Platinum Question - regarding the behind the scenes tour

LOVEMYMO

Will be sailing soon and we are platinum. First time being given the behind the scene tour. One of us is not as interested in doing it as the other one and are wondering if we could have someone that will be sailing with us replace the platinum person to join in on the tour?

How strict are they with regards to this does anyone know??

Will be sailing soon and we are platinum. First time being given the behind the scene tour. One of us is not as interested in doing it as the other one and are wondering if we could have someone that will be sailing with us replace the platinum person to join in on the tour?

How strict are they with regards to this does anyone know??

Last time the Hotel Manager checked me in asking my name. I'm not sure he would know who I was by sight, so it might work. Other times the concierge has checked me in and s/he would know. All you can do is ask.

On our last cruise, the Cruise Director gave the ship tour, on the 2nd day of the cruise. (After the tour, she attended the M&G).

DW had been on these before, so another acquaintance joined me, (naughty I know), but it worked out fine. ;)

We are sailing next week as platinum members (finally....yeah!!!). This is the first I have heard about a behind the scenes tour. Will we be notified about the time and meeting place once onboard or do I have to make an inquiry?

When you get to your cabin, you will have letters/confirmations of the perks for platinum, including the tour. :p

You will receive your ticket in your room. It is for one person. However, I have taken my daughter 4 times at no charge. If I remember right it is $75 per person if you are not platinum. You never have done it is a good tour been on the bridge of all the ships but Spirit that I have been on.

We were on the Breakaway in November. My husband was playing in the poker tournament when they were doing the tour. I asked if it was possible to bring my daughter who is technically a platinum member herself (we always travel with our kids). But she's not 18. They said it was not transferable. The latitudes staff conducted the tour. So, I went alone. And really enjoyed it!

The tour is a bit abbreviated (at least on the Breakaway). No bridge viewing. But it does take about 90 minutes. You have to wear proper shoes or you are not permitted to attend. The tour consists mainly of the kitchens and laundry area. It's impressive! And the chefs do give you some treats in the kitchen. I would highly recommend this platinum benefit.

We are sailing next week as platinum members (finally....yeah!!!). This is the first I have heard about a behind the scenes tour. Will we be notified about the time and meeting place once onboard or do I have to make an inquiry?

You will find the following invitation included in your Platinum welcome packet that will be in your cabin on embarkation day.

PlatinumBehindtheScenesTour1.jpg

PlatinumBehindtheScenesTour2.jpg

You will find the following invitation included in your Platinum welcome packet that will be in your cabin on embarkation day.

PlatinumBehindtheScenesTour1.jpg

PlatinumBehindtheScenesTour2.jpg

What these pics show, is the short Platinum tour (about an hour or so), not the proper 2.5 hour tour that one gets with paying $55 pp. So while the tours have the same name, they are very different from each other.

Originally Platinums got the proper tour that has a crew member from each separate department telling about their operations, now on most ships they have made cutbacks and give Platinums that "light" version and sometimes it's just the Cruise Consultant talking, no real inside info from people actually working there - on one occasion our Cruise Consultant wasn't very knowledgeable, knew only what the handout said (and even some of those facts he managed to get wrong) and gave some completely false answers to questions by other passengers.

The last Vessel I did behind the scenes tour on was the GEM in Feb. 2013. It was about 90 mins. They gave a brief summary of the ship. The tour included 2 person crew cabin, the main hallway which they called HWY 95, Gallery tour, they took us in the refrigerator and freezer, behind the stage, recycle/garbage room, Laundry room and ended on the bridge standing on the glass floor looking down at the ocean.

When we was on the SPIRIT I would of love to see the engine room. However they say they don't do that any more because of security reasons. Far as know all the ships are that way post 9/11

What these pics show, is the short Platinum tour (about an hour or so), not the proper 2.5 hour tour that one gets with paying $55 pp. So while the tours have the same name, they are very different from each other.

Originally Platinums got the proper tour that has a crew member from each separate department telling about their operations, now on most ships they have made cutbacks and give Platinums that "light" version and sometimes it's just the Cruise Consultant talking, no real inside info from people actually working there - on one occasion our Cruise Consultant wasn't very knowledgeable, knew only what the handout said (and even some of those facts he managed to get wrong) and gave some completely false answers to questions by other passengers.

Good information. Since I am primarily interested in the galley and kitchen, I will inquire regarding what's covered before I invest the time. If we are not spending time in those areas I won't go.

there would be no issue if 2 people were platinum members and 1 wanted to substitute another non platinum member--I did it--no one asked

just couldn't take 3 people if only 2 qualified--

but even in that case just show up-our tour had less than 10 people

We have done the tour twice. On the Star it included the galley, the provisions area, the environmental area, the laundry,and the bridge after a break for lunch. We also talked with an entertainment staff member. Just got back from the Sun and it only included the galley, the laundery, and behind the stage.

On our next time I will try to give our spot up to our friends.

Ron

My husband and I are both Platinum and he did not feel like going on the tour, so my son-in-law went with me. Two people were offered the tour -- two people took the tour. I even brought my letter of invitation with me. The cruise consultant did the tour. On the Jewel, that was Romeo -- and it was a good tour for what it was.

Make sure you have closed-toe shoes. I didn't and they weren't going to let me go. I had to go to the gift shop and buy a pair of Crocs. They moved us into the second group that left 30 minutes later.

What ever you think you can get away with. That seems to be the MO of todays society. :rolleyes:

Now was your reply really necessary...with an attitudue to boot. I would have to say...I DON'T THINK SO! :eek:

But then again we can always "Leave it to Beaver" LOL!!!

Edited by LOVEMYMO