Port of Galveston closed

vols_159

"The Port of Galveston has been allowed limited traffic but only for cruise ships.
The Coast Guard said that there were 43 outbound and 38 inbound vessels stuck in the shipping channels waiting for vessel traffic to resume.
The Coast Guard is also looking to opening up Galveston-Bolivar Ferry traffic."

[url]http://www.galvestondailynews.com/free/article_49171786-b37d-11e3-bdb6-001a4bcf6878.html[/url]

Press conference coming up at the top of the hour.

[quote name='MrSnarkyPants']"The Port of Galveston has been allowed limited traffic but only for cruise ships.
The Coast Guard said that there were 43 outbound and 38 inbound vessels stuck in the shipping channels waiting for vessel traffic to resume.
The Coast Guard is also looking to opening up Galveston-Bolivar Ferry traffic."

[URL]http://www.galvestondailynews.com/free/article_49171786-b37d-11e3-bdb6-001a4bcf6878.html[/URL]

Press conference coming up at the top of the hour.[/quote]
Yep, had read that from the Galveston Daily News site - what doesn't seem clear is if they'll make the same exceptions for outbound cruise ships as they made for inbound. Inbound you have the issue of thousands of passengers due to disembark and with flights and land-based commitments, as well as likely dwindling food/drink provisions. Outbound is a different case.

Will be good to hear what's said at the press conference.

[quote name='idlenote']Normally outbound has the priority. Need the berths empty before you bring the inbound.[/quote]
Normally so; what helps Magic is Triumph can't disembark her guests until she's moved ... she's apparently just sitting waiting.

There are millions of dollars of oil waiting to enter - at some point you have to weigh that cost vs cruise ships, that's what I should've said. Edited by sppunk

I sympathize with the cruisers that have been impacted by this oil spill. Since this incident is no fault of Carnival one should not expect any offers from Carnival other than a credit if the cruise is shortened or ports have to missed due to late departure. I give kudos to Princess for their offer. I agree with purchasing travel insurance but you can be sure the insurance company will look at every exception and loophole to avoid paying on the policy. Hope everyone gets safely home and those boarding have a great cruise. :)

[quote name='txponycruiser']They're pulling in the ropes on the Magic and the Triumph is turning around. Moving out or just switching positions?[/quote]

[quote name='1313steve']The Magic is underway[/quote]
That was my thought too - truly underway as in leaving, or just switching places so Triumph can disembark passengers?

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']That was my thought too - truly underway as in leaving, or just switching places so Triumph can disembark passengers?[/quote]
Parents just said they didn't they haven't heard any word about actually leaving.

[quote name='sppunk']Parents just said they didn't they haven't heard any word about actually leaving.[/quote]
What I was afraid of - Magic might not be leaving at all, just being moved out of the way for Triumph to allow its passengers off.

From JH:

As a result of the oil spill, we are required to conduct some additional cleaning to the ship's hull before we depart. In order to do this, we will be moving to a different pier to allow the Carnival Triumph to use our terminal so they can commence with their disembarkation and embarkation process.

From Carnivals Facebook:
Update Carnival Triumph:

Due to a delay in transitioning the Carnival Triumph to Cruise Terminal 1, I’m sorry to say, we will now have to move back our embarkation times. Therefore, check-in for your cruise is now scheduled from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM.

For your comfort and convenience and since seating and parking is limited, we ask that you please not arrive prior to 5:30 PM in order to allow guests from the previous voyage to make their way out of the cruise terminal.

Once again, we're very sorry for this delay and thank you for your understanding.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

That's the official message and once again my thanks to all of you on board and waiting to board for your patience and I promise the crew on both ships are ready to give you the best of times.

This is a really smart move. Move Magic to the banana dock for hull cleaning. Allow Triumph to dock at Terminal 1 for disembark and embark. This is the least possible interruption to the thousands of travelers involved. If you look at the web cam of the Lido deck on the Magic, you will see that they are already partying. If life gives you lemons, search out the person that life has given vodka and go forth the best that you are able. Appears to be a brilliant movement of ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Navigator, Magic and Triumph are still in port in Galveston and Caribbean Princess is in port at Bayport as of 5:08 pm. Today is not looking good.

Earlier today this was posted on KHOU.com: [url]http://www.khou.com/news/local/Cruise-Ships-at-a-standstill-as-oil-spill-cleanup-continues-251914981.html[/url]. Definitely not good news to the four cruise ships stuck in port.

Sometimes vacations don't go well. The key is to take the lemons and make lemonade. One has to be resilient in this life as nothing is guaranteed.