Has anyone been to Punta Sur recently?

prescea

My husband and I are going to be in Cozumel on the Carnival Dream in May. This will be our 4th visit to Cozumel, and most times we rent a jeep, sight-see, and then end up at Carlos n Charlies. We are thinking of renting a jeep again, and heading to Punta Sur to climb the lighthouse and snorkel. How far is the reef from shore? We are strong swimmers and snorkel quiet often. Any information about the park would be great! Thanks! :)

I haven't been there recently, but as I recall there some park staff that use a truck and will take you down to the beach. Food and drink are not allowed on the beach. There's a couple of kayaks manned by the park staff that'll assist you in going out if needed. There are some platforms in fairly shallow water, but you need to look for the white buoys that mark the sections of the reef. The reef is all part of the Palancar Reef and as I recall the area nearest the lighthouse is Punta Celarain (?) (5'-20' deep).

• 2 weeks later...

We were there just a few weeks ago, I'm not sure snorkeling is allowed there anymore... Maybe there was an area we didn't see that allowed it, but at the lighthouse, they had signs up that you could not enter the water there. We had asked about snorkeling there (we were on a private jeep tour) and were told they aren't allowing snorkeling there, but I'm not sure if that was that the jeep tour wasn't doing it or that Punta Sur wasn't allowing it. But there was definitely a sign at the beach area by the lighthouse saying no swimming.

Punta Sur is beautiful! I'm pretty sure you can't snorkel from shore though. I think you can snorkel if you get there by boat, but you can only wade into the water...no swimming...

Here's a couple pictures... and if you do go, make sure to say hi to Charlie at the restaurant below the lighthouse (he's a pizote) He's really cute...

Cozumel3-24-14370_zpsa522f9f2.jpg

Cozumel3-24-14382_zpsd6e1464e.jpg

Cozumel3-24-14323_zpsba88e7f6.jpg

IMG_4050_zps85c786ca.jpg

100_4879_zps81032eff.jpg

100_4880_zps2bcefa97.jpg

We were there just a few months ago. It is our favorite beach - we've been there many times. You can snorkel from shore. It is quite a distance. We always sit at the snack hut with the hammocks. They are really friendly and the food is excellent! They make everything fresh as you order it.

To snorkel - look for the platform and beyond the platform a white bouy. The bouy marks the reef. You can rest at the platform if you need to. We always start there and snorkel down the reef to the right(facing the ocean) and then swim to shore and walk back up the beach. There are lots of fish and some really large brain coral.

Sometimes there is a guy with a kayak or little boat who will take you out to the reef for a fee.