Port of Galveston closed

vols_159

Unfortunately, since we are not docked at a passenger cruise terminal, we are not yet able to determine when guests can debark. We will update guests as soon as we have more information.

Ow.that has to be miserable for some people who might have to take unexpected days off of work/school/etc.

Not a good situation for everyone on vacation...but the cruise lines have all stepped up and offered a good compromise. Remember it's not their fault! My hope is the poor over worked crew get a break and can rest for a few days!!

The only downside to that is if they are not working they are not getting their tips. I think that if I were onboard and decided to disembark and take their offer that I would tell them to leave the tips on the account. I am sure they are going to come up short on their money for this week.

Yes, but they have outright cancelled their cruise. Last I saw (I might have missed it) Carnival is still waiting to see if they can cruise or not.

That is still true. Friends of mine are still on the ship waiting - it is a quiet ship this morning. A line of buses took whoever wanted to leave back to the terminal starting early this am.

That is still true. Friends of mine are still on the ship waiting - it is a quiet ship this morning. A line of buses took whoever wanted to leave back to the terminal starting early this am.

I have friends on the ship, too! I wonder if they have met your friends?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Magic has moved from it's pier and appears to be underway. Anyone know if this is a pier change or if it has been cleared to leave?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Edited by ITK79

The Magic has moved from it's pier and appears to be underway. Anyone know if this is a pier change or if it has been cleared to leave?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

According to friends on the Magic they are pulling away from the dock to clean around the ship. The Coast Guard flew over the channel and it is still closed. A lot of passengers debarked this morning. If they can leave by 11am they can still make it to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, but that isn't looking good. Lots of busses lined up on the dock right now.

According to friends on the Magic they are pulling away from the dock to clean around the ship. The Coast Guard flew over the channel and it is still closed. A lot of passengers debarked this morning. If they can leave by 11am they can still make it to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, but that isn't looking good. Lots of busses lined up on the dock right now.

Yes, JH just posted this

"

And here is the latest news from Galveston:

Currently the Port of Galveston remains closed to all ship traffic. Earlier this morning, the USCG dispatched helicopters over the affected area in the channel to evaluate whether it is safe to allow ship passage. We will keep guests updated on their findings as soon as we know more information. Additionally, we will complete the cleaning of the oil on the ship's hull that is required by local authorities.

Those guests who electe...d not to sail are currently disembarking.

Carnival Triumph

If all goes well, and receive approval to depart later today by 5:00 pm, we will proceed with our plans to visit Cozumel on Thursday. As a result of this change, you will receive a one day prorated refund within two weeks and a 25% future cruise discount.

Carnival Magic

If all goes well, and we receive approval to sail by 11:00AM, we will proceed to visit Grand Cayman with a 6 hour call. Alternatively, if we cannot sail by this time we will need to replace our call to Grand Cayman with a call to Progresso. Our visit to Cozumel will remain as scheduled. As a result of this change, you will receive a two day prorated refund within two weeks. If the itinerary changes further guests will also receive a 25% future cruise discount.

Please note the Carnival Magic will need to turn around to complete the cleaning. The crew are doing what they always do in making sure the guests despite all of this are having a great time.

more news soon."

Currently I am sitting on Lido of Magic enjoying breakfast. Although I wish we were out to sea that is not the case and it is NOT Carnivals fault. They have been very accommodating and more than generous so far. The ship is beautiful and the crew is amazing, we also have a grand view of the tractor and truck storage area on pier. Some chose to leave that is their prerogative we are staying as we would rather be here than at home. All of you who think you know what is going on don't have a clue and your time and energy would be better spent doing something besides speculating and arguing over something you have no experience in. Really do you people not have a life? Go live it and get off CC and let people decide for themselves if CCL is doing them right. I think they have been very accommodating. Now I'm headed to deck 5 to relax and read.

Currently I am sitting on Lido of Magic enjoying breakfast. Although I wish we were out to sea that is not the case and it is NOT Carnivals fault. They have been very accommodating and more than generous so far. The ship is beautiful and the crew is amazing, we also have a grand view of the tractor and truck storage area on pier. Some chose to leave that is their prerogative we are staying as we would rather be here than at home. All of you who think you know what is going on don't have a clue and your time and energy would be better spent doing something besides speculating and arguing over something you have no experience in. Really do you people not have a life? Go live it and get off CC and let people decide for themselves if CCL is doing them right. I think they have been very accommodating. Now I'm headed to deck 5 to relax and read.

Good for you! I really hope your cruise gets moving and you continue to enjoy your vacation. My heart goes out to all of the animals and wildlife effected by this spill. I sympathize and understand the angst that this can cause someone when they were so looking forward to their vacation, but the animals/wildlife are the ones that are truly suffering because of this.

Good for you, glad you are making the best of it. I hope you get to sail on down the Gulf soon! In the meantime, have a bucket of beers for me! ;)

I wonder if CCL will offer the same package as Princess and RCCL if cruise cancels

I would think they would want pax on there to at least make some revenue and tips for crew.

I would rather be sitting at a port on a ship than at work but this has to be tough on first time cruisers and kids