Comphrensive list of "Code" calls

jrpend

I don't see how knowing what the codes are is a bad thing. I am curious myself.

Now, if you hear a code and run to go see what is happening, that is a bit crappy.

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with being aware of what is going on around you especially when you are in a situation when you are not the one in control as on a ship, plane, bus, etc. I for one would feel more comfortable if I knew what a code was when called, just to be aware of whether it may or may not involve myself or my family. I am one of those that like to be prepared for whatever circumstance may come my way. If I knew the codes and it was something that did not directly involve me, I would probably say a silent prayer for whomever was involved and then go on about my business. There is nothing wrong with general curiosity either. Morbid curiosity and imposing yourself into scene where a problem may be occurring is a different matter entirely. However, I don't believe that was the OPs intent with the question.

I don't think I am usually overly sensitive, however, if I were the OP and asked a general question out of curiosity I would be offended (and less likely to ever ask a question on CC again) had someone told me I needed to "mind my own business". To me that is just rude and uncalled for. It is one reason CC gets such a bad name. Maybe it is just me, maybe not, but I think if you don't want to answer an OPs question for whatever reason, just don't and keep the judgmental opinions to yourself.

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with being aware of what is going on around you especially when you are in a situation when you are not the one in control as on a ship, plane, bus, etc. I for one would feel more comfortable if I knew what a code was when called, just to be aware of whether it may or may not involve myself or my family. I am one of those that like to be prepared for whatever circumstance may come my way. If I knew the codes and it was something that did not directly involve me, I would probably say a silent prayer for whomever was involved and then go on about my business. There is nothing wrong with general curiosity either. Morbid curiosity and imposing yourself into scene where a problem may be occurring is a different matter entirely. However, I don't believe that was the OPs intent with the question.

I don't think I am usually overly sensitive, however, if I were the OP and asked a general question out of curiosity I would be offended (and less likely to ever ask a question on CC again) had someone told me I needed to "mind my own business". To me that is just rude and uncalled for. It is one reason CC gets such a bad name. Maybe it is just me, maybe not, but I think if you don't want to answer an OPs question for whatever reason, just don't and keep the judgmental opinions to yourself.

Totally agree with everything you stated. Wish there was a like button!

I agree, very well stated. Saying a prayer is something I had not thought about. I am one who will do that when I hear an ambulance or fire truck.

As a former paramedic and registered nurse I think the codes are interesting.

I also know not to interfere.

If I knew there was an emergency in a certain area I would steer clear of it.

My thoughts exactly! :)

I agree 100%!

As a former paramedic and registered nurse I think the codes are interesting. I also know not to interfere. If I knew there was an emergency in a certain area I would steer clear of it.

On our last cruise my daughter actually passed out and a code was called. I am very grateful for the EMT on vacation who was near enough to stop and ask if would like him to assist us until the ship's medic arrived. I am grateful he was a professional EMT and as such he did not steer clear of our situation. IF you do not have necessary skillset by all means steer clear of medical situations but if you can help you could at least ask if you can be of assistance until professionals appear. On Carnival it did not take long at all for the medical staff to appear but we were still grateful for the EMT because at least we knew she was not dead.

• 2 weeks later...
I always thought what you say is Code Winnie was Code Baby Ruth. Oops! Just saw it earlier in the list. I'd like to say a Rosanna Dana Never Mind. :):):):)

I'm pretty sure I've encountered Code Winnie ... and I might have encountered Code Baby Ruth as well. Not bad for someone who's been only two cruises, eh? ;-)

I've been on bridge tours of NCL and all the codes are posted over the emergency station on the bridge. NCL Code Zulu is a medical emergency usually "Code Zulu Lido Mid" or a location following the code. I don't seem to have a picture uploaded.

Of course Carnival does not let you take pictures on the bridge during the behind the fun tour (nor anywhere else on tour) but they had almost the same setup.

I work for NYC Dept. of Education and each school has their own lock down codes that go over the PA. Still its the old "Mr. Green to the General Office" type thing for some schools.

I found this list online: Code Winnie is cracking me up :p

Bravo Bravo Bravo [port/starboard] – man overboard on port or starboard side

Bright Star – death or medical emergency

Code Adam – missing child (named after Adam Walsh)

Cold Alpha or Alpha Team – medical emergency or fire

Code Baby Ruth – feces in the pool

Code Bravo – fire

Code Delta – damage to the ship or disaster or multiple injuries

Code Orange – early stages of norovirus infection on a ship (Holland America) – buffet is no longer self-serve but pools and other areas remain open

Code Oscar – man overboard

Code Papa – pollution (oil spill, etc)

Code Red – the dreaded norovirus

Code Sierra – medical emergency needing a stretcher

Code Winnie – feces in the pool (Disney)

Fallen Star – death

Priority 1 – fire (Cunard)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I also would like to know the codes.

I work for NYC Dept. of Education and each school has their own lock down codes that go over the PA. Still its the old "Mr. Green to the General Office" type thing for some schools.

Oh, yeah. A classic example of such a coded PA call is in Arthur Hailey's novel Airport (and also in the movie, I think): "Mr. Lester Mainwaring and party, please report to ____________." --Basically, all available security personnel respond to the location given. If just the name is paged without "party," it meant just the nearest security officer would respond.