Passports for kids when driving to the Yukon

crusin4fun2000

I have been looking into renting a car in Skagway, and driving up to the Yukon. I've read where you need a passport, because you cross into Canada. I have a passport but my kids do not, will they let them through, or should I plan a different tour?

Children 15 and under can enter the United States from Canada with a Birth Certificate if you are traveling by land or sea:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk1MjgxMDk0L3NpZC9XR3pPZEdQbA%3D%3D/~/children--travel-documents-for-infants

The regulations for an American entering Canada is a bit more lax:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

I have not taken my children across the border between Alaska and the Yukon with birth certificates, but I have taken my children between Sault Ste Marie, Michigan and Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. My wife and I had passports as required and we had original, raised seal, government issued birth certificates for the children. We had no issues going into Canada. Coming back into the States, we had no issue either, but the Customs Agent asked to see the children (I opened the van door so the guy didn't have to leave the booth), which I presume was to make sure they appeared roughly the ages on their Birth Certificates.

My only concern is that you used the work "I" in your question. If only 1 parent is taking the kids across the border, I would research that a little bit. Some countries are picky about potential parental kidnappings. If only 1 parent is going, I'd probably get a notarized letter from the other parent stating they are aware of the vacation and they give their permission to take the kids into Canada, just in case.

Currently an American citizen does not require a passport to enter Canada but our Customs agents do require to see a passport or other approved travel documents to ensure that you can return to the US. A person really needs to look at what is required by way of a BC...such as original with raised seal, etc. You may want to consider a passport card.

Children 15 and under can enter the United States from Canada with a Birth Certificate if you are traveling by land or sea:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk1MjgxMDk0L3NpZC9XR3pPZEdQbA%3D%3D/~/children--travel-documents-for-infants

I apologize. I see that my link to Customs and Border Patrol was faulty. I must have grabbed the incorrect link. Sorry about that.

Try this link instead for Requirements for Children to enter the US via land/sea:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74

For what it's worth, aboard the train going up to Bennett Lake/Carcross, the Canadian border staff checked every passport. I had a relatively new passport, and the agent said to me "you need to sign your passport"...so yes, they're checking.

Thanks, this helps a lot, We are going to be traveling as a family, my husband and I with our 4 kids.

The regulations for an American entering Canada is a bit more lax:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

I have not taken my children across the border between Alaska and the Yukon with birth certificates, but I have taken my children between Sault Ste Marie, Michigan and Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. My wife and I had passports as required and we had original, raised seal, government issued birth certificates for the children. We had no issues going into Canada. Coming back into the States, we had no issue either, but the Customs Agent asked to see the children (I opened the van door so the guy didn't have to leave the booth), which I presume was to make sure they appeared roughly the ages on their Birth Certificates.

My only concern is that you used the work "I" in your question. If only 1 parent is taking the kids across the border, I would research that a little bit. Some countries are picky about potential parental kidnappings. If only 1 parent is going, I'd probably get a notarized letter from the other parent stating they are aware of the vacation and they give their permission to take the kids into Canada, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

We are heading out on the Pearl in June and plan to do the Yukon trip. We will be traveling with three children, 10,4 and 1, and we got passport cards for them - cheap, easy to carry, and not as fragile as a paper birth certificate to carry around.

We are heading out on the Pearl in June and plan to do the Yukon trip. We will be traveling with three children, 10,4 and 1, and we got passport cards for them - cheap, easy to carry, and not as fragile as a paper birth certificate to carry around.

The minor passport cards are $40. A minor passport book is $105.