Alaska 2015: RADIANCE OF THE SEAS or CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM?

Hi @ all,

for 2015 we plan to do an Alaska cruise and a Canada vacation.

Since we really like the itineraries between Vancouver and Seward of Celebrity and RCI, we plan either:

-CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM: Aug 14, 2015: Vancouver to Seward

-RADIANCE OF THE SEAS: Jul 31, 2015: Seward to Vancouver

These both cruises fit best into our holiday plans.

We really liked CELEBRITY SUMMIT in 2013 (and we will sail on her in one week again) and think we would also like MILLENNIUM.

In Sep 2014 we will do our first RCI cruise, and the feedback of RADIANCE is alway very good.

Any recommendations which choice would be better?

Thank you!!!

I've sailed both great ships. I do see a few differences. The Radiance class ship has more glass, that is more window opportunities for viewing the scenery from inside the ship. That can make a difference if you encounter less than ideal weather. I also like the walk around the ship promenade deck on the Radiance. Radiance may also have more families with children because the children's programs have a good reputation and attract vacationing families.

The Celebrity sailings offer Aqua class which offers dining in Blu and few, if any, children in the Blu dining room. The overall ambiance is a bit more subdued than Royal, and the ships are beautifully elegant. IMHO the outside deck areas are not quite as good as the Radiance, but there is still always a spot at the railing if a bear is sighted onshore.

You'll see by my signature that we are sailing Celebrity in 2014 to Alaska.

Either ship is a wonderful cruise and your choice of the one way itinerary is the best for a first-time Alaska cruise. Try the Cruise Critic Alaska forum for more planning info.

Hi,

thanks for the information!

I think we will have a great Alaska cruise, either with MILLWNNIUM or RADIANCE...

OK, more children are not so pleasant for me, but I think in Alaska the risk to have many children on board is relatively low...

As I have written, I already know SUMMIT (which should be more or less the same than MILLENNIUM) and I liked it very much.

The Celebrity cruise is slightly cheaper than the RCI cruise.

the itinerary is more or less the same.

RCI: Seward - Hubbard - Juenau - Skagway - Icy Strait - Ketchikan - Inside Passage - Vancouver

Celebrity: Vancouver - Ketchikan - Icy Strait - Juneau - Skagway - Hubbard -Seward.

The port times in Skagway and Ketchikan are longer on the RCI cruise, and RCI passes Hubbard Glacier in the afternoon, while Celebrity passes it in the morning...

We were on the Radiance from Seward to Vancouver in August of 2012. I can't say enough good things about it! We would do it again in a heartbeat!

When we booked the cruise, we arranged to have transfers through RC and I'm glad we did. When we arrived at Anchorage, we asked for the RC representative. We were directed to a kiosk where the friendly RC staff checked us off their list, and then told us when the next bus was leaving for Seward. I think we had about a one hour wait.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the food court, then went back to the waiting area at the RC desk. When the bus arrived, we got in along with several other people and the driver loaded up all the baggage.

I'm not sure how long the drive was but it seemed to pass quickly. The scenery was fantastic and the driver gave information about what we were seeing from time to time.

Before we knew it, we had arrived at the Seward terminal. The Radiance was the only ship there! Check in at the terminal was a breeze. We walked right in, went up to the counter to check in, and went right on to the ship!

The quickest embarkation we have ever had.

The ship is fantastic and the cruise was the best we have ever had. The itinerary includes 4 ports of call. Icy Strait Point was and still is our favorite. We went on the Bear and Whale watch combo excursion through RC. We saw two bears catching Salmon and countless whales! It was absolutely breathtaking!

When we went through the Hubbard Glacier area, we witnessed numerous "calving" which is when great chunks of ice break off with loud cracking and rumbling then fall into the water.

I could go on and on. As you can see, even now I get excited just thinking about it and trying to describe what we saw.

At the end of the cruise, going through the Vancouver terminal was no trouble at all. We also had a transfer through the cruise line that took us to the Vancouver airport.

You might be interested in seeing my wife's picture slideshows. Here is a link to the page where you will see slideshows about the different ports of call as well as the ship. The slideshow will start when you click on the link, but you can also go through the pictures if you want to by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

2012 RC Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound

HAPPY SAILING! It's a great way to explore the world!

I just did the southbound trip last summer on the Millennium. It was one of my favorite cruises of all time. However, in hindsight, the only thing that could have made it better was picking the Radiance over Millennium.

I chose Millennium due to the smoking policy. The last thing I wanted when viewing mountains and glaciers was to be sucking in someone else's second hand smoke. Now, of course, RCI has changed their policy.

Millennium was just a dead ship at night. Especially with the daylight lasting so late, I found myself wanting to stay up and have some fun. RCI is definitely better at nightlife and I do like Radiance Class ships better than M Class.

Thank you all for the answers!!

OK, so maybe the Radiance would be a very nice try - I have spoken to many other friends and their favourite ships are those of the RCI-Radiance-Class! :D

But I liked Summit so much, so Millennium also is very attractive for us.

If anyone has Alaska reviews, either for Radiance, or Millennium, could you please give me the links?? :)

I also would read Princess/HAL/NCL reviews of the North-or Southabound voyages - the itineraries are more or less the same...

We were on the Radiance in summer 2012 and it was perfection!!

The itinerary is great and the ship itself is amazing! With all the glass all over the place you can partake in all the activities and still have the beautiful scenery right there.

Like you said, there really were barely any children onboard, and this was right smack in the middle of summer vacation. We were pretty much amongst the youngest people on the ship (we're in our late 20s...).

The staff is great and it was so much fun!!

It was just such an amazing vacation!! We still get excited about it and dream of saving up enough money to be able to do it all over again.

If you can, stay in Seward for a couple of days, whichever cruise you end up choosing. It is such a gorgeous place with a special feel to it and lots of fun things to do and see!! One of our favorites on our Alaskan adventure :). And I also recommend taking the train from/to Anchorage to/from Seward. It's breathtaking!!!!

I'm jealous.... :)

Edited by alaskawdw12

Thanks, Aquahound, fpr your review!!!

We were on the Radiance in summer 2012 and it was perfection!!

The itinerary is great and the ship itself is amazing! With all the glass all over the place you can partake in all the activities and still have the beautiful scenery right there.

Sounds great!!

Like you said, there really were barely any children onboard, and this was right smack in the middle of summer vacation. We were pretty much amongst the youngest people on the ship (we're in our late 20s...).

The staff is great and it was so much fun!!

That's what I wanted to read!! :):)

Very FEW children is that what we want!!

Yes, we plan to spend a few days in Seward and surrounding, either before or after the cruise.

I have read some reviews with pictures and the scenery looks fantastic!

Edited by celebrity_fan

You really can't go wrong with either of these ships. They're similarly sized, and you're clearly familiar with the Celebrity "vibe." In fact, as Summit is sister to Millennium, you are already familiar with the ship. Not sure if you sailed before or after her "Solsticization."

I sailed Radiance Southbound in Alaska a number of years ago, and it was a fantastic trip. Others are right when they say that all that glass really makes a difference - so much more immersive than the larger, more inward-looking ships. This isn't to say that Millennium feels closed-in, of course, but Radiance class was built for places like Alaska - you really feel more connected to the outside.

All of this said, if I had to choose today, I personally would choose Millennium because I've come to appreciate the Celebrity experience, and while I still enjoy Royal cruises, I find them just a bit wanting relative to X. It's the little things like the welcome champagne, the hot (or cold, depending on weather) towels at the gangway, the restrictive smoking policy, and above all the blissful absence of all-day PA announcements for "BINGO BINGO BINGO" (there is only the captain's noon announcement) that keep me coming back to X.

As I said at the start though, you really cannot go wrong here.

Thank you!

I have been sailing on Summit in 2013, so after the refurbishment.

OK, I think so too, that I cannot go wrong with both ships - I had the feel that also Summit had a lot of glass and you were connected to the seas quite well, IMHO... ;)

We will see what we book. :)

I think the ships of other lines (Princess, HAL, NCL) are also very good, but they are not as "glassy" as Radiance or Millennium, I think.

And Princess and NCL are more expensive...

Here you go. This is a photo review I did of my Millennium southbound cruise. As you know, Radiance does the same exact itinerary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1868304

I just finished looking at your review. Wonderful pictures and descriptions. We haven't sailed on Celebrity. I was very surprised to see so much maintenance needed.

I wonder if other Celebrity ships are like this? I've just started researching Celebrity and I'm curious since we have given some thought to sailing on a Celebrity European itinerary.

Happy cruising!

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much!!

Does Princess have better lecturers?

If they have better excursions, it does not interest us, because we do activities on our own!

When sailing southbound, Princess visits Hubbard glacier and Glacier Bay, but has one port less than Celebrity and RCI.

Is Glacier Bay worth to skip Icy Strait?

Help would be appreciated, thanks!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have been thinking the same thing! I have a cruise booked on the Millenium next year and have managed to grab an aft cabin, which I'm really looking forward to enjoying. I love X but also seem to have done more RCI cruises lately and wondered if I should change?

I suppose only I can answer that, but I will check it out on-board when I sail on Allure next month.

Alaska is a BIG one of my bucket list trips.

Edited by Deeliteful

Here you go. This is a photo review I did of my Millennium southbound cruise. As you know, Radiance does the same exact itinerary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1868304

Thanks Paul - great review. Have to stop getting excited about a cruise next year and enjoy my Allure one next month first. :D

Pat