Azura Bruges

Monster66

Can anyone offer advice re how to get into Bruges without going via an official tour?

I have seen that taxis are an option and wonder if there are 2 others who would like to share a taxi with me and my friend?

Any help re getting into Bruges will be appreciated

Cruise date 4-7 April 2014

Sue

Edited by Monster66

P&O run a shuttle bus into Blankenbirg, the nearest town along the coast. From there you can catch a train to Bruges. (Note, however, that you need to walk a good 15 minutes from Bruges station into the old town.)

You also need to be aware of the train times back and how they work with the last shuttle back to the ship. P&O will tell you the time of the last shuttle - it's often not very convenient for trains.

Tom uk is right it is very inexpensive to take the train. If I remember correctly

About five euros return. The trains run on time.! Yes the walk is around

A quarter of an hour. We walked back to the station. But we boarded a bus

From the station to the town. Just a few minutes.

A friend and I cycled one year! It was such a lovely day we rented bikes from the railway station , Blankenburg I think, and it took us a couple of hours of leisurely riding thru the countryside.

We didn't spend much time in Bruges, but we had been there many times before so the bike ride was actually the highlight for us

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Those of you that have been before,,do you think it's possible to do both Bruges and Blankenburg on the same day? Have been looking at it all and wondering what we will do for the whole day in Bruges on a Sunday.

Hi. I am on this cruise too with my daughter. I've been doing my research and I don't think you would have time to do both Blankenberge and Bruges. During my research, I found out that there's a yearly cycling event in Bruges that day. It starts from the Market Square around 9 15am. I am told by a Bruges travel advisor that there will be lots of people in Bruges that day. But the good news is, all the cyclists and their followers will have all gone by 10.15am. So we are getting the train from Blankenberge to Bruges station at 09 10am and then walking to the centre via Minnewater, also called Lake of Love. It sounds a lovely walk. And lots of interesting things to see along the way. That will get us to the centre about 10am. The only thing I am worried about is, the train divides into 2 at Bruges station and I'm not sure how to make sure we are in the right section of the train. If anyone is reading this knows how, please could you help. ( Don't want to miss the ship) :confused:

Hi. I am on this cruise too with my daughter. I've been doing my research and I don't think you would have time to do both Blankenberge and Bruges. During my research, I found out that there's a yearly cycling event in Bruges that day. It starts from the Market Square around 9 15am. I am told by a Bruges travel advisor that there will be lots of people in Bruges that day. But the good news is, all the cyclists and their followers will have all gone by 10.15am. So we are getting the train from Blankenberge to Bruges station at 09 10am and then walking to the centre via Minnewater, also called Lake of Love. It sounds a lovely walk. And lots of interesting things to see along the way. That will get us to the centre about 10am. The only thing I am worried about is, the train divides into 2 at Bruges station and I'm not sure how to make sure we are in the right section of the train. If anyone is reading this knows how, please could you help. ( Don't want to miss the ship) :confused:

First of all there will be many people like yourself doing the same thing. :) Blankenberge will be on a display sign on the outside of train and also inside. ;)

We pre booked a taxi, was for six passengers.

I booked it on the internet and during the days before just by chatting to people we could have filled the four spare seats several times over.

We arranged with two other couples to meet us outside the ship ten mins before taxi was due ( was actually a very nice mini bus ) and I'm sure if anyone hadn't arrived we could easily have found replacements as passengers got off.

When the driver arrived he held up our names.

Apparently at that port taxis can only come to the ship if they have proof they have been pre booked.

Worked out really cheap ( sorry was two years ago so can't remember exactly but €15 each way seems to ring a bell!) when divided between three couples was great .

The driver dropped us in central Brugge and collected us from the same spot at agreed time later that day