Freedom of TheSeas review 3-2-14

Thank you for getting back with me on my questions.

OK, so we do (if we want) tip at Johnny Rockets.

We will be on deck 9, (one deck lower than yours) an inner room also. I don't know how big/small the rooms are, so I guess we will find out soon. There are two of us, so I think we will be OK. Yes, if we didn't have the toothpaste, hand soap/razors in the first place, I don't think we would miss them not being in the bathroom now. Other than the amenities not being there, what are your pros/cons of the room, and not counting the Steward not being there when you needed him.:(

Any pros/cons about the ship (yes I know this is your opinion) that you might want to tell?

I have been on 7 CCL and going on my first RCCL in august I'm so nervous I remember my first carnival cruise I was so apprehensive about going on a huge ship but the attendant was so friendly and hands on he made my hubby and I feel so comfortable. I'm not too worried about the amnesties cause I bring my own just surprised they don't offer it. My question to you because I'm just not sure where to ask how maybe where do you reserve to see shows? I never had to do this before and as a newbie I feel totally confused

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on 7 CCL and going on my first RCCL in august I'm so nervous I remember my first carnival cruise I was so apprehensive about going on a huge ship but the attendant was so friendly and hands on he made my hubby and I feel so comfortable. I'm not too worried about the amnesties cause I bring my own just surprised they don't offer it. My question to you because I'm just not sure where to ask how maybe where do you reserve to see shows? I never had to do this before and as a newbie I feel totally confused

If you are going on Oasis, Allure, Freedom, or Liberty, you would use Royal's website to book shows. On the bottom of the home page, click on the Pre-cruise Planner link.

If you are going on any other ship, you cannot book shows in advance.

I hate to hear that about your room attendant. I sailed the Freedom the week after you. I was on deck nine, and had a wonderful attendant. He showed up within the first hour of being on the ship. He also asked if we wanted ice all week. It seems like every time I came out of my room he was somewhere and spoke to me with a "hello Miss Terri." Our room was always turned down at night. I have been on 3 RCL cruises now and my room was always made "night ready". Guess it shows how different people are and how serious they take their job.

If you are going on Oasis, Allure, Freedom, or Liberty, you would use Royal's website to book shows. On the bottom of the home page, click on the Pre-cruise Planner link.

If you are going on any other ship, you cannot book shows in advance.

Thank you I have so many questions what about excursions you have to do that before hand also or have to wait to get on the boat

Thank you I have so many questions what about excursions you have to do that before hand also or have to wait to get on the boat

It's your choice to book excursions before the cruise, or on board. If you book before, you pay immediately. If you book on board, your on board account gets charged, which would use on board credit should you have any. However, if it's a popular excursion, then there's a chance that it could be sold out if you wait too long to book.

Edited by clarea

It's your choice to book excursions before the cruise, or on board. If you book before, you pay immediately. If you book on board, your on board account gets charged, which would use on board credit should you have any. However, if it's a popular excursion, then there's a chance that it could be sold out if you wait too long to book.

Ok thanks so much do you suggest we eat in the mdr for breakfast because people keep saying their buffet is so crowded

Ok thanks so much do you suggest we eat in the mdr for breakfast because people keep saying their buffet is so crowded

The crowds in the buffet vary greatly by time. I'd try both and see what you prefer.

@Mrsfabio ...Clarea has got you covered on the questions!! I was going to answer them exactly the same!! Awesome :) :)

The Ice Show is the only show we had to book ahead of time. The regular, broadway-style shows in the main theater are just 'walk-in'. Just like any other cruise line.

My husband always books ahead for our excursions so that we never run the risk of them selling out. We usually do our own thing at the ports we've visited in the past. Cheaper and more time flexibility in our opinion. But ports like Jamaica or Honduras (higher crime rate; shorter port stops ; less familiarity on our part etc) those are the types of places we ALWAYS book an excursion through the CruiseLine or stay onboard.

For the question about tipping at Johnny Rockets...yes you got it right. Your tip is already paid for in the cover charge but if you WANT TO you may tip extra. Your choice!

About the cabin steward,,, I'm starting to realize that our situation was most likely a remote case. Sounds like it's not a FOS thing or even a RC thing...just an isolated case that more than likely won't happen again to anyone else. He was prob having a 'bad week' and I can certainly understand that!! Glad to hear that others experienced outstanding attendants (which sounds more like what I'm used to in all the other cruises we've been on)

Can't wait to read new reviews...even from some of you on this thread!!

Happy cruising folks!!!

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Edited by Kimnjimnkids

What I recommend the most is have your breakfast brought as room service. That's what we did each day.

If you're the type that wants to get out and sit down at a 'diner' for breakfast, then head to the MDR...because a host will seat you..a waiter will serve you...and you will also (if you choose) get access to a buffet they set up in the MDR that is an exact replica of everything at the buffet in Windjammer. So 'double score'!!! That's my advice. Each time we checked windjammer for breakfast or lunch it was IMPOSSIBLY crowded!! EXCEPT at dinnertime/evening.

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

What I recommend the most is have your breakfast brought as room service. That's what we did each day.

If you're the type that wants to get out and sit down at a 'diner' for breakfast, then head to the MDR...because a host will seat you..a waiter will serve you...and you will also (if you choose) get access to a buffet they set up in the MDR that is an exact replica of everything at the buffet in Windjammer. So 'double score'!!! That's my advice. Each time we checked windjammer for breakfast or lunch it was IMPOSSIBLY crowded!! EXCEPT at dinnertime/evening.

Thanks I'm so nervous wanting to try a different fleet of boats didn't want to feel the crowds. They don't bring the food out on plates in the mdr?

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

They don't bring the food out to you on plates in the mdr?

In the MDR at breakfast, you can order off the menu and/or use the buffet. The buffet usually has cold items like fruit, granola, cereal. Some ships also have hot items like scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage.

Anything you order off the menu will be brought to you on plates.

In the MDR at breakfast, you can order off the menu and/or use the buffet. The buffet usually has cold items like fruit, granola, cereal. Some ships also have hot items like scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage.

Anything you order off the menu will be brought to you on plates.

Thanks so much for your help trying something new I know I will love it thou!

They don't bring the food out to you on plates in the mdr?

Yes they do! Sorry I think I keep confusing you (yikes)!

Yes the waiter brings you your food that you order from the menu! But you are also free to get up and grab anything from the buffet. Plates are up there for you! I will tell you exactly how it went:

We arrived at the MDR doors and a host said 'how many in your party?' We then get seated. A waiter comes right there ...hands us menus and asks what we would like to drink. Coffee. And he pours us water as well. We look over the menu and when he arrives w the coffee we give him our order. Husband got fried eggs over easy and I ordered buttermilk pancakes. (The menu wasn't a humongous variety but that's fine bc. The buffet was HUGE). After we gave our order we got right up and helped ourselves to the buffet. It had EVERYTHING!! It almost would've been all we needed. The only thing prob was missing that the Windjammer has is an omelet/egg station but those were the items you could order off the menu so you were covered either way:)

Anyways...hope I've helped you (and not added to the confusion :) )

Ask me anything if you have more questions.

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Edited by Kimnjimnkids

Thank you for getting back with me on my questions.

OK, so we do (if we want) tip at Johnny Rockets.

We will be on deck 9, (one deck lower than yours) an inner room also. I don't know how big/small the rooms are, so I guess we will find out soon. There are two of us, so I think we will be OK. Yes, if we didn't have the toothpaste, hand soap/razors in the first place, I don't think we would miss them not being in the bathroom now. Other than the amenities not being there, what are your pros/cons of the room, and not counting the Steward not being there when you needed him.:(

Any pros/cons about the ship (yes I know this is your opinion) that you might want to tell?

I thought the cabin was nice and 'roomy'. The beds are so amazing!! I know I've said that a lot lol. There's only one teenie weenie countertop that shares its space with the tv (thank God its a flat screen!) so that was challenging. Here's a hint though...the walls are metal. Buy those magnet hook thingys and put them on a wall out of your way. We hung everything we could to free up space on the countertop. Such as all our paperwork..hung the lanyards with our room keys...I hung my small handbag...things like that. That was a real huge help for me!! Also..there is only ONE power outlet (holds 2 plugs)You might want to bring one if those plug-in 4-outlet blocks to give yourself more outlets. As long as its a new one, it meets the standards of RC and we even used an extension cord, which are supposedly prohibited, but no one said anything about it and we left it plugged in 24/7. It wasn't a heavy duty type (a higher voltage user)...it was the smaller type, like the ones you buy from the dollar store. That provided an extra 2 outlets. (We have several chargers, night light, a small fan for 'white noise', laptop etc) we NEEDED more than two outlets lol.

I loved the showers!! Glass doors (plexiglass) instead of a thin curtain that sticks to your wet body.

I thought the storage was ample! All if our luggage tucked under the beds perfectly so we had every bit of our closet space for clothes, shoes and other stuff. We had four of us so I really needed the space! No problems there!! :)

The rooms are quite sound proof. I was amazed! And no creaking sounds during rough seas! Out of all the ships we sailed I've always heard creaking but there was not one creak!! And we had rough seas! Loved that!!

I can't think of anything else..you can ask specifics if you want.

Hope that helped :)

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

ImageUploadedByForums1396533789.878792.jpg.934c9d7ad5e71ae183131cf3cffd1a66.jpg

This is the one and only countertop. Small as you can see.

I guess the tv doesn't technically 'share' the space but nothing tall can go under it...I'm being petty at this point haha!

The room was great! That's my bottom line! We slept like babies. And we never felt too crowded. I've been in tinier cabins that this one and we manage just fine :)

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

That is news to me that you have to book any of the shoes on the Freedom. I spoke with CS a couple weeks ago, and she said the ONLY one was for the ice show.

They used to allow advance booking of more shows on Freedom (and Liberty), but that changed around late 2012. After that, only the ice show was bookable in advance.

• 1 month later...

So, to see the ice show a person would pick let's say either the 7:30 or 9:30 show and have to call to reserve that time. Are the seats assigned then? Do I understand correctly?

KJnK, where was your room on the deck? ie: forward, mid, aft? And, what was over your room? I am mock booking options for next year right now & for a cabin for 3, the website is defaulting to deck 10, but from the plans, there's no way I want the pool area or the WJ above me.

I've read time & again about how bad the crowds are at WJ. Is it because it's truly not large enough to accommodate the sheer number of people on the ship, or do you think it's simply crowded only at peak times (ie: 6pm dinner)?

Did the ship overall feel crowded to you?

Did the crew give a reason for not being able to skate? I'd be ticked, as that's one of the only reasons we're considering this boat.

So, to see the ice show a person would pick let's say either the 7:30 or 9:30 show and have to call to reserve that time. Are the seats assigned then? Do I understand correctly?...

Seats are not assigned in the ice show. A reservation only gets you in the door.

We were in Freedom in Sept. so kids were back in school and the ship didn't seem that crowded to us. We had 4 people in an inside room I believe it was deck 8 or 9. We only ate in the Windjammer In our travels on Royal (#6) it seems like the WJ is busier for breakfast and around the time everyone is getting back from the excursions (close to port departure.) Dinner is usually pretty quiet though we were surprised on the Jewell couple week ago how many more people were in there (I guess the secret is out that it's a good alternative if you don't want to sit for 1-2 hours to eat)