Walking on Sunshine: Spring Break Review

Havinsnest

Sunday, March 16

and all too soon we were back in NOLA

Waiting to leave the ship.

20140315_224152715_iOS.jpg

20140316_124155137_iOS.jpg

One last look at the Mississippi as we head home to Texas.

20140316_155453024_iOS.jpg

Edited by Havinsnest

Thanks for the review. I'm sorry the Shore Excursion and Guest Services desks didn't understand the "give the monkey a banana" theme. :D

I don't know...since I'm the one usually giving people things and doing for others I really wasn't expecting anyone to "give" me anything. On the other hand, I don't like being taken advantage of nor do I want to take advantage of others. Which is why I kept trying to make them understand we had hundreds of internet minutes for which we didn't pay.

Side Note: Has anyone used the Carnival Gift Cards? I bought cards for my daughters and The Boy as gifts. One of them made it to the account perfectly the others took anywhere from 2-6 attempts to get to the account. I can't figure out if this is a gift card issues, a computer problem, or user error. I am going to try them again for our Christmas Cruise so I guess I'll know more in December.

Final Day Morning:

Embarkation was a dream. Debarkation, not so much. We were to be in the Forward MDR by 8:15 so at 8 we made our way out of breakfast in the aft dining room and headed forward. Katie doesn't use elevators and I don't use stairs going up so we split the girls heading to the stairs and The Boy and I to the elevator. They made it to the meeting place. We did not.

You know how there's always someone who thinks they are more important than everyone else? People began crowding in the Lobby although no one, other than Self-Assist, had been called yet. They ended up turning off the elevators and trying to turn people around who were on the stairs. Poor Butch. He was making announcements and you could see he was frustrated. I've never seen such a mess.

While waiting to be able to get down the last flight of stairs once the elevators were off, I listened to one guy who kept saying, "They told us we could get off at 7 am and here we stand at 8 o'clock." After about the 15th time I heard his tirade I turned and looked at him and replied, "Sir, I don't know who "they" is but this ship isn't technically due in to port until 8 am. NO ONE ever said you could get off the ship BEFORE IT WAS DUE TO DOCK." His wife turned to him and said, "I told you they didn't say 7." He didn't say anything else. It took about 30 minutes to get people out of the way and order restored. Colton and I made it to the meeting spot at exactly 8:15 and we were off the ship by 9.

Since we had to drive home we didn't wait on the hotel shuttle, instead taking a taxi back to the Holiday Inn to let them know we weren't going to be on the shuttle and to pick up the car. Led-foot Katie drove most of the way home with Kristie navigating. We made a couple of potty and gas breaks but mostly we just headed home.

Colton and I sat in the back and read, worked on his journal, and played games. He napped a couple hours so I worked on my journal.

We started his travel journal last year on a 17 day, 10 state, 10 family member road trip vacation and we continued it on this cruise. Each night he and I would talk about what we/he had done that day and I would write down his thoughts and comments. If he was asleep at dinner and didn't wake back up when we got him back to the room he and I would do the journal the next day. I am a journal person. I think we are losing our written history and I hate to see that happen so I'm a big advocate of journaling in some form. I've always had a diary or journal and now I have an 11 year old blog. I also write on paper wall calendars. I have every one since I was 12 and in the 7th grade. The journal technique of writing and reading worked with Colton's mom, aunt and uncle when they were small although they stopped as teens. A couple of them journal again in an informal way, calendars and written word in Facebook notes. We'll see if the 15 year old Colton is still journaling in 10 years.

We were back in Arlington having dinner at a favorite restaurant with the men in the family at 6:15. Not a bad day's drive.

We loved Sunshine. Yes, there are some common area problems with congestion especially on sea days and definitely on sea days at lunch. Some of the dining venues don't open until 12 noon so early eaters have very limited options.

We love our balcony and we love room service so neither of the common area congestion things was a problem for us.

Since she's leaving NOLA in a few days we probably won't be sailing her again. In general, we only sail from ports we can easily drive too. But, never say never, we all agree we would sail her again if the occasion arose. For those who say they will never sail her, I say you are missing out. Great ship even with the blips.

When I started writing this story we had one future cruise booked. Alaska on NCL's Star (chosen of the one way route) in late June. We'll spend the first week in July with our best friends who live just north of Anchorage.

As of yesterday we have a second future cruise booked. Our son and his lovely bride to be are getting married on Dream, at Christmas. So back to NOLA we go. Our future daughter was born and raised there, leaving with dad and sister after Katrina to attend the University of Texas and become a Texan by choice. Much of her family still leaves in New Orleans and Metairie so even those who can't cruise (an elderly grandmother for instance) will be able to attend the wedding and see the ship.

Seems we have a Third Generation Cruise Addict on our hands. Colton is very excited that Uncle Chris and Aunt Sarah are "taking him" on another cruise and that it's going to be at Christmas. He's already checked with Santa to make certain Santa understands we'll be sailing and that only stocking gifts will be allowed on board. He's been assured Santa will leave bigger things at under his tree at home. ;)

We realized last night...when he had a bedtime meltdown...that Colton's dream light got left somewhere. He's had all the new friends and hadn't noticed it. I've called the hotel and they don't have it and looking at the photos I don't think Captain made it on-board Sunshine. I'm headed to Target at lunch to replace it. Boy needs his dream light.

ff_1192233_xl.jpg&w=180

For this boy, seen here on his first night home with his new friends from the cruise and his old friend Superman given to him by Uncle Chris on the occasion of Colton's 5th birthday and who did NOT get left somewhere in our travels,

20140318_011509607_iOS.jpg

20140307_124251000_iOS.jpg

Hope you enjoyed our story/review. I'm sure I left out things others would like to hear about. If you ask and I know the answer I'll be happy to help you.

God Bless and Enjoy the Sunshine!

Edited by Havinsnest

Post Script.

The hotel found Captain after my call. He's already been delivered to FedEx for his trip home from New Orleans.

Colton has decided he will wait for 'his' Captain to arrive home...Mutti doesn't need to go buy another one.

I really like the Holiday Inn in Metairie and their finding him and calling to tell me to say they had him (first person didn't understand what I was looking for) just reinforces my opinion of them. Kudos to the housekeeping staff and their general manager for making a little boy a very happy person. :)

Very nice review. The Sunshine was a beautiful ship wasn't it....we were onboard December 8-15, 2013. We absolutely loved the Sunshine and it looks like you did too.

I love your pictures of the Dolphins. The were awesome. We have swam with stingrays, dolphins, and manatees.....what's left??? :)

Thanks Again for an awesome review

Very nice review. The Sunshine was a beautiful ship wasn't it....we were onboard December 8-15, 2013. We absolutely loved the Sunshine and it looks like you did too.

I love your pictures of the Dolphins. The were awesome. We have swam with stingrays, dolphins, and manatees.....what's left??? :)

Thanks Again for an awesome review

Thank you. And, yes, LOVED Sunshine.

I don't know what's sea animal is left to swim with but if you find one, let me know!

Edited by Havinsnest

I don't know what's sea animal is left to swim with but if you find one, let me know!

You can swim with sharks some where,.

Loved your review. We leave in 3 days for the sunshine we can not wait....

Kathy, what was the date of your cruise.

I just got off one (March 9-16th) and we "followed" the Sunshine it seemed

We were on the Conquest and the picture you showed of the ships at anchor at Belize looks like the one I have a picture of!

The ship in the middle is a Aida one I think.

Andy

Kathy, what was the date of your cruise.

I just got off one (March 9-16th) and we "followed" the Sunshine it seemed

We were on the Conquest and the picture you showed of the ships at anchor at Belize looks like the one I have a picture of!

The ship in the middle is a Aida one I think.

Andy

Same week!

March 9-16 was our Spring Break for most of Texas. Between the 4 of us, one is a college student in Arlington, one is a Pre-K student in a private school, one teaches in Austin and one works at a high school in Arlington. We all had the same Spring Break. Even the future daughter-in-law who didn't get to go had the same Spring Break in her school district in Pflugerville, Texas near Austin.

And, yes, that ship is an Aida. RCI and NCL were there that day, too, as I recall.

Conquest is our favorite ship. Loved her when she was in Galveston. Kristie took photos of her every time we saw her this cruise. :)

• 5 months later...

I happened by this review while doing a search for reviews of the Sharks and Rays Island Getaway excursion. They just started offering it through NCL, but there aren't any reviews yet, so I was glad to read yours- thanks so much. I had a couple of questions if you happen to notice this response:

1. how far was the swim to the reef from the boat where the sharks and rays are?

2. did you wear water shoes when swimming with the rays?

3. about the lunch.... It appears you were at Sobre Las Olas (NCL says that's where they are going too)... can you tell about what was offered? I have a picky eater son who would be looking for something plain like a chicken finger or basic taco, or something. I saw fries in your picture, so that will do in a pinch! Also, did you need cash for the food? How were the prices?

Thank you so much... your pictures were great!

• 8 months later...
I happened by this review while doing a search for reviews of the Sharks and Rays Island Getaway excursion. They just started offering it through NCL, but there aren't any reviews yet, so I was glad to read yours- thanks so much. I had a couple of questions if you happen to notice this response:

1. how far was the swim to the reef from the boat where the sharks and rays are?

2. did you wear water shoes when swimming with the rays?

3. about the lunch.... It appears you were at Sobre Las Olas (NCL says that's where they are going too)... can you tell about what was offered? I have a picky eater son who would be looking for something plain like a chicken finger or basic taco, or something. I saw fries in your picture, so that will do in a pinch! Also, did you need cash for the food? How were the prices?

Thank you so much... your pictures were great!

Just saw this today. :(

You may have already cruised by now but

1) boat anchors on the reef so the rays are right there and the sharks are as well.

2) we usually go barefoot in the water even with rays.

3) the grandson had chicken fingers and, I paid in cash. Prices were moderate. Not cheap but not expensive either.

Turtles in Bonaire! We loved swimming with the sea turtles in Bonaire in April while sailing on the Valor. So many turtles and the clearest water I have ever seen.

• 5 weeks later...