Getaway Review

e2011

We just got off the Getaway today after a 7 day (March 15th to 22nd) cruise to St. Thomas & St. Martin. We had a Haven suite, #12106. Forward facing penthouse suite.

The Ship: Absolutely beautiful! Loved the decor and vast choice of dining. Shopping is mostly dedicated to jewelry and watches. Not as much shopping choices on board as some other ships. The layout was interesting. Only two elevator banks. One forward and one aft. On day 1 we thought this was going to be a huge problem but it wasn't! After everyone settled in we never had and problems getting a lift. There really isn't much open space in the middle of the ship but I grew to like the fact they used all the real estate for things to do as opposed to open areas. The hallways on the upper levels are narrow. Kind of strange and when two groups meet, one must duck in a doorway or hug the wall. Pools and activity areas were awesome. Great water slides, fantastic rope course, Pirate mini golf, etc. Our 6 year old had a blast! The Haven pool is a bit odd. It is very small. There are 3 sections to the pool but only one is an actual 4' deep pool. The other two sections are just 4 inches of water with lounge chairs in the water. I think they should have made two sections for pool and only one for lounge. The spa is beautiful as is the huge exercise room.

The Cabin: Very small balcony but the cabin was large with a separate bedroom and huge bathroom. Excellent decor. Being on deck 12 as a Haven guest was strange but it worked. Obviously deck 15 & 16 Haven rooms are best.

The Shows: We only went to two. Legally Blonde was cute but nothing fantastic. however I didn't care for the show on land. The Imaginarium show was fantastic. It was funny and exciting and the magicians were very entertaining. The food was also good.

The Food: OMG!!!!! This was the BEST cruise ship food we have had. Everything from the buffet items to the specialty restaurants was excellent. Everything had flavor and there was such a large variety it was overwhelming! The Filet I had at Cagney's was one of the best cuts of meat I have ever had.. land or sea. You could cut it with a fork and it was obviously USDA Prime and had been aged for 25 days by Cagney's. Ironically the only specialty restaurant we did not LOVE was Ocean Blue. It has some strange menu parings such as the seared scallops and pork bellies that I had. The food was good, just not my style. I am not a big "fusion cooking" person.

The Staff: Excellent. Everyone we encountered was very helpful and friendly. Some of the best staff we have had the pleasure of sailing with in all our years of cruising. A+++

The Ports: We have been to these two ports so many times I will just say they are always beautiful and expensive. To new cruisers I will just warn you that the watch you have your eye on in the "duty free/ tax free Caribbean" is 40% to 60% cheaper on Amazon.com with a USA return policy!! LOL… Be careful.

Overall Rating: A+. I highly recommend this ship to all age groups and families. One of our best cruises yet.

Edited by e2011

Glad you had a good time. Was the Haven pool area crowded on Sea days? Were you able to get chairs?

It wasn't bad. Never had a problem getting chairs on sea days but we are early risers and we were at the pool by 9am and done with the pool by noon so I cannot comment on what happened in the late afternoon.

It wasn't bad. Never had a problem getting chairs on sea days but we are early risers and we were at the pool by 9am and done with the pool by noon so I cannot comment on what happened in the late afternoon.

Was it noisy? What I really mean by that - were there a bunch of little kids screaming and running around?

Was it noisy? What I really mean by that - were there a bunch of little kids screaming and running around?

No there were not many little kids in the Haven. I think it is just too boring for them. But the rest of the ship was crazy! Spring Break. We don't utilize the kids club but I overheard another parent say there were 1,100 children under 18 on the ship!

....did you still go there to utilize it? How about the Haven Sundeck? Was it crowded/noisy?

And thanks for the review.

wasiii

Not bad when we were there in the mornings.

Thank you for posting so soon. I don't know when you had time. I would be so tired. I'm sharing you review with other family members who are traveling with me. We will be on the Getaway next month. Getting very excited now.

Thank you for posting so soon. I don't know when you had time. I would be so tired. I'm sharing you review with other family members who are traveling with me. We will be on the Getaway next month. Getting very excited now.

Enjoy! We did!

How ironic. I am booked in the exact same cabin in just about a year. Why was it strange to be on deck 12 getting to the Haven? Was it a long wait for the elevator or something? How do you rate the cabin? How was the Haven experience with butler and concierge?

THANKS

Any pictures?

What happened to your stop in Nassau? We leave Saturday and we can't wait until we are finally on vacation. Thanks for your review.

We did stop in Nassau. We have been so many times we did not even get off the ship. Took advantage of the ropes course & water slides while most of the guests were gone.

We are sailing January 2015 in the Afte Pentnouse 12904. I know this question has been asked, but did you just walk forward on the 12th floor to elevators to get to Haven? Really wanted the large cabin with large balcony so we will have to hoof it each day. Once there we are there so no big deal! :D

How ironic. I am booked in the exact same cabin in just about a year. Why was it strange to be on deck 12 getting to the Haven? Was it a long wait for the elevator or something? How do you rate the cabin? How was the Haven experience with butler and concierge?

THANKS

Any pictures?

We also have this exact cabin for our Getaway in Nov, so we're VERY interested in what the OP has to say about the cabin.

We also have this exact cabin for our Getaway in Nov' date=' so we're VERY interested in what the OP has to say about the cabin.[/quote']

Very cool

Make sure to take lots of photos :) I will look for your review!

Oh BTW... found this new video of the cabin just one deck below

Edited by david_sobe

We had dinner with our friend and TA last night who was on the same cruise and he and his wife said the Getaway was their favorite new cruise ship. We have never been on a Norwegian Cruise ship and based on what he told us about the ship we plan to book her for October. They did a dining package that cost $119 and allows you to try the specialty dining offered on the ship. They also really liked the magic show and said it should not be missed.

Shari & John

....did you still go there to utilize it? How about the Haven Sundeck? Was it crowded/noisy?

And thanks for the review.

wasiii

Was in a Haven 2-bedroom family suite first suite of March. It was right under the private sun deck. Was worried about noise. Barely heard a thing. On our sailing, the sun deck and courtyard were never crowded. And I was told Haven was full.

Filmed Haven public areas and cabin. Link below.

Was in a Haven 2-bedroom family suite first suite of March. It was right under the private sun deck. Was worried about noise. Barely heard a thing. On our sailing, the sun deck and courtyard were never crowded. And I was told Haven was full.

Filmed Haven public areas and cabin. Link below.

Wow

Fantastic video!!!

Thanks for sharing!