Questions about the Golden Princess

esmo

Is your first ship like your first love...you never forget her? The Golden Princess was our first cruise ship and we totally fell in love with cruising on our way to the Mexican Riveria. Since then we have cruised on Royal Caribbean and also 3 times on the Sapphire Princess - which I loved so much an am so sad to see leave for Asia.

Fast forward from 2007 to 2014 and we have once again booked what we hope will be a dream trip on the Golden Princess to Alaska in September. I have been reading the reviews (with lots of grains of salt) and am wondering what kind of shape she is in now. Most of the reviews were fairly negative. I wasn't able to winnow out the "the whole cruise was terrible and we'll never go on Princess again" reviews and the "it was fabulous and nothing was even slightly wrong and we'll never cruise another line" reviews - because they were all pretty much in the middle trending to negative.

We have booked our first ever aft suite and as soon as I did that I began second-guessing myself on the suite, on the aft, on cruising out of Seattle (but that has to stay). So tell me true, tell me all - will the Golden Princess live up to my golden dreams? Is the Promonade Bar still as good a place to people watch as it was in 2007? There is no Alfredo's (I wipe a tear away) - but I did see Vines. Is she in good shape? Trim and seaworthy? Is the crew the friendly, lively group I have become accustomed to on all our Princess cruises? How intrusive is MUTS? And will I regret an aft cabin in Alaska?

Help me get through the next few months by posting all things Golden Princess!

We too like the Golden Princess very much, but haven't been on her for a couple of years, so I can't address her current condition. But I can address being in an aft cabin in Alaska. Our first Alaska cruise was in an aft cabin. We were back the next season in the same cabin. Then, for several years we were not able to book on the art for various reasons. This year we are back in the aft cabin we love. There is nothing to compare to being on the stern. Especially when you are cruising. We have been out there watching whales on both sides of the ship as well as behind us. The schools of dolphins will come up from behind you and follow you for a long time before moving on up one side of the other. If you hear there is a bear on the short on the Port side you can step out and look that way, rather than saying darn, I missed it because I chose a cabin on the Starboard side. When you leave a glacier viewing you can stay out there and watch it fade away in the distance, with a glass of wine or your favorite beverage. Can you tell I love aft cabins?? I can't wait until June to board and enter my little piece of heaven for the trip to Alaska.

Looks like the Golden goes in for a routine "wet dock" shortly after your voyage. That said, she still is in good shape, we sailed on her last year. The only shortcomings is that the buffet hasn't been updated like the Star, Grand, and Sapphire have, but thats not a major issue. I do really enjoy how the the dry and wet saunas are directly adjacent to the lotus pool.

Other than the fact shes about 7 years older from when you last sailed her, I dont think you'll think she looks it. She has aged gracefully.

Our second time on the Golden was in 2012/13 (holiday sailing) so I too can't address the current state of the ship. And our one Alaskan cruise was on the Sapphire (in a far forward inside). But I take the reviews on the front page of this site with a grain of salt. I did look at the recent ones after I had booked that last cruise. A few were pathetically laughable. In fact I had messaged TPTB to suggest that there was a major mistake in one review as the reviewer said they were on the Golden on a Med cruise (and supposedly this was in this decade, when the Golden has been positioned in the Pacific for years:eek:). I think this review was finally taken down or the person who wrote it was asked which ship it really was and that got changed. How can someone take seriously a review when the ship (or hotel or restaurant, etc.) was misstated. The other review I was shaking my head at complained about the Hawaiian music. That person's opinion, but really? You're on a Hawaiian cruise and there's a wonderful duo (that just about everyone else on these cruises give a major thumbs up on) and you think the entertainment stinks because you don't care for Hawaiian music...on a Hawaiian cruise???? So just a statement like that would cause me to disregard the rest of the review. It'll be like someone on an Alaskan cruise complaining it was a terrible cruise because there wasn't any beaches.

On our last cruise, we were in an aft cabin, but it was an inside, on the Aloha deck. We were just steps away from the back door that took us to the deck, where you enjoy the view. We did see plenty of whales (it was prime whale time in Hawaii) from there. And one little staircase up and we were at the back door for the Horizon (the back room where there was usually available tables).

Since you last cruised the Golden she underwent a major drydock in May 2009. The IC was added, the Crown Grill was added along with window suites and new regualr suites on the Sun deck. Lots of great changes. We sailed her on the first cruise after the drydock and loved it.

We were also aboard The Golden last fall and it was just as nice as ever and you can't beat (Crooners/Promenade Bar) for people watching.

We had a midship Caribe suite (for convenience) but an aft one would be super as well.

Have a great cruise!

Mike:)

I choose to do a lot of (short) cruises on the Golden ranging from May 2012 to November 2013. You have heard many comments about the condition of the ship. I want to focus on the staff. They were wonderful. Part of it might have been due the numerous cruises (and recognition) by the staff, but I found them to be very personable and friendly. I watched a hard working waiter advance to Supervisor of the Horizon Court. I'd like to think that our Consummate Host cards were read and he was rewarded for the hard work he gave to Princess.

Everywhere I went, they were helpful and attentive. I spent many hours in Facets. I was always greeted with smiles. I did connect with one of the sales persons and gave him all of my business. I have since seen others on different ships and they still say hello.

I am not sure the staff will be the same. They are coming off a South America season. Many may be leaving.

I do love the deck plans on the Golden. Much better than her sister ship the Star. Ironically, when I had my first cruise with the Golden, I had done a recent cruise on the Coral (still my favorite ship). It was a 2 day repositioning cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver. She had just come out of wet dock. I thought she was "too big", many of the staff were new, and she just seemed to be out of sorts (disconnected, unorganized, etc).

I know you will love her and have a wonderful trip to Alaska. I have been in many different staterooms and categories, but never an aft suite. I understand people just love them.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Since you last cruised the Golden she underwent a major drydock in May 2009. The IC was added, the Crown Grill was added along with window suites and new regualr suites on the Sun deck. Lots of great changes. We sailed her on the first cruise after the drydock and loved it.

We lucked out and were upgraded to the new WS in 2009 on the Golden ;)

Hugh :cool:

Recently sailed for 2 weeks aboard the Golden. We did the SouthAmerican Itinerary around Cape Horn. The trip itself was awesome. The Golden was in great shape, I guess showing a little wear on the balconies due to saltair. We had a MiniSuite so the cabin was spacious with a large bathroom. The staff was attentive and happy. We ate in both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill and had great meals both times. We were a little disappointed in the size of the IC and Vines but that is probably due to it being added on. The ambience and views of the Skywalker Lounge is not to be missed. We used to go up every evening for snacks and drinks before dinner. I am sure you will love your cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

We're on the Golden right now en route to Papette in a mini suite. This is our second cruise on her and she looks great! Better than the Ruby in Jan which looked a little worn. Staff is wonderful. Food is the best weVe ever had on a Princess cruise. Karen

We sailed around south american in march on the golden.We were upgraded to a window suite on fiesta deck.The cabins are in a great location near the pursers desk,however,you can hear the stabilizers go on in bad weather.They are so noisy you will not be able to sleep.

long cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed on Golden February/March around Cape Horn.

I am not picky when it comes to the state of the ship. Coincidentally, almost every ship we sailed on was scheduled for drydock, but I never saw the need for it, they all looked ok for me (some rust in places don't bother me), but the Golden really is ready for a drydock.

I have never encountered so much rust on any ship. It even came crawling through the floor mat on our balcony! They tried to cope with it the best they could and on every day of our 14 days staff painters were circeling the Promenade Deck and the lifeboat area above it re-painting the railings, ceilings and so on. As much as I appreciated their effort, that meant, you strolled on the Promenade Deck either in paint smell, cigarette smoke or in the foul smell of kitchen sewage (the A/C outlets lead to the Promenade Deck). Furthermore, you had to watch out not to touch the freshly painted areas (sometimes quite difficult considering the rather narrow deck often crowed by bird watchers and their foto/binocular equipment, especially in rougher seas).

A further annoyance was the fact, that coffee mugs left by (moron) passengers on the outside decks were not cleared for days!

Inside the ship there were a lot of not functioning lighting fixtures and dented table lamps in the lounges.

The food was so-so. A lot of menu card poetry and nothing behind it. Example: the fancy "Avocado Fan" was really two thick chunks of avocado. Food presentation lacked in general: for example, soups were presented badly - not one spring onion ring or some other decorative green to be seen.

All that said: those impressions did not ruin our stay on the Golden (in fact we enjoyed it very much), but Princess could have done much better (and they can as we knew from the very well kept Coral last year).

Edited by JanBerlin