Tipping question

Fayclem

Was wondering how everyone tips their butler. Is it better to tip at the end of the cruise or daily as soon as he provides a service to you. Thought of doing it at the end but then I feel as though he may think he is not going to get anything.

Was wondering how everyone tips their butler. Is it better to tip at the end of the cruise or daily as soon as he provides a service to you. Thought of doing it at the end but then I feel as though he may think he is not going to get anything.

It's really a personal preference thing. I am sure they are used to it happening both ways. I might choose to divide my total tip by the number of days (plus 1) then give that amount every day, doubling the tip the last day (which is where the plus one comes in). That way he knows form day one what to expect and you making his day a little brighter may just help when you have that special request.

No good answer. Tipping at the end does seem counter productive. Even illogical. But, that is the norm.

This was asked earlier today in the middle of another thread. And, because your title only said tipping without mention of BUTLER, you will get limited replies.

for more detailed and even more confusing answers, do a search on "BUTLER" or "BUTLER TIP" and get ready.

I tip at the end. And in cash with a handshake and hug. Might do the voucher in the future. I also never adjust the DSC but give an additional cash tip to our excellent steward. I leave $5 under my plate at Il Adagio/Cagney's. first cruise I tried to hunt down servers/Maitre D but it was difficult.

We tip the butler at the end of the cruise, basing this upon how much we use their services.

While on a cruise, I do not feel like carrying money with me, to tip everyone whos assists me during a cruise. I would rather relax, and tip those at the end.

One can also leave a gratuity at the Pursers desk for individuals, if you do not see them at the end of the cruise.

Again, whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Just my opinion of course but I give the butler a $20 on the first morning he serves us breakfast on the balcony.

Following that just $5 here and $10 there - at the end of the cruise if he was really good then an appropriate goodbye gift. I aim for about $100 total or an average of $15 per day for a 7 day cruise.

If you think that's a lot remember that the cheapest butler suite is probably going to run a couple at least $4k, and a good butler can turn a good cruise into a great cruise.

Like I said, just my own system :)

PS - the service you get is amazing.