what would you do?

jennas_mum

First off let me say we had an amazing trip. Just got off the Dawn and cant wait to return.

We booked 2 rooms and pre-payed our gratuities. 4 days before our cruise we called to see about upgrading one of the rooms to a mini suite. We were told it would be $178.Xx per person. We decided to go for it. We found out after looking at our final bill that they had removed the gratuities and added them to the cost of the cruise. So the upgrade was really $252.Xx. We wouldn't of done it for that price. We have 4 people in that room so over $1000 total.

They said nothing could be done on board. We would have to contact someone after we got off the ship.

What would you do? I always have said I would never remove gratuities. But I also don't want to pay them twice.

Donna

First off let me say we had an amazing trip. Just got off the Dawn and cant wait to return.

We booked 2 rooms and pre-payed our gratuities. 4 days before our cruise we called to see about upgrading one of the rooms to a mini suite. We were told it would be $178.Xx per person. We decided to go for it. We found out after looking at our final bill that they had removed the gratuities and added them to the cost of the cruise. So the upgrade was really $252.Xx. We wouldn't of done it for that price. We have 4 people in that room so over $1000 total.

They said nothing could be done on board. We would have to contact someone after we got off the ship.

What would you do? I always have said I would never remove gratuities. But I also don't want to pay them twice.

Donna

I would write them a letter asking for a refund and cc it your credit card company. You were quoted $178 over the phone and charged $252.

In the letter I would also explain how companies that focus on quality service "Empower" and at the very least their management team to fix such problems. Obviously not the case when they tell you they can't do it on the ship.

I do like NCL and think they have a wonderful product. But this "We can't do anything on the ship" you need to talk to Miami is indicative of an organisation that has failed to delegate appropriate authority to customer service people to do "customer service". The concept of giving a hotel manager authority over several hundred employees and not delegating authority to resolve an over-billing problem does say a lot.

Donna

Actually, I'm confused. You looked at your final bill on the cruise or before you cruised?

When I had called to apply the kids sail free promo something happened with my reservation and the obc that I had purchased through ncl was no longer showing up, about a week later I noticed it was refunded back to my debit card. Have you checked you credit card you used to pay dsc? If it has not been refunded you could dispute claim with your credit card.....

Actually, I'm confused. You looked at your final bill on the cruise or before you cruised?

When I had called to apply the kids sail free promo something happened with my reservation and the obc that I had purchased through ncl was no longer showing up, about a week later I noticed it was refunded back to my debit card. Have you checked you credit card you used to pay dsc? If it has not been refunded you could dispute claim with your credit card.....

It was noted on our final bill. I didnt think about looking at my credit card statement. Will have to do that when I get home.

Thanks,

Donna

Edited by jennas_mum

I said it before and will say it again.

Paying anything in advance is just open for problems. (this is warning for others)

If somebody wants to give their money away before required, they should at least do the following:

make a copy of the bill/email and take it with you along with your original invoice

Check your bill on the 2nd day on the ship to see if they credited it right.

Edited by garycarla

I have done many upgrades or cabin changes.

Every single time they send me a new invoice showing the cost. Did the OP not get one?

Yes they did send us a new invoice. We looked it over but didnt even think about checking to make sure the gratuities were still included. Definitely lesson learned. We had a copy of our new invoice but now the old one. They said it still wouldn't of mattered if we did. there was nothing they could do on board.

thanks,

Donna

Edited by jennas_mum

Yes they did send us a new invoice. We looked it over but didnt even think about checking to make sure the gratuities were still included. Definitely lesson learned. We had a copy of our new invoice but now the old one. They said it still wouldn't of mattered if we did. there was nothing they could do on board.

thanks,

Donna

Yes, but did the new invoice show your price going up by $178 or $252 per person. If it went up $252, then you could/should have called back then.

Yes they did send us a new invoice. We looked it over but didnt even think about checking to make sure the gratuities were still included....

So, what if they had charged you $400 per person? I am confused.

Donna

Maybe it's too early in the morning or maybe I'm just clueless. But I'm really confused about this.

I don't get a cruise bill on my cruise, only an onboard account. OP what "final bill" are you speaking about. Your on board account? or you cruise bill?

If you are speaking about your onboard account did you check you actual cruise bill to see if they took your gratuities and moved them to the cruise portion of your bill? They are in 2 separate spots. Or if it is just they charged you gratuities in error on your onboard account, maybe the paperwork that it was paid never made it to the ship.

I can understand them not being able to do anything onboard since it sounds like whatever the error is, was done in head office.

I would call, if you don't get anywhere with the first person, speak to a supervisor. This sounds like it just could have been a simple error.

I have made 3 changes since booking and always get a new invoice/ statement. My prepaid gratuities do not show up there.

They show up on a separate set of amenities with things like the birthday decorations and the gift obc that we always have the dogs send our kids.

All that shows up on my new booking statements are my ncl obc, final payment due and payment made along with whatever change that I made.

I have to go to the amenities list to find my prepaid dsc

They never mail me this list unless I request it, the booking invoice, however, I get when I make a suite change.

Nora

Edited by DrNora

I was double charged for gratuities one time. They wouldn't help me on the ship, I called customer service the minute I got home. They looked at the charges and saw their error. Within 10 days my credit card was refunded.

I have made 3 changes since booking and always get a new invoice/ statement. My prepaid gratuities do not show up there.

They show up on a separate set of amenities with things like the birthday decorations and the gift obc that we always have the dogs send our kids.

All that shows up on my new booking statements are my ncl obc, final payment due and payment made along with whatever change that I made.

I have to go to the amenities list to find my prepaid dsc

They never mail me this list unless I request it, the booking invoice, however, I get when I make a suite change.

Nora

Thanks for the help. We are heading home today and will double check it when we get there.