Went yo Labadee, Haiti. No blood donation for one year

asylum575

Hello all,

Just got back from trying to donate blood at a drive.

I was unable to donate because of the Haiti stop. It has a high frequency of Malaria.

I gave the tech the list of stops we made on our cruise and of the four stops, she only noted Bermuda and Haiti. She said Haiti knocks you out of eligibility.

BTW,

Dominican Republic, which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti is also on the list. But only the towns of Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, interesting.

Hello all,

Just got back from trying to donate blood at a drive.

I was unable to donate because of the Haiti stop. It has a high frequency of Malaria.

I gave the tech the list of stops we made on our cruise and of the four stops, she only noted Bermuda and Haiti. She said Haiti knocks you out of eligibility.

BTW,

Dominican Republic, which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti is also on the list. But only the towns of Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, interesting.

Yes, this is true for donating in Canada as well. I cannot donate for a year either because I was in Labadee in February.

I heard Honduras will also make you ineligible and I will be there in September. Anyone know if this is true?

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Yes, this is true for donating in Canada as well. I cannot donate for a year either because I was in Labadee in February.

I heard Honduras will also make you ineligible and I will be there in September. Anyone know if this is true?

The CDC website has a list of all the countries where malaria is present. If it says yes, then you cannot donate.

Cozumel got put on the Bad list a couple of years ago and Red Cross didnt allow me to donate for a year

I was in Cozumel in February 2013 and could still donate here in Canada after that. Other parts of Mexico were on the "bad" list though.

I guess it's an evolving list. I just call and ask before I go to make sure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It can be tough for a frequent cruiser to donate blood on a regular basis...

In November 2012, I actually had a 3 week period where I was elegible after being in Labadee in November of 2011 and prior to going again in December 2012. If I didn't keep a "blood donation calendar" with a list of the countries I'd visited and the dates, I'd have missed that small window.

For those interested, here's a link to the Red Cross website with elegibilty requirements:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements

And here's a link to the CDC Maleria map:

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/map/

Edited by elleluv

I just stopped telling them where I have been....

In my not so humble opinion this is fine. It's mostly about liability. The chances of transmitting malaria are very very low, and even if you did, it's treatable. When I used to donate I wouldn't admit to having gone to Costa Maya as this was a rule out.

It's a lot easier to make more blood than more money.

Then how about volunteering? Had a family member who died after a blood transfusion from tainted blood. He was very sick and couldn't be treated for this "treatable" disease he got. Why would you ever think to take that chance? Someone else bears the risk, not you.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Red Cross today to donate blood and expected to be denied as I was in Labadee last month. Guess what, I was allowed to donate! The nurse said at the beginning of April 2014, new guidelines from the CDC were released and now you must stay 24 hours, or overnight to be deferred for malaria exposure in Haiti. The changes were so new, she had another nurse verify that it was safe for me to donate.

As was stated by previous posters, the CDC releases guidelines periodically and things change.

Leslie

• 2 weeks later...

The Caribbean routinely has this problem. I use to organize blood drives for the Red Cross and even I couldn't give blood. It varies if there is a certain level of malaria. Next week I will be able to give blood after having been at Roatan, Honduras last year as a port stop. In the past it has been Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan. It is for one year from the date you left the port of call that you are to refrain from giving blood.

• 1 month later...

Way back when it was a 10 year ban if you'd been to Haiti!! Glad to know they aren't as strict. I can't donate any more due to some health issues, but it broke my heart when I couldn't donate simply because of where I went for a vacation.

Thanks so much to whomever posted the link as to where you can/can't visit and donate. That helps a lot of people!

Does anyone know how this is handled if you don't get off the ship? Does it still count as visiting the area?

In Canada, we were told that if we don't get off the ship, it doesn't count and we can still give blood.

Best advice, call your blood donation organization...they'll give you your applicable answer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm banned for life - lived in Europe in the 80s thanks to USAF - they used to ship in the beef to the commissaries from UK.

I figure after 30yrs the Mad Cows would have come for me by now but they haven't yet! My children might disagree. ;-)

Always ;-)

Hunzi

gave a gallon before moving to Germany

Edited by Hunzi

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what?

I was allowed to give blood after visiting Labadee this March. I just tried to donate again and was deferred for a year! Turns out the guidelines for visiting ports in MEXICO had changed but not Haiti. So my last donation was in error, now the Red Cross has to trace who received my donation for malaria risk. The nurse that approved my donation also faces discipline.

The issue with malaria is that you could have been infected with a mild case, think you just had a cold or flu and still be contagious. Do you know the symptoms of malaria? I sure don't. That's why they are so strict about deferring donations after visiting areas where malaria is endemic.

This is a quote from the CDC: "During 1963-2011, 97 cases of transfusion-transmitted malaria were reported in the United States; approximately two thirds of these cases could have been prevented if the implicated donors had been deferred according to established guidelines."

Malaria risk is a big deal! Don't lie about where you have been!

Leslie