Weather in early August?

Rache.

My first cruise starts Sunday -- 12 days cruisetour on the HAL volendam and I'm worrying about the weather. Looking at the 10 day forecasts it seems like the best weather we might get is "light rain." What does that do to the enjoyment of the trip? We've booked Misty Fjords flightseeing, the Pennock Paddle kayak trip, a glacier trek in Juneau, car rental for the drive in Skagway and a flight around Mt. McKinley.

So how likely are the flights to be cancelled because of poor visibility? Is the car trip kind of a waste in bad weather? I'm so looking forward to this trip and I don't want to be worrying about the weather instead of enjoying whatever's happening.

The tour operators in the southeast are very experienced in operating in this type of weather. You just have to be prepared for it. A lite weight water repellent windbreaker is a good choice. As noted on other posts denim is not a good choice as it holds water and dries slowly.

As to the flight around McKinley, if you're doing the 'Over the Top' excursion you have a good chance as sometimes the mountain is out above the clouds. Roger Fisher will make every effort to let you see the mountain but obviously safety is of the utmost importance. He will not compromise that.

North of the range (Healy north to Fairbanks) the weather forcast looks like partly cloudy to partly sunny with the highs in the upper 60's and lower 70's.

There is no use worrying about the weather, it's unpredictable. Certainly flights cancel due to weather, have some back up plans in mind. I too give a big edge to McKinley summit flights and clearly are my preference. But I have no clue who "Roger Fisher is" AND no reference to the booking?? I go with Talkeetna Aero which only them and K-2 I believe do the summit flights?

Archived