Bonine side effects

Okay, I have in front of me "Dramamine-Less Drowsy Formula" in a 3pack travel size that I bought at BJ's. It says it has Meclizine hydrochloride 25mg per tablet. Is this what Bonine has in it and the same mg's?

I am wondering if I need to get Bonine instead.

Okay, I have in front of me "Dramamine-Less Drowsy Formula" in a 3pack travel size that I bought at BJ's. It says it has Meclizine hydrochloride 25mg per tablet. Is this what Bonine has in it and the same mg's?

I am wondering if I need to get Bonine instead.

In a word, yes, that is Bonine.

Please go read the link I posted above, which again is:

http://www.drugs.com/cons/Bonine.html

There are several brand names for meclizine, among which are (quoting from the link above):

In the U.S.:

Antivert

Antivert/25

Antivert/50

Bonine

Dramamine II

Meclicot

Medivert

Theron

Hi everyone! We set sail on the Mariner in just 5 days. This is our 1st cruise and I have no idea if any of us will get sea sick. Should we all (2 daughters,husband and myself) take the bonine just in case? If so should we take it before bed? Any experiences you have had with/without it would be appreciated. Did it make you drowsy? Thanks!:confused:

Just my two cents.. I always get motion sickness on rides, in the car if I try to read while riding, on the bus if I try to watch a movie while riding.. you get the picture LOL..

I was so worried about sea sickness but did not take anything. I did not have a problem at all. We had a few rough seas, no storms to speak of, but just the usual and did not feel a thing. Just once while in the theater I felt just a bit of strangeness( almost a light headed feeling and a bit of motion) but nothing to worry about and it just lasted a few seconds and didn't bother me anymore the entire trip. It's possible we were hitting some choppy waters and the theater is in the belly of the ship with no windows so that may have caused that feeling.

But the entire trip was drug free and no sea sickness.

I posted this message somewhere else on one of these boards and now I can't find it. :confused:

I always take Ginger Root pills. They calm your stomach and have no side effects, such as drowsiness. I took them the first day or so of the cruise and found later I didn't need them and stopped taking them. I have a real sensitive stomach and found these worked wonders.

You can buy them at Target, Walmart, GNC, and health food market, etc., etc.

Bonine is also absolutely wonderful for preventing after-cruise "land sickness", but let me explain what I mean. Prior to my alaska cruise this summer, I went on 6 other cruises. On those, I took no medication, as I never get sea sick or experience any type of motion sickness. The problem was, after I returned home, I felt like I was on a rocking ship for several MONTHS after the cruise ended. This was very annoying. This time, I took a Bonine every 12 hours, starting the morning we boarded the ship and continuing until the cruise was over. I felt great the whole cruise and I never experienced any after cruise "rocking", What a relief! I noticed a little drowsiness the first couple of days, but I was also sleep deprived so that was not necessarily due to the Bonine. I also noticed no problem with alcohol, although I only had 1 or 2 drinks a night. Bonine will come with me on all cruises in the future!

I hated the way Bonine made me feel and I work in an Emergency Room so I asked one of the Doctor's what he suggested and he said to take Ginger. That was the best thing I could have ever done! My last cruise was the first time I used it and I didn't get sick AT ALL & it had no side effects.

Archived