Sintra, Cascais & Quelez Questions

I would like to visit Sintra while in Portugal, but have limited time. I'm primarily interested in seeing the outside, multi-colore Pena Palace. Can I assume that just going to the town of Sintra and driving through will not allow me any view of the Palace? Also, I know there's a bus that goes from the train station up to the Palace (and other places up on the hill/mountain). However, is it possible to take a cab up there if I have to due to timing of the buses? They don't start running until 9:45 but I'd like to get there a little earlier if possible, although I know that would mean getting up pretty early to get to Rossio train station and then take the train to Sintra.

For Cascais, my cruise line is offering a tour that goes there, described as, "Enjoy walking around the picturesque harbor area, the beautiful bay and the old streets of this fishing village." I believe this would mean I could visit the blue and white lighthouse there, but I'm not sure precisely where the tour goes and whether this is actually possible.

I don't know much about the Quelez Palace. Is it very interesting from a photographic standpoint? I am generally not all that interested in palaces, especially their interiors, but am a little curious about this one, as I know nothing about it!

• 2 weeks later...

Not knowing much time you got but here some info that will help to plan the trip.

a) Sintra - if in Lisbon center can be reached by train from Rossio station in about 45 min. Pena Palace is on the hill; you can see from anywhere. To get there take tourist bus 434 http://www.scotturb.com from Sintra rail station. But you still can't get close to it as the ticket booth is outside the gardens & ticket (and a hike) is required to get to palace. Moorish Castle is also there (5 min walk from bus drop off)

b) Scott bus 403 goes from Sintra train station to Cascais (no point going back to Lisbon). To get to Lisbon from Cascais take train to Cais Do Sodre. Train schedules from Lisbon to Sintra or Cascais (and vice verso) are http://cp.pt see Urbanos/Lisboa

c) Skip Queluz Palace if time is an issue. There are lots of palaces in Sintra alone.

Also can check out http://www.wehatetourismtours.com they offer combined Sintra/Cascais tour for people who are short on time

THIS TRIP INCLUDES: Pastéis de Belém, wine, and a typical portuguese lunch (light - we eat all day).

THIS TRIP DOES NOT INCLUDE: Quinta da Regaleira entrance (6 euros) and ice cream (2.60 euros), queijada and coffee (2 euros), Ginginha (1 euro).

SITES VISITED: Sintra, Quinta da Regaleira, Cabo da Roca, Guincho beach, Cascais and Belém.

THIS TOUR STARTS AT: 9am

DURATION: 7 Hours

PRICE: 48 Euros per person

Edited by hkto

I don't know much about the Quelez Palace. Is it very interesting from a photographic standpoint? I am generally not all that interested in palaces, especially their interiors, but am a little curious about this one, as I know nothing about it!

I visited Queluz (note spelling) Palace many years ago and thought it was just lovely. The exterior is painted pale pink and I believe it is in the same style as the Palace of Versailles in France. The formal gardens are beautiful. It is certainly very photogenic from the outside but I don't know whether you are allowed to take photographs inside the palace.

Thank you both for your help. I really can't decide how to use my time, but I'm slowly getting there!

So to walk to the Mouros castle takes around 5 minutes from where the bus drops you. Would either of you happen to know if it's about the same amount of time to get to Pena Palace? I think there are actually two bus stops (one closer to Mouros and one closer to Pena) but I have been having trouble determining how long of a walk (or probably a climb) it is from either one to Pena. Can a decent photograph of Pena be taken from the bus stop?

Yes there are bus 2 stops but walk between them is 5 min or so. As I said there is a walk from gate (ticket booth) to Pena, 10 min uphill if I remember right. They also have paid tourist train that takes people from the gate.

Yes there are bus 2 stops but walk between them is 5 min or so. As I said there is a walk from gate (ticket booth) to Pena, 10 min uphill if I remember right. They also have paid tourist train that takes people from the gate.

Thanks!

Here is an useful site http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/ has info on all palaces except Quinta Regalera (which in the city center, 6 euros). According to this website it's possible to buy just park ticket for Pena & come close to the palace without going in. The best value is a combined Pena/Moorish Castle ticket. I liked views from the Moorish castle & walk on the wall http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/parks-and-monuments/moorish-castle/