DIY Alaska Hotels and When to Book

2stonesthrow

We are leaning towards DIY Alaska with Extended Family. RV rental plus hotels. How early do you need to book hotels for June travel for next year in the Denali area? Seeing everything is completely booked for this summer already. Please advise.

I can't remember when I booked our stay at the Denali Bluffs hotel. I want to say it was in January 2013 for our June 2013 stay. I don't think reservations were open before then. For our stay at the Homestead Guest Cabins in Glacier View, I booked that in January 2013 for our June 2013 stay. I was able to make reservations in January 2013 for our stay at the Seward Holiday Inn Express.

Keep trying. When I worked for a hotel chain (24 years ago), you couldn't make reservations more than 11 months in advance based upon your check-out date. For instance if you tried to make reservations today for a stay that had you checking out February 28,2015, you wouldn't be able to because that date wouldn't be available yet. That was the "rule" I used when I started making my reservations and I didn't have any problems.

Thanks!! I spent several hours online and couldn't find much at all for this summer with the major booking sites. Thinking I will have better luck calling when we decide to book. January sounds like a plan! thanks!

It really depends on where you are going and what kind of hotels you like. My family prefers known chains, and in some places those are scarce. I think I booked my June 2014 hotels in October 2013. I know the Holiday Inn in Seward filled up WAY early!!

After having done a couple of DIY tours in Alaska, don't forget about the car rentals. Even though you are doing some RV time, if you have to rent a car especially a mini-van, start checking in October for June, 2015. I did that for our 2012 trip and got a great rate for a week in a mini-van. Most people were wanting over $1,200.00 and I got it for a special for $470.00 for our week. You need a mini-van for even just 4 people to sit in the 4 bucket seats and lay down the 3rd row to put all of the luggage. It worked out great for us. I have done that 3 times now.

I found the Holiday Inn express in Seward beyond our means at the time so tried looking at B&B's in Seward. They were comfy, and much more affordable. There are a lot to choose from. Just in case you hadn't thought of that idea. I know you like big chains and that Holiday Inn is nice (we stayed there when it first opened in 2005 and was cheaper), but had gotten more expensive by 2012. Its location is also wonderful. But some of the B & B's also have good location. They are a total different experience that you have to be willing to try out in your adventure. Everyone is different in how they handle it. Some make you big breakfasts, others just leave things for you go help yourself. Actually the help yourself ones are the ones that we ended up liking the best. Although the big cooked breakfasts were always yummy, it took a long time and was an experience in themself.

When you are driving to Seward a place comes up on your left called Summit Lake. Be sure and stop there either for a good meal or just an ice cream. Walk the short path to the lake, it is just gorgeous.

423.jpg

427.jpg

428.jpg

436.jpg

Hope you return your rental car back to Anchorage and take the early morning (6:45am) train back to Seward. Awesome views that are not the same as from the highway.

Oh, I want to go back...............Loved it! The beauty is outstanding breathtakingly beautiful.

Edited by poolwife
correct spelling