too because of the price. To be honest I was dreading it being a die hard Disney fan, and a bit of a cruise snob. I had heard terrible things about Carnival, but I enjoyed it so much I cancelled my upcoming Fantasy cruise and booked on the Carnival Breeze for this summer. I did have a 5e stateroom booked too, the one with the biggest balcony going. I still can't believe I gave that up.

Disney has much nicer decor throughout the ship, the wait staff change their uniforms each night to match your themed dining room and you get fancier food and free cakes in cove cafe. Those were the only differences. Everything else was great, especially the water park.

I thought Carnival entertainment on a night was better than Disney's for adults. My DS never saw a show on either ship too busy making friends. Save your money and try Carnival. My DH said if we don't try them we don't know and how right he was.

Edited by heatherbelle

Save your money and try Carnival. My DH said if we don't try them we don't know and how right he was.

They already HAVE tried CCL... That's the difference. You had already done DCL and were giving CCL a shot. They have already done CCL and NCL so they already know what to expect. Having said that, I personally think they should at least get to try DCL once so THEY can form an opinion. They want an extra special cruise and there is NOTHING special or magical about Carnival. I stopped getting excited years ago when I stepped on board. Its just a glitzy hotel that takes you to some amazing places. The ports have always been great, the sea days, not so much. So that's all you are getting for 7 days on CCL, a few extra sea days, compared to a stunning 3-4 day cruise with impeccable service (speaking from my own experience, I know not everyone has that experience) but there is nothing magical about a Carnival cruise.

For myself personally, I LOVED the shows on the Disney Dream because from a vocal perspective, the talent was outstanding. It was also nice to be served in the dining room. I'm not being snotty, but I have been cruising since I was 11 and serving yourself drinks in the MDR (like when I had to pour my own coffee on the CCL Dream at the fancy breakfast) is just below par, even for CCL.

My own opinion? Save your money and don't book CCL. Stay home. That's what I would like to do the next time CCL comes up on our radar. At least then I can communicate with those who are taking my food orders and not get sick throughout the cruise. DCL is much better equipped to handle food sensitivities and the serving staff on our last one couldn't be bothered. They were overwhelmed and couldn't understand us. The 3 person serving team is a horrible idea.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

From someone who has sailed both lines, with a child I would do Disney in a heartbeat. The increased cost is absolutely worth it for those of us with kids. Young adults I would advise to sail Carnival and save their money. I didn't feel at all uncomfortable leaving my daughter in the kids clubs on Disney, letting her run to the other side of the pool deck for pizza ect. I would NEVER do that on a Carnival ship. MY experience, and mind you it is just MINE, is that there are entirely to many young and or drunk adults who don't mind what they are doing or who is around to let my kid loose on a carnival ship in any way shape or form.

She was a 10 year old allowed to age up into the tween club "The Edge" on our last Disney cruise and I had no problem letting her run around in a group doing scavenger hunts, going for pizza ect. Definitely wouldn't be an option on Carnival for us, but even if it was, there is no such program. Kids under 12 are stuck in their conference room kids programming which frankly, isn't very interesting.

I have not sailed Carnival, but have sailed the Disney Dream twice and both times the kids LOVED Disney Dream! We have also sailed Royal Caribbean twice and hands down for the kiddos I would recommend Disney Dream. There is nothing like it that I have sailed. Kids at the time we sailed were 9 and 12 and the 12 year olds said they didn't think that they would have a lot to do, but didn't want to get off the ship by the end of the trip.

From someone who has sailed both lines, with a child I would do Disney in a heartbeat. The increased cost is absolutely worth it for those of us with kids. Young adults I would advise to sail Carnival and save their money. I didn't feel at all uncomfortable leaving my daughter in the kids clubs on Disney, letting her run to the other side of the pool deck for pizza ect. I would NEVER do that on a Carnival ship. MY experience, and mind you it is just MINE, is that there are entirely to many young and or drunk adults who don't mind what they are doing or who is around to let my kid loose on a carnival ship in any way shape or form.

She was a 10 year old allowed to age up into the tween club "The Edge" on our last Disney cruise and I had no problem letting her run around in a group doing scavenger hunts, going for pizza ect. Definitely wouldn't be an option on Carnival for us, but even if it was, there is no such program. Kids under 12 are stuck in their conference room kids programming which frankly, isn't very interesting.

Be very careful thinking that your daughter is safer on a Disney cruise than she would be on any other cruise line. There are predators everywhere, and Disney had an incident (one of their crew members and a young girl) within this past year. NEVER let your daughter do anything on Disney that you wouldn't let her do on another line, or at a hotel, or anywhere. This comes from one Mom/Grandma to another....just an FYI.

In fact, I've often thought that if I were a predator, where else to go but Disney? There are a LOT more unsupervised kids there than anywhere...:(

Sunshine is an old ship with lots of extra cabins and venues crammed in. Many reasons for subpar reviews. Carnival? Sure, possibly. But not the Sunshine; just too many issues on a poorly executed updating of an old ship. If you want to have a lot of fun with kids but not bust the budget look at RCI Voyager-class or Freedom-class ships.

If it is a budget issue, do Carnival; if not, do DCL. We were given a free cruise for two from the Atlantis on any Carnival cruise. We selected a six night on the Breeze in July. While booking, I was blown away by the lack of information on the website about the staterooms, etc. the entire idea of a soda card was beyond me!

I have booked 4 cruises on DCL via the website. It is easy to navigate and provides all the information a cruiser could want to know before sailing. Disney is a class act; hands down. and NO soda card!

For my family DCL is worth the money. We are booked on the concierge deck for our next Disney cruise for this September. I am more excited about that trip than the free trip on Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it is a budget issue, do Carnival; if not, do DCL. We were given a free cruise for two from the Atlantis on any Carnival cruise. We selected a six night on the Breeze in July. While booking, I was blown away by the lack of information on the website about the staterooms, etc. the entire idea of a soda card was beyond me!

I have booked 4 cruises on DCL via the website. It is easy to navigate and provides all the information a cruiser could want to know before sailing. Disney is a class act; hands down. and NO soda card!

For my family DCL is worth the money. We are booked on the concierge deck for our next Disney cruise for this September. I am more excited about that trip than the free trip on Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nothing makes me crazier than the "soda card" or "free soda on DCL" issue.

It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. You don't HAVE to buy a soda card.

If you paid even as little as $1000 more for a Disney cruise, then you've MORE than paid for any soda you might have to pay for on another line. Anyone who drinks that much soda needs to see a dentist anyway.

The "free soda" on DCL is only available at the ONE drink station on the pool deck, and with meals. If you're in a club, playing Bingo, or at a show, are you really going to run all the way up to the pool deck to get a small cup of soda??:confused:

I avoid the whole issue by taking my own soda onboard....even on Disney, because I'm a Pepsi drinker.

And I have to disagree about Carnival's website. I've not had a problem seeing anything on there that I've needed to see....unless it's a new ship that's not out yet, like when I was booking the Getaway....but that was easy, because I looked at its sister ship...same rooms, same deck plans.....

Plus, you can always look here, or Google to find pictures and more.

For extra special, I'd do Disney. There is something very special about a Disney cruise - almost intangible - from the moment they "announce" your arrival onto the ship. The service is top notch. All of the crew/CMs are so nice - everyone has a smile and says hello. Our 4 yr old can't get enough of the characters and princesses. The shows are excellent - and much more family friendly that what you'll find on Carnival. Dinner is an affair - all of the waiters/assistants love the kids and entertain them. The AP dining room is fun. Castaway Cay is a great day too!

We were last on the Carnival Breeze (during its inaugural year) after not being on Carnival in quite a while. It was a very different "atmosphere" and while there were some positives there just weren't enough to persuade me to go on Carnival again.

I agree with MizDaisy on this issue. I would never allow a little one to be unattended on any ship including Disney ships. Predators are everywhere and I do believe that a child predator would go where the children are.

When my girls were 11 and 14 at Disney World, I watched them like a hawk and they never left my sight. Even though we felt like we were in a fantasy world, I never let my guard down.