Best Time For Port of Galveston Arrival

cjdixon4

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me why that's a good time for the month of MAY particularly? Just curious...

We are going 4/27/14 and plan to get to the port about 10 or 10:30. That is what we did last year on the Princess ship we sailed on. Worked out great!

It depends on how long it takes the current passengers to disembark. I've boarded as early as 11am, and other times I've waited until after 2pm. I suggest you take something to eat like cereal bars, since there is nothing to eat at the terminal. But 11am is about right. Also, check if the ship has come in. Fog sometimes delays the ship, although that should not be a problem in May (we hope -- I'm on the May 18 Navigator with you). Tip: If the buffet is crowded, try Cafe Promenade on deck 5 instead.

Edited by Jimnbigd

It depends on how long it takes the current passengers to disembark. I've boarded as early as 11am, and other times I've waited until after 2pm. I suggest you take something to eat like cereal bars, since there is nothing to eat at the terminal. But 11am is about right. Also, check if the ship has come in. Fog sometimes delays the ship, although that should not be a problem in May (we hope -- I'm on the May 18 Navigator with you). Tip: If the buffet is crowded, try Cafe Promenade on deck 5 instead.

Thanks Jimnbigd-

Although the pre-cruise hotel that we're staying at provides breakfast in the morning (Baymont Inn/Suites Galveston), your suggestion about the snacks is indeed a good idea. I've not eaten at the Cafe Promenade before, and I MIGHT try it out. I say "might" because I'm a bit of a creature of habit, and if they're serving my fave Honey Stung Chicken in Windjammer...I've gotta have some. I know, I know, there's a lot of pros vs cons threads on the chicken topic! But at some point on our cruise, I absolutely will try the Cafe. Heard lots of great things about it! What particularly do you like there? (Sorry to hijack my own thread, but I want to know...LOL).

...I absolutely will try the Cafe. Heard lots of great things about it! What particularly do you like there?

The ham-and-cheese croissant is always good, and is usually available all the time except breakfast. Sometimes I get two and combine into one bigger sandwich. Pizza is hit-or-miss -- sometimes good, sometimes dry. Egg salad croissant is good, but available only a day or two (days might vary, so the staff there when). My favorite is the desserts. I think CP has better desserts than either the MDR or buffet. My last cruise I skipped MDR dessert and got a CP dessert later in the night. Try their chocolate mouse. Also for me coffee in CP is better than the other places (except for the diamond lounge cappuccino machine which is really good). Try mixing the coffee with a packet of the dark hot chocolate for a free mocha. And try their Danish for breakfast. CP is a good place to grab a continental breakfast before a shore excursion, especially if you are running late.

Edited by Jimnbigd

The ham-and-cheese croissant is always good, and is usually available all the time except breakfast. Sometimes I get two and combine into one bigger sandwich. Pizza is hit-or-miss -- sometimes good, sometimes dry. Egg salad croissant is good, but available only a day or two (days might vary, so the staff there when). My favorite is the desserts. I think CP has better desserts than either the MDR or buffet. My last cruise I skipped MDR dessert and got a CP dessert later in the night. Try their chocolate mouse. Also for me coffee in CP is better than the other places (except for the diamond lounge cappuccino machine which is really good). Try mixing the coffee with a packet of the dark hot chocolate for a free mocha. And try their Danish for breakfast. CP is a good place to grab a continental breakfast before a shore excursion, especially if you are running late.

Thanks much for responding, and it ALL sounds delish. You must be really excited about the 5/18 sailing and comparing the refurb to the last time that you sailed! Only 46 days!!!

Thanks much for responding, and it ALL sounds delish. You must be really excited about the 5/18 sailing and comparing the refurb to the last time that you sailed! Only 46 days!!!

Part of the refurb, yes, I think I'll enjoy, especially the Diamond Lounge. But I'll miss the card room (Seven Hearts) and Cloud Nine on deck 14 -- these were nice quiet areas to sit and watch the ocean, plus were used as overflow rooms for the nightly Diamond cocktail party on the Mariner (and presumably would have been used for this on the Navigator if these rooms still existed). So the Navigator added more cabins, so more passengers, and took away some public areas. Still, from what have read, it is not too crowded -- not like the Carnival ships I've taken. Also on my Voyager and Mariner cruises, there was a classical duo or trio, but not on my December Navigator. I really missed listening to a classical music group. I wonder if our May 18 cruise will have one.

Edited by Jimnbigd