Rebecca Coriam's family to sue Disney for $75,000

DISNEY FANTASY

Rebecca Coriam's family to sue Disney for $75,000

News just in.

The parents of a British woman who went missing at sea from a Disney cruise ship are suing the company for $75,000 (£45,000).

Crew member Rebecca Coriam, 24, went missing from the Disney Wonder, off the coast of Mexico, three years ago.

Her parents Mike and Ann Coriam from Chester have filed papers against Disney claiming the entertainment giant failed in its duty of care.

A Disney spokeswoman said there was no "merit" in the legal action.

Rebecca, who was a youth worker on the ship, was last seen on 22 March 2011 at 05:45 GMT, when CCTV footage showed her making a phone call to a friend from the staff quarters. The alarm was raised four hours later when she failed to turn up for the start of her shift.

Her family claim Disney Cruise Lines acted negligently in waiting more than four hours to alert the US Coastguard, more than five hours to contact the Mexican navy and nearly seven hours to call the Bahamas police.

In legal papers filed last week, Mr and Mrs Coriam claimed that Disney gave "false and misleading" information about the ship's position when it alerted the coastguard.

They allege that Disney's security to monitor crew members and passengers was inadequate, as was its surveillance for a person falling overboard.

Mr and Mrs Coriam also claim that the company breached established protocols for a person overboard.

A spokeswoman for Disney Cruise Lines said: "This incident has been investigated by the authorities. The claims are without merit, as we will demonstrate in court."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-26728748

http://www.rebecca-coriam.com/

So they are putting a price on their daughter's life? The situation was tragic, but I'm not sure DCL did anything wrong, or that they could have prevented her death short of assigning a full time person to monitor her.

Hopefully, the facts will come out in the courts and if they did breach any protocol, etc. Disney should be held accountable. If they followed proper procedures, then it was just a horrible accident. We shouldn't be too willing to sue, but should be very glad a system is in place to allow it.

So they are putting a price on their daughter's life? The situation was tragic, but I'm not sure DCL did anything wrong, or that they could have prevented her death short of assigning a full time person to monitor her.

No I do not think a price on her lift just unhappy as a parent would be, they feel there should have been more duty of care.

Hopefully, the facts will come out in the courts and if they did breach any protocol, etc. Disney should be held accountable. If they followed proper procedures, then it was just a horrible accident. We shouldn't be too willing to sue, but should be very glad a system is in place to allow it.

A well balanced answer there we all have different viewpoints.

It seems a very paltry amount if Disney are held culpable of anything in the courts. I think the issue was that it took so long before they looked for her/checked cameras/alerted the authorities. I read something in the British press to this effect.

I agree completely. The amount they are asking is NOTHING compared to the lawsuits in the U.S.

Was it reasonable for someone to be watching her 24/7? No...but that's not what they're saying. If DCL really DID delay so long in notifying anyone, and not starting a search, then $75,000 is a very small price for them to pay.

I think up until now, the family has been very patient in waiting for answers of some kind.

After what DCL did with the crew member they HAD ON VIDEO molesting the young girl, it wouldn't surprise me to find that they either covered something up, or were lax in their responsibilities.

Edited by MizDaisy

Say a wealthy person with no insurance hits and kills a member of your family with his/her car. Would you not put a price on your loved one's life, and sue them???

Or would you just say, "Oh well, that's okay...accidents happen. He/she probably just didn't see my loved one". :confused:

Say a wealthy person with no insurance hits and kills a member of your family with his/her car. Would you not put a price on your loved one's life, and sue them???

Or would you just say, "Oh well, that's okay...accidents happen. He/she probably just didn't see my loved one". :confused:

It would depend on the circumstances. If they were impaired or did it deliberately, I'd take them for everything they had. If it were an accident, and "Act of God" taht couldn't ahve been prevented, then no, I would not. And did not when a very close family member died after being hit by a car in a snow storm. It was an accident, and it happens. I was recently injured, pretty seriously, in an accident. I have no intention of suing over an accident that no one could have anticipated or prevented. Maybe I'm just not "Sue Happy" like the rest of the world. It won't bring my relative back, nor will it make me heal any faster.

I think they have gone for the smallest sum possible its not about money its about not being answered and a parents wish to find out what did happen and frustration that they feel there is lock down on this and a brick wall.

I think this litigation is there to give publicity and get DCL to respond.

No way is it putting a price on a life, if they wanted to do that they would have gone for far far far more.

I think they have gone for the smallest sum possible its not about money its about not being answered and a parents wish to find out what did happen and frustration that they feel there is lock down on this and a brick wall.

No way is it putting a price on a life, if they wanted to do that they would have gone for far far far more.

Then they should have just said unspecified damages and let the jury decide.

I agree with you. It's very obvious it isn't about the money. I don't blame them at all for wanting some kind of answers.

Since we don't know what DCL has or has not told them, then it's impossible to judge whether what they're doing is wrong. As a parent, I'd do whatever I could to get answers.

It would depend on the circumstances. If they were impaired or did it deliberately, I'd take them for everything they had. If it were an accident, and "Act of God" taht couldn't ahve been prevented, then no, I would not. And did not when a very close family member died after being hit by a car in a snow storm. It was an accident, and it happens. I was recently injured, pretty seriously, in an accident. I have no intention of suing over an accident that no one could have anticipated or prevented. Maybe I'm just not "Sue Happy" like the rest of the world. It won't bring my relative back, nor will it make me heal any faster.

If you truly, honestly would not want medical bills, funeral expenses, etc, to be paid for, then you really are one in a million. And I don't mean that in a bad or sarcastic way.

If you truly, honestly would not want medical bills, funeral expenses, etc, to be paid for, then you really are one in a million. And I don't mean that in a bad or sarcastic way.

As I said, we did not sue. It wasn't going to bring him back and would just force us to relive it rather than move forward through the grieving process.

I am not suing, even though I have thousands in medical bills ($3K deductible plus co-pays). It was an ACCIDENT and it will just use energy I'd rather put towards more productive things in my life.

As I said, we did not sue. It wasn't going to bring him back and would just force us to relive it rather than move forward through the grieving process.

I am not suing, even though I have thousands in medical bills ($3K deductible plus co-pays). It was an ACCIDENT and it will just use energy I'd rather put towards more productive things in my life.

I meant it when I said you were one in a million, most people would.

And it really does depend. In a true "accident", most of us have insurance, both through our auto insurance and health insurance, and like you, I wouldn't do it, either.

But in another type of circumstances, say if the other person were impaired or did something totally stupid....illegal, I guess, perhaps an illegal lane change, or worse, then you bet I would. Although I do understand what you're saying about the fact that it won't bring someone back, and it IS a lot to have to go through it all again, so it's a tough choice. I guess I pretty much agree with you there.

But in Rebecca's parents' situation, like I said, we have no idea what Disney has or hasn't told them, whether they've even reached out to them at all, and since Disney likes to let people think they're like one big family, and a lot of large corporations would like to see a peaceful resolution, I just think they should be sufficiently forthcoming with her parents...and at least in her parents' mind, they (DCL) apparently hasn't. It's a way to get their attention....not to get their money.

I had the opportunity, though, to sue DCL myself, and it would have been impossible. I knew better than to waste my time or money trying. They had themselves so well covered with their lies it wasn't even funny. In case you (or anyone else) are curious, it would have been negligence. And all I really would have liked was at least even a small portion of my ruined cruise fare back....not even all of it. But no.....they lied, lied, and lied again. I never stood a chance. I personally feel badly for Rebecca's parents, as I know how DCL treated me.....and in their case, their daughter is dead. At least I'm alive and well.

Edited for typing/spelling error

Edited by MizDaisy

That's an odd amount. 45,000 pounds. I wonder if that's just their expenses.

Disney will just settle and move on. That's a drop in the bucket.

I kind of thought they might just settle. But that won't answer the questions. Poor people.

On the same type of subject, does anyone know if the couple of families who had children suffer severe accidents in the pools ever sue? If that's hush-hush, then just tell me so.

There was no negligence in the part of DCL with the kids who drowned. There was no life guard at the pool, which is clearly stated and obvious, and the children were not properly supervised by their parents. Sad but true.

I'm probably going to be flame for this, but.....

I appreciate the original post in keeping the boards up to date with the facts. And I agree with much of the speculation that has been posted. However, it somehow feels disrespectful to to try to assume what is in her parents hearts and minds. They have lost their daughter; their motivations and feelings are theirs--not ours to speculate on. Perhaps we should stick to facts and let them have their peace.

As to the "one big happy family" idea...have you ever read the fine print on a WDW ticket? The legal talk is unreal!

Edited by moki'smommy

I doubt that Disney would settle, unless a claim of no responsibility was included in the settlement, as well as non-disclosure. If the parents are hoping that Disney will admit to responsibility, they would not settle with these clauses, and Disney has already claimed no responsibility, so I fear this is bound for court.

There was no negligence in the part of DCL with the kids who drowned. There was no life guard at the pool, which is clearly stated and obvious, and the children were not properly supervised by their parents. Sad but true.

This is one of those times when I agree with what you said about not suing. Terrible, terrible tragic accidents. I'm sure (as a parent and grandparent) that the parents have "sued" themselves, over and over again...if you know what I mean.....blamed themselves. Which we can't help doing, as parents....but kids are slippery little devils and no matter what you do, they can get away from you.

Off topic, but my oldest daughter was the spawn of Houdini. She could get out of anything, get away from anyone...I had to strap her six ways to Sunday in her stroller at the mall or in public. I even "invented" extra straps for her, or she'd be in the next county before anyone realized she was gone. Her first trip to Disneyland, I had her on one of the original "kid leash" things.....I've never gotten so many nasty remarks and dirty looks in my life, but my daughter had a great time, and we all lived to tell about out trip. (She's now 32 and the mother of my 3 grandkids, and she doesn't feel the least bit scarred from having worn one:D)

If the accident wasn't your fault I am surprised your insurance company hasn't forced you to join them in a lawsuit. They don't want to pay all those bills if the other party was responsible...

If the accident wasn't your fault I am surprised your insurance company hasn't forced you to join them in a lawsuit. They don't want to pay all those bills if the other party was responsible...

It was not my fault, nor was it related to an auto. It was truly a freak accident, and it would be very difficult to place blame on anyone, because no one was "at fault." It was one of those rare times where it was truly a "stuff happens" moment that no one caused, could have anticipated, or could have prevented.

I'm probably going to be flame for this' date=' but.....

I appreciate the original post in keeping the boards up to date with the facts. And I agree with much of the speculation that has been posted. However, it somehow feels disrespectful to to try to assume what is in her parents hearts and minds. They have lost their daughter; their motivations and feelings are theirs--not ours to speculate on. Perhaps we should stick to facts and let them have their peace.

As to the "one big happy family" idea...have you ever read the fine print on a WDW ticket? The legal talk is unreal![/quote']

They are not trying to have their peace if they file lawsuits.

If they're still making news, then they are fair game for discussion here.

Edited by Host Mick