Island Escape v P and O

micky most

Having only sailed on the two biggies with P and O Azura and Ventura 3 times over the last two years and paying out loads for the privilege we have taken the plunge and booked Island Escape for 1/4/2014.At an amount of money more affordable but looking at some of the pictures of Island Escape on http://www.cruise.co.uk the toilets on decks i/e public ones look pretty run down and falling apart is this the case over the whole ship?What are the cabins like?are they similar in disrepair? I think we made a good descision to book but now not sure?

regards Micky.

1617049479_0000Cruise2009to01012010132.jpg.jpg.5629182c0e623f9bf357166da6e8a81c.jpg

1515783751_0000Cruise2009to01012010195.jpg.jpg.43eacda61d643b9cd8a83a54f81a8ab4.jpg

713947810_0000Cruise2009to01012010197.jpg.jpg.7d4153b5c311069532047be32419d2fc.jpg

Edited by micky most

Hi Mickey Most,

All the public toilets on the IE have been refurbished in the past couple of years to a high standard. The cabins are OK considering their age, but I wouldn't say they were in a state of disrepair. The ship is 32 years old and is certainly showing its age, but it is run by the most amazing set of staff and crew - the show team are West End standard and on the last cruise of the season we went on last October, over 50% of the passengers were returnees (the winners of the champagne were on their 49th cruise on board!), which must say something about the quality on board.

I agree with Mallorca Chap....we love this ship! in spite of its rather dated appearance.....we have sailed on most of P and O ships including Ventura and Azura which of course are no comparison to IE.....I think of the cabins on IE as being like an old fashioned holiday caravan...the beds look really basic but we find them very comfortable, there will be loads of storage but in old fashioned drawers (usually newly varnished) and hanging space behind curtains. we were last on two years ago and our cabin had been newly carpeted and the shower cubicle (larger than Venturas) had been refurbished.

She is less formal than Ventura in that there is no need for dinner suit or very posh frocks....smart casual is the order of the day for evenings...we usually eat in the Island restaurant rather than the buffet which is still self serve but there are table cloths and the waiters will serve water and coffee or drinks. They are very attentive and friendly.

The entertainment is superb, the Cruise Director is the best we've seen out of all 24 cruises or so that we have done. When you consider that tips are included and that drinks are included and the itineraries are just that bit different, they really are excellent value. We shall be joining her on 22 April along with several others from this site and are really looking forward to it.

Go with an open mind and I'm sure you won't be disappointed:)

Having only sailed on the two biggies with P and O Azura and Ventura 3 times over the last two years and paying out loads for the privilege we have taken the plunge and booked Island Escape for 1/4/2014.At an amount of money more affordable but looking at some of the pictures of Island Escape on http://www.cruise.co.uk the toilets on decks i/e public ones look pretty run down and falling apart is this the case over the whole ship?What are the cabins like?are they similar in disrepair? I think we made a good descision to book but now not sure?

regards Micky.

Yeah don't worry about those pictures, they have been doing the rounds for years. I remember them panicking me before I first went on. That first pic is of a public loo area that I do not recognise, & the other two are definitely an IE shower cubicle but one that had been stripped for re tiling. The IE is laid back but no one would be expected to use a shower facility in that condition.

Same as Jenny said when I was last on in 2012 my cabin had the shower cubicle walls relined & a new tray.

Thank you for all the immediate replies.You have put my mind at rest.We only sailed P and O because thats what the travel agents recommended and it was our first cruise only two years ago.Last year in November we went on Azura booking only 4 weeks before cruise.Well if I had waited we could have saved £1400 off the cruise fare.Many loyal P and O cruisers were furious that they had booked early then people on last minute deals got upgraded to balcony cabins for only paying £699 each.Well we are not rich by any means but love the cruising holiday.So saw this Island Escape ship and became hooked.But after seeing comments and pictures got a little worried.I have been in old touring caravans and statics so am used to being living in a small space so if the cabins are old but most importantly clean then thats great!And for the price we have paid this time I think so far it seems excellent value.

Jenny Wren you have sailed P and O on Ventura and Azura etc so you must appreciate where I was coming from with my concerns and I am not expecting The Island Escape to be the same in newness etc. but thank you all for the excellent advice.It seems that Island Escape is a very friendly ship from what you all say.Well if 50 percent booking are returnees then that certainly says something doesnt it.

regards and best wishes Micky and Mrs Micky....

Edited by micky most

At this rate everybody will find out about the Island Escape and we will struggle to get a cruise on board the "white lady " :D

Well thank you for the friendly welcome Rebel until your posting I was starting to believe Island Escape to be a friendly ship,only the other posters who replied here couldnt have been more nicer!Again thanks to them.:)

Micky

Edited by micky most

Yes Mr Rebel

“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

Very a true word said as I quote above from the Great Abraham Lincoln.No doubt you may have been being humorous but it seemed to be at my expense (and other possible Island Escape Newbies)and when the tables reversed you didnt get my humour well thats a shame!:p

Edited by micky most

Rebel Rouser

And I sincerely hope you have a wonderfull cruise on the 22nd as I hope you wish us the best as well all jokes aside nothing was meant by my earlier postings;) as lifes too short so

all the best

micky and mrs micky

Edited by micky most

• 2 weeks later...

Great to read all the banter. We loved the I E so much from last year, we are going again this year (24/6). Great staff, great ports and met great people. Don't let anything detract from going and enjoying the experience M & J

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

RR see you have hours to your next trip, we have 67 days to wait. Hope you update us with loads of info and I won't say have a good time as we know you both will

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Several changes have been made on the good ship? Including a brand new restaurant plus new decking etc. Now finished work for 18 days and yes only a few days left...although have been on over 20 times I still get that tingling sensation... Maybe I can get some tablets for that lol :D