Do any of you skip the Formal nights?

tings66

Hi-- hubby and I are doing our 2nd Med cruise end of August. It is a port intensive cruise with only one sea day so we know it will be tiring. We want to pack light and are thinking of skipping the Formal nights (I won't have to pack heels, dresses etc...). Not to mention leaving his suit/jacket at home is a plus too. Have any of you done this? regrets?

We skip the MDR every night not just on formal nights and we love dressing to the nines, even in the Mediterranean. We have a 14 night cruise on the Silhouette in October. We love to take 2-3 formal outfits.

We have cruised the Mediterranean a on number of times... enjoy the ports but don't feel the need to stay in port all day. We generally come back on board, rest in the afternoon, so we can enjoy the evening.

Do find the service and food in the MDR so so -- that is why we skip the MDR. We have no regrets skipping the MDR. The first time we did so was on the Eclipse on a Mediterranean cruise, after 5 nights in the MDR we could not take it any longer.

It is your cruise, do what works for you. If doing formal nights is not your thing skip it.

We now book Aqua where formal night is just like every other night...smart casual. Additionally, all of the specialty restaurants are "smart casual" every night.

I was amused to find that most people dressed up in blu 2 weeks ago on the Constellation for formal night.

Almost all of the men wore a jacket mostly with ties with the women wearing "dressier" clothing then on the other evenings.

This is not an editorial comment. Frankly I don't care what others wear. From a psychological point of view it was interesting.

"We" didn't have to dress up and yet "we" did. :confused::D

Well, I can say it only "wears off" for some. DW has been on just under 100 cruises (she used to own a TA) and I've been on 25 or so before & after our marriage a few years ago. We still enjoy our formal nights together on board together. She enjoys getting dressed up, I enjoy how beautiful & sexy she looks when she does & am more than happy to dress up for her too. Of course, we still love getting dressed up for "date nights" out on the town at home too. So it may have "worn off" for you, just don't assume that's true for everyone! :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Always dine in the MDR on formal nights. Yes we dress nicer that usual, maybe a sport coat but never formal. Dress is now all over the place from ill fitting suits, to old and dated clothes, or clothes that no long fits and old body well ,to the WOW factor of fabulous clothes.

DO NOT BELIEVE ThAT YOU MUST DRESS in FORMAL WEAR on Formal nights.

Well, I can say it only "wears off" for some. DW has been on just under 100 cruises (she used to own a TA) and I've been on 25 or so before & after our marriage a few years ago. We still enjoy our formal nights together on board together. She enjoys getting dressed up, I enjoy how beautiful & sexy she looks when she does & am more than happy to dress up for her too. Of course, we still love getting dressed up for "date nights" out on the town at home too. So it may have "worn off" for you, just don't assume that's true for everyone! :)
LetsGetWet (Gary) - that is a beautiful comment, and I hope you always keep the spark alive.

Formal night makes me think of Frank Sinatra singing "The Way You Look Tonight" - a classic for all generations.

Unfortunately, we likely won't be hearing much from Frank given Celebrity's new focus on loud thumping music.

Edited by gblotter

So it may have "worn off" for you, just don't assume that's true for everyone! :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Oops, I would never assume that's true for everyone...as I said... it was just my opinion. Glad you enjoy dressing for formal night;)

I feel like the food in the MDR is better on formal nights, and my DH enjoys those nights the best, yet hates to "dress up." We seem to be able to get wonderful waiters who really do enjoy serving their customers, while treating them special!:) There are so many clothes available that are extremely comfy too, so we feel it is a win-win! However, I believe everyone should do exactly what they want on those nights for dinner!

Edited by Lastdance