Tucan/Toucan Costa Maya Tours

alexgtp

We just came back from NCL Epic cruise with a stop in Costa Maya (March 13th 2014).

We decided to walk out of the gated Port and walk in the old Hurricane ravaged town of Costa Maya. I am so happy we did. We walked around and pretty much only saw a taxi stand, a Maya Jade Museum (check it out some nice Mayan/Guatemalan textiles), and a little informational booth that was selling tours.

As we approached the booth we soon realized it was a trap!! It was a local company selling "tours". But when she said we can take you to Chacchoben for only $45 we stopped and listened to their Saleswoman try and sell us this tour. My wife and I really wanted to go but never booked the tour on the ship or with the other vendor nativechoice. So we went ahead and booked excusrion Best decision of our trip.

About 15 minutes later Air conditioned micro bus showed up and the 10 of us waiting got in and proceeded on our way to Chacchoben

Our driver Carlos was a local. He had 2 kids and a wife very young guy. He spoke very little English. But he got us there quickly and safely and when applicable he would give us key information about the City and city sites. Luckily, my wife and I we are fluent in Spanish (Native Guatemalans of Mayan ancestry) and spoke with Carlos the entire drive there and back. We talked about everything from local politics to food. He stopped the bus at a local little market so we could buy drinks and snacks. Costa Maya has a little town on the way to the ruins where they are known for Pineapples. Carlos was kind enough to buy the bus some fresh cut pineapples and they were Delicious!~~

The Tour Guide was a woman named Diana. She was of Mexican descent and spoke English very well. She is very passionate about Mayan culture and has a degree in Anthropology or one of those type of degrees in Mayan Culture. She is very well versed in Mayan culture/astronomy/astrology/ daily life. She gives one of the best tours I have experienced in a long time. She gives you alot of information and some pretty cool tid bits about Chacchoben and other Mayan cities.

If you get the chance go ahead and book this excursion when in Costa Maya. Can't beat the price and wealth of information you will receive! Also some great photos to be had in Chacchoben.

http://www.tucancostamaya.com/