Do they run extra buses when there are ships in port?

SnowshoeCat

This may seem like a silly question, but I just can't see how the buses and ferries can handle so many people arriving at once. The ferries don't look too big, and according to the online schedule, only run once an hour.

I'm just wondering if maybe they might have overflow buses standing by? How chaotic does it get at the Dockyard?

Edited by SnowshoeCat

They run what is called Express buses from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay, a South Shore beach. The express bus only stops a HSB, and the fare is the same as a regular bus. TTBOMK, that is the only express bus run.

These unscheduled buses are not shown on the schedule. The regular route #7 bus that does all the South Shore beaches departs about every 30 minutes on weekdays and weekends. On weekends, the bus does not start as early or run as late as weekdays.

There are always taxis available.

For ferries, I'm not aware of any additional ferries except for when there is Harbour Nights on Wednesdays, in season. Some ferries hold 500 or more passengers. For more info on Bermuda ferries, read here.

For buses and ferries get in the waiting line early.

SBtS

In addition to the express buses to Horseshoe Bay, I've often seen additional ferries run to Hamilton from Dockyard in the morning on peak days when two large ships arrive in port. They sometimes use a larger, older tender, the Bermudian for this purpose, sometimes one of the standard ferries.

Last year I didn't see them run additional ferry service to St. George's as currently there's only one leased ferry available for that run and that boat loading/unloading configuration is different than the standard ferries...but I suppose they could also use the Bermudian for that too.

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you for the replies. I'll be there in early April, before the St George's ferry service starts. My plan was to go there first and I'd like to get the ferry to Hamilton, then the bus to St. George's. I guess the ferry is bigger than I thought.