Costa Diadema vs Mariner of the Seas

juanarcin

I was hoping to get some points of views from people who have cruised on Royal Caribbean as well as Costa. Specifically I am interested in Costa's Diadema vs The Mariner of the Seas, but basic thoughts on the cruise-lines themselves are appreciated as well.

I started cruising 2 years ago but have only done 2 Mediterranean cruises and both were on the Mariner. I wanted to do another Med cruise later this year but my available dates don't fall into place with RC which I LOVE! However I did find a great cruise on Costa's Diadema. The thing is that I can't find any reviews for it! the site says it's new so I'm wondering if that's the reason.

I am also taking with me my girlfriend who has never cruised before. Since I've fallen in love with cruising I'm really hoping she'll enjoy it as well so that we can do it more often in the future! So the specific things I'm interested in are comparisons in: balcony rooms, food (I'm really curious about this since the Mariner had tons of food but when I looked at the ships info it only listed 2 restaurants), entertainment (theatre shows specifically), and activities.

On a side note, if anyone has had a trip on the Diadema, can you recommend a floor for stateroom? When choosing a stateroom with balcony I am asked which floor I prefer and they are listed as names vs RC's basic floor number convention. So I have no idea what would be a better option when I have to choose between floors such as 'La Fenice, Bizantino, Perla Di Venere, Millennium Star, Star of India' etc

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks!!!

The Diadema has not bee completed yet.

This ship is based on the Carnival Dream platform. So take a closer look at the ships like Carnival Dream or Breeze and get the idea what the new Diadema is going to look like.

There will be small modifications like open area on the stern. Definitely there will be some internal changes to fit Costa's model - party ship.

The Diadema will be slightly smaller in tonnage, noticeably smaller in open spaces and carry some 600 PAX more than the Mariner.

Expect more crowded ship.

Cabins won't be worse.

Balconies must be slightly smaller. Views from balconies won't be as good as on the RCI ships: many balconies will be spoiled by the presence of a long sunbathing deck below (a rudimentry promenade deck).

The Mariner has beautiful wrap-around promenade deck and unobsructed views from all balconies. Nothing close is possible on the Diadema.

Choose a cabin that does not overlook the sunbathing area or is at least two decks above it.

Food is the weakest part of Costa product. We only can guess if the Diadema is going to offer more dining options than we have seen on Costa so far.

Entertainment program on RCI ships is the best at sea.

Expect traditional variety shows on the Diadema (canned music).

Samsara option (spa facilities & service with a separate dining room) is above and beyond anything of this kind on any RCI ship.

It's a bit overpriced. If you can afford it - try it.

Overall Costa product is below RCI large ships - different leagues.

Nice Costa ships are Luminosa/Deliziosa.

Another pair to look at are Favolosa/Fascinosa.

These four ships (so far) seem to deliver more balanced product (size, number of passengers, quality) than the new Diadema.

Dining options, food variety and quality - that's a problem of these otherwise interesting ships.

We prefer the Brilliance to the Mariner, Deliziosa is a nice ship but the colour scheme was very bright although the two new ships of Costa of which Diadema (Diamond) is one the colour schemes are more laid back than the previous ships.

Costa ships are hardly party ships, the food on Deliziosa in the MDR was far better than it was on two of our MSC cruises although the buffet left a lot to be desired and had little to offer in the late afternoon and closed early in the evening.

It was some years ago that we were on the Deliziosa and things may have changed for the better, one thing is for sure they are a Love them or hate them kind of cruise company with no middle ground.

Would we book with them again ? Yes if the right Itinery at the right time came up for us.