How "clean" is the food?

Cruising4

..... A slice of whole wheat bread will raise your blood sugar and trigger an insulin response faster than a snickers bar\[\QUOTE]

Yep. Snickers bar is significantly lower on the GI scale than a slice of WHOLE WHEAT bread. (Hint: It has to do with the peanuts.) Just like peanut M&Ms are a better choice than plain.

And no, I'm not suggesting we should all give up wheat bread for candy. Just making a point. :).

I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

wow you guys are brainwashed and misinformed. "hint it has to do it with the peanuts" lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz LORD.. this is the twilight zone

the whole plan i typed was to eliminate processed foods, only eat the whole foods. i don't eat a processed piece of food.... ever, noting. anything they cook will be soaked in fat. you won't be able to eat any lean protein other than an egg white. so how do you combat that? don't voluntary eat fat sources.

When on a ship I try to eat grilled meats wherever possible or fish. I know I cannot avoid that they will use vegetable oils and fats created in a chemistry lab but at home I eat animal fats such as whole milk, butter, lard and the fat that is in the meat itself. I don't seek out lean meats.

Fermented grapes (I finished off the bottle with a nice rare steak tonight); distilled grain (which I am currently drinking whilst laughing at this thread) - I suppose these are processed foods. I'm done for I guess.:rolleyes:

Thank God for our local farmer's market with proper, traceable, unadulterated produce.

Edited by SteveH2508

Diabetics is a totally different thing, obviously a piece of wheat bread will raise your insulin too high if you are a diabetic. If you are diabetics then i don't know waht to day

You never caught on did you that some of us have genuine health problems that are getting solved by eating what we have found is the right diet for us.

We are not fad dieters we are people trying to save our lives.

This may be a good spot to either go back to joking around or to just drop the whole thing. Otherwise, we move on to Monsanto, Roundup, Agent Orange, and the like so maybe we ought to just have a good smoking v nonsmoking debate or a good chair hog debate in order to calm things down.

Good call and it has :(

wow you guys are brainwashed and misinformed. "hint it has to do it with the peanuts" lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz LORD.. this is the twilight zone

STOP IT !!!!! I can eat peanuts all day and suffer no ill effects. Others can eat one peanut and be deathly ill. I have a friend who gets very ill if she eats anything that has been close to seafood.

There is no one food that is good or bad for all people.

Doctors get paid to push certain medicines and certain foods.

I remember when eggs and milk were good for you, then bad for you, then good for you.

It depends on who is paying for the commercials !!!!

Edited by swedish weave

I remember when eggs and milk were good for you, then bad for you, then good for you.

It depends on who is paying for the commercials !!!!

Sadly, I do too. Actually if I had listened to all the hype, even from doctors, so called or self-proclaimed experts, statistic, studies, reports or the "flavour of the week" etc etc, for all of these years, I'm sorry to say I would have starved because nothing could have passed through my lips.

Edited by che5904

You never caught on did you that some of us have genuine health problems that are getting solved by eating what we have found is the right diet for us.

We are not fad dieters we are people trying to save our lives.

i see that now, obviously eating carbs and bread can be bad for your health if you have issues. we are 2 totally differnt levels now.

cruise on.

When on a ship I try to eat grilled meats wherever possible or fish. I know I cannot avoid that they will use vegetable oils and fats created in a chemistry lab but at home I eat animal fats such as whole milk, butter, lard and the fat that is in the meat itself. I don't seek out lean meats.

Ditto! :) and olive oil!

I have allergies to many ingredients in processed foods, especially some "flavor enhancers", plus a few other ingredients (disodium products, sulfites, and phosphates are some of the more common ones). I have had allergic reactions on board to some frozen drinks, which later I found were sometimes made with cartons of mixers (ie the Dirty Banana, one of my faves IF made with fresh banana and not banana mixer). I often react to Asian foods when made with pre-packaged sauces, so I just skip them altogether. While it's a little more difficulty to eat on board than it is when cooking myself, I simply stick with as much unprocessed food as possible and generally do just fine. For example, just returned from the Gem. We brought a small blender for our included alcohol bottles, and I requested various mixers, as natural as possible. When reading ingredients, I found I could have the Peach mixer no problem, but the piña colada mixture contained ingredients dangerous to me, so I skipped it and instead used pineapple juice, the peach mixer, and fresh fruit from the buffet.

I have found that most of the regular food on NCL is fairly pure - if you know what health issues you have - and is generally as safe as eating out locally. It's not easy to deal with allergies with processed food ingredients, and it's not like an allergy to a specific food (ie nuts, shellfish, etc) and not worth it for me to go thru the special needs department as its very hard to monitor. Instead I always get fresh, simple food if possible, have never had a problem with any of the specialties (except the Asian one whcih i don't dare try) and even Teppanyaki is more pure than the restaurant I visit at home. I tend to avoid any dishes that are typically processed just like at home restaurants (avoiding gravy, foods that contain phospahtes like some scallops, etc) and only occasionally will react to something. So far it has worked for me, so I suspect that most of the simple food on NCL (meats, fish, pasta dishes, veggies, etc) are generally not chemically processed, but instead made from fresh, frozen, or canned ingredients. Hope this helps!

Robin

I'm similar to the poster above. I react to many additives so I find the simpler I eat the better. I avoid things processed in jars Asian food and always cook with natural ingredients. I don't have problems with bloating, stomach cramps etc with NCL so I'm guessing most things are made from scratch. Maybe it also depends on what you order. I usually have a poached egg with Canadian bacon on toast with fruit and yoghurt for breakfast. On the Jade they cooked the egg to order for you in the buffet. I usually have a bread roll with meat and salad for lunch from the buffet. Dinner MDR. I also eat steak, meat, vegetables, fries, bread, potato, fish etc.plus some of the desserts. It could depend on what you order. I also eat at Le Bistro.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app