Bonine side effects

I wasn't thinking and had a mixed drink about an hour after taking a Bonine. Boy, was I OUT! I couldn't even wake up for the midnight buffet!

Here's another warning regarding the patch...and I take full responsibility for my ignorance. I put on the patch on our flight down for the cruise. Later that day, I had a really difficult time reading anything and had to hold all the reading material away from my face to be able to read it. That night on the ship, I could barely read the menu...I was starting to freak out! The next day at Johnny Rockets, my husband noticed that one of my pupils was huge! I went down to the nurse and she kind of smirked and asked, "Did you wash your hands immediately after putting on the patch?" Since I was on the plane, I hadn't. She told me that if your hands aren't washed and any stuff on the patch makes contact with your eye, the pupil will stay large. She said she sees it all the time. ALL THAT TO SAY...if you use the patch, make sure to wash your hands immediatelY!!!

I am not willing to take the chance of ruining this vacation by being sick. I asked my doctor for a prescription for the scalpolomine (sp?) patches. Place one behind your ear and change it every 72 hours...I used it on our first cruise last summer and it worked like a dream. Also, you do need to start at least 1/2 hour before you even get on the ship

I am not a big drinker however I have used Bonine for years on cruises/airplane flights. I have also had one or two drinks and have never noticed any reaction.

I just love Bonine...It really works...take it before you get sick!

I am not a drinker - just an occasional beer or a frozen drink. I am very paranoid about taking any kind of medicine after a drink - can you take Bonine or Dramamine if you have had a drink?

Bonine,Dramamine,Benadryl are all antihistamines, and therefore all sedating(some more,some less). Alcohol is also sedating, soooo, sedation+sedation=super sedation possible. I can take Benadryl by itself and be down for the count.:( Use with caution when drinking(Iwould avoid it), and not just with these drugs, but pain relievers as well(can be bad for your liver)

I am not a drinker - just an occasional beer or a frozen drink. I am very paranoid about taking any kind of medicine after a drink - can you take Bonine or Dramamine if you have had a drink?

I took meclizine on my last cruise and drank alot. I didn't notice any difference. Of course, I took a half a pill at a time, which reduced the dose.

We also take 1/2 a pill at night starting the night before the cruise. It works beautifully for us. I've never had a problem have a drink either.

Also, Bonine (brand name) is a chewable, but there are other meclizine products out there (generic and simply labeled as meclizine) that are regular pills. There are generic chewables too, I think. The generic form is usually quite a bit less expensive than the brand name.

beachchick

I have never taken Bonine until after I have suspected I was getting motion sickness, and it has worked very well even when taken after the symptoms have arrived. It usually takes affect in about 30 minutes for me.

I have also used the Sea Bands with great success, and they are my preferred method of handling my sea sickness. They are very safe and durg free, I like that.

As a point of reference. As a child, and even now, in my adulthood, I am extremely prone to motion sickness in cars, and often throw up while on car trips and could sleep for hours and hours when traveling (my way of handling it, I guess) I have never thrown-up on a cruise, no matter how big or small the ship. When I notice I am extremely tired, I realized I am having a problem. This doesn't happen very often. On our last cruise we had one night and day of very rough seas and I didn't require anything at all. My point being, just because you had motion sickness problems before, in cars, trains, etc, you won't necessarily have problems on a cruise.

Good luck to you and your family.

I saw many posts for Bonine vs Dramamine but nobody mentioned wearing the wristbands and they don't have any medicine in them.

We just came back from our first cruise a week ago and hurricane Emily was on our tail so there was some rocking to our ship on our way back to Tampa. I used to always get motion sickness and my daughter is that way as well. I made sure that I had Bonine and pepto bismol with us before we left. I also bought the last of the wristbands from Walmart, which was only one pair.

My daughter was the only one of our group that felt a little queasy and she wore the wristbands. I felt the rocking of the ship but it never even made my stomach react.

I would advise to not take the Bonine prior to going if you don't know if you get sea sick. There is a very good chance that you won't get sick! The ship will only get rocky if there is a storm or choppy seas and it really isn't all that bad. (kind of feel like you've been drinking a little, an unsteadyness) I have 4 children and the other three were completely fine. My daughter never even felt sick enough not to eat so the wristbands helped her.

I am terrible with motion sickness, even having taken something I still get sick if the seas are rough. That said I have LOTS of experience with cruising and meds. Okay, Bonine works well for me and my daughter, so does the generic version sold at Target. I think you get about 32 pills for the same price as the name brand pills which I think come in tubes of 8 or 10. Kids under 12 should NOT take the LESS DROWSY Dramamine, the ingedients are different and not recommended for kids. The regular Dramamine is okay but you may want to try just a half pill to start with depending on the age of your child. If under 12 definitely just a half pill. As far as waiting until your child feels sick to give them something: NO WAY. This is like waiting for a toddler to tell you they have to go to the bathroom, by the time they tell you they have to go (are feeling sick) it's too late. If the seas are calm that's one thing but if there is any swell at all Iwouldn't wait. Lastly, no one knows your kid like you. If your child is prone to motion sickness you might want to consider giving them a half a pill at least an hour before boarding if not longer to make sure it has hit their system. As for drinking, I usually have at least one drink a day with no problem but when I asked the Pharmacist her response was that she couldn't recommend drinking with any drug in your system. Hope this helps. Joan

We much prefer bonine over dramamine, and also take the "whatever it's called, but it makes you less sleepy" version.

My side effects are similar to a previous poster, which is not sleepiness, but more like a "fogginess" or "medecine head" feeling. So, I cut the dose in half and take the 24 hour dose with 1/2 tablets every 12 hours. Works great and no side effects. I am not a big drinker, but I've never felt any additional side effects with my occasional wine.

I will take 1/2 tablet about an hour before I fly, and another 1/2 tab when on board the ship the first day (approximately 12 hours after the first dose). Then I don't take any more unless I feel symptoms. The full dose in my system for the first 24 hours seems to set me up nicely. If the seas are rough, then we start the 1/2 doses over again.

It is the only thing that lets me sleep through my husband's snoring. :D Handy since on vaca I don't have a den to retreat to.

Honestly though, I also felt kinda loopy even taking them at bedtime. I will try the 1/2 dose next time. Thanks for the tip!

I was on the Explorer back in October of 2002. On our second day, my friend and I felt a little sea sick, so we took a Bonine around 2 in the afternoon. We didn't wake up until the next morning. We missed our first formal night and all of our table mates thought something bad happened to us.

I believe the proper way to use Bonine is to take it at night time, before bed and then you will feel the effects over the next couple of days.

Just make sure you read the directions, I wouldn't want you to miss out on anything like we did. PLUS, we got picked on pretty bad the rest of the cruise.

Because I get seasick watching people on a swing, I've taken Bonine since before

my first cruise in "84. At that time it was prescription only, meclizine. I take one in the

morning before leaving for the ship...about 10am. Then I take another as soon as I

get on the ship. After that I'm fine, except if I'm returning from Cozumel. I've never

seen it not rough then. I don't have more than one or two drinks the first day, and it

has never bothered me. Other people have said they drink a lot, with no problem.

Each person's system is different, though, so err on the side of caution.

I have always thought the dosage for Bonine and Dramamine is a too much-too soon kind of thing. Your system gets snowed and then catches up to the med. That's why I take the half doses over the same time period. It keeps the seasickness away, but I don't get foggy.

• 2 weeks later...

:cool: :confused: I have been sea sick/car sick/ air sick/ etc. for many years, and dreaded travelling anywhere. On a trip to Florida with my 10 year old daughter, 13 years ago, and being sick all the way there, i decided not to not fly back without finding a remedy for this problem. I was fortunate enough to talk with a pharmasist at a Walgreens in Dunedin FL., and he gave me this product to try, and i have never had a problem since!!! It is called 'Meclizine'. I take 2 tablets (chewables) at least 1 hour before i travel and it is good for 12 hours. I have absolutley no side affects, not drowsey, and never have been sick since. I took my first Cruise in 2002, and had no problems. You use to be able to get them off the shelf, but now you have to ask the pharmasist for them (no script), sometimes you have to sign for them, and they will only give you 1 bottle at a time!!! Any questions, just e-mail me!!! :D :p

:cool: :confused: I have been sea sick/car sick/ air sick/ etc. for many years, and dreaded travelling anywhere. On a trip to Florida with my 10 year old daughter, 13 years ago, and being sick all the way there, i decided not to not fly back without finding a remedy for this problem. I was fortunate enough to talk with a pharmasist at a Walgreens in Dunedin FL., and he gave me this product to try, and i have never had a problem since!!! It is called 'Meclizine'. I take 2 tablets (chewables) at least 1 hour before i travel and it is good for 12 hours. I have absolutley no side affects, not drowsey, and never have been sick since. I took my first Cruise in 2002, and had no problems. You use to be able to get them off the shelf, but now you have to ask the pharmasist for them (no script), sometimes you have to sign for them, and they will only give you 1 bottle at a time!!! Any questions, just e-mail me!!! :D :p

Is Meclizine the active ingredient in Bonine?

Do what I did: experiment on dry land long before your cruise with any medication/treatment you are thinking about using on your cruise. I did this and I'm so glad I did.

I took a Bonine one morning when I got to my office. I passed out on my desk. I was so tired I could barely drive home. I laid down on the bed as soon as I got home and woke up the next morning (late) still in my clothes.

I think I'm more sensitive to antihistamines then most people are. I'm so glad I experimented with this while on dry land because if I had done that on the cruise I would have wasted two days of an expensive cruise.

I get motion sickness just watching the rides at Disneyland. Once I get queasy, I'm queasy for two days.

My doctor gave me the patch, plus I'm taking ginger pills and crystalized dehydrated ginger.

Does anyone know of a store where I can walk in and buy the Relief Bands (eletronic ones, not the SeaBands) instead of internet?

It would be helpful to go back and read through the earlier messages on this thread. Meclizine is not new, and at least here in my area, there is no restriction on purchase, it sits right on the shelf next to Dramamine.

This link has a lot of information on it, including dosages, which are different than the post above indicates (for the standard size pills at least). http://www.drugs.com/cons/Bonine.html As indicated in that link, meclizine is available in several brands. Target seems to have a good deal on a generic product, with the price being about 1/4 that of the brand names.

Theron

Archived