Embarkation on Tere Moana

macmarsue

We are taking a European Cruise on the Tere Moana and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with boarding the ship. Cruise docs say 3 pm boarding time. Has anyone ever boarded the ship any earlier? Our flight lands in FCO at 7:45 am. Trying to figure out what to do until 3pm. We were hoping to board earlier than 3pm.

By the time you maneuver your way through FCO, collect your luggage, go through immigration, and find your way to whatever transit you are using to the port, expect it to be close to 9:00 am. By the time you get loaded into the train/taxi and on your way, it could be closer to 9:30, depending on the wait. It's a full hour to the port by car, longer if there is traffic or other delays. Taking the train is at least 90 minutes, much cheaper, but you need to handle your own luggage both at FCO, the transfer in Rome, and for the half mile walk from the train station to the port entrance.

Bottom line, you most likely won't arrive at the port before 10:30.

That said, you should be able to check your bags when you get to the port, and then you can spend the next few hours exploring the area.

If it were me, I'd probably head to Rome, leave my bags at Deposito Bagaglio in Termini, explore Rome for a few hours, have lunch, then take the train to the port. (It would be Termini to Trastevere then transfer to the local to Civitavecchia. Plan on two hours)

We do have a private transfer booked. Just wondering if anyone had any experience boarding the ship earlier than 3? I know that when we have done cruises in the past we have boarded the ships earlier. Even on the River cruises we have boarded the ship around noon.

I dont know about boarding earlier.

But the TM is very small with very few staff so if the cabins are not ready they may not allow you.

The PG does not allow boardinguntil 3pm and they usually stick to it give or take a half hour or so.

If you really want to be aboard earlier ask for it and there may be a fee like for example Oceania has.

We were allowed on at 1:45PM but were asked to stay in the lounge till 3:00PM or walk around the town till then. Luggage was kept on the dock under a tent with a guard.I don't consider the TM a very small ship.;)

I wouldn't count on it but if they are ready to receive you they will make it very clear. If they are not ready they will probably offer to take your bags so you can walk around until boarding time.

Another words ............ hope for the best but be prepared to not be able to board until 3pm.

We were allowed on at 1:45PM but were asked to stay in the lounge till 3:00PM or walk around the town till then. Luggage was kept on the dock under a tent with a guard.I don't consider the TM a very small ship.;)

At 90 passengers and just 350 feet in length or so its a very small ship...We visited again this january a year after being on the inaugural cruise and I stand by my opinion .

Maybe you are confusing it with the PG?