Private Charter

BigAlexC

Hello All! I will be visiting St Thomas for the 1st time this upcoming Aug via the Carnival Liberty. I am looking at doing a private charter and have narrowed it down (tentatively) to Rumbaba or Morning Star. Both seem very similar. Has anyone enjoyed either one of these charters before? any info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hello All! I will be visiting St Thomas for the 1st time this upcoming Aug via the Carnival Liberty. I am looking at doing a private charter and have narrowed it down (tentatively) to Rumbaba or Morning Star. Both seem very similar. Has anyone enjoyed either one of these charters before? any info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

We just sailed with Rumbamba on March 24 have to say it was a great day Capt Chad & RJ make sure everything about your day is first class great guys to sail with the drinks were great the food fantastic snorkel spots were awesome even let us take the helm for some sailing time definatly was a highlight of our vacation

You definatly cant go wrong with booking there vessel

If you have any more questions Ill be happy to help you

We just sailed with Rumbamba on March 24 have to say it was a great day Capt Chad & RJ make sure everything about your day is first class great guys to sail with the drinks were great the food fantastic snorkel spots were awesome even let us take the helm for some sailing time definatly was a highlight of our vacation

You definatly cant go wrong with booking there vessel

If you have any more questions Ill be happy to help you

Thanks for the follow up Wingnut! All of the reviews I've read on various sites have been very positive. My only real questions are how much deck space was there on the boat and how was the ladder access getting on/off the boat? Again, I appreciate the follow up! I'm planning on proposing to my GF on this cruise, at this port, on a private charter... Trying to make everything as perfect as possible!

Thanks for the follow up Wingnut! All of the reviews I've read on various sites have been very positive. My only real questions are how much deck space was there on the boat and how was the ladder access getting on/off the boat? Again, I appreciate the follow up! I'm planning on proposing to my GF on this cruise, at this port, on a private charter... Trying to make everything as perfect as possible!

Plenty of deck space for lounging & enjoying the beautiful scenery & lots of space in the helm area for sitting & having the wonderfull lunch he only takes a maximum of 6 people also easy entry into & out of water we are in our mid 50 and had no problems

Good luck on your surprise engagment hope it all goes well for you. Im sure if you mention this to captain Chad he will make it a perfect day for you

Plenty of deck space for lounging & enjoying the beautiful scenery & lots of space in the helm area for sitting & having the wonderfull lunch he only takes a maximum of 6 people also easy entry into & out of water we are in our mid 50 and had no problems

Good luck on your surprise engagment hope it all goes well for you. Im sure if you mention this to captain Chad he will make it a perfect day for you

Again, much appreciated! Nothing like direct feedback from someone who has recently been there and done that!

We have done a few private charters in St. Thomas but never with one of the larger catamarans with larger groups. We have always done them with a powerboat because we have the boat and captain exclusively with our family only and the boat is able to get from place to place pretty quickly allowing us to hit more out of the way spots. Also, the Captain allows you to tailor make your day to exactly what you want it to be, which means when you're ready to move on you get to move on...no waiting on the "group" to be ready. The Captains down there are outstanding and they all know the great little spots to snorkel or have lunch or for that perfect photo op moment that you may be looking for this time around. The Captain should respond to your email inquiry pretty quickly and once they know what your looking to do, they will help you make it happen perfecftly...no doubt about it. I would highly recommend Privateer Charters (out of Sapphire Marina) or Island Wilson Excursions (Red Hook). Good luck and Congratulations!!!

Edited by tocruzagain

• 2 weeks later...
We have done a few private charters in St. Thomas but never with one of the larger catamarans with larger groups. We have always done them with a powerboat because we have the boat and captain exclusively with our family only and the boat is able to get from place to place pretty quickly allowing us to hit more out of the way spots. Also, the Captain allows you to tailor make your day to exactly what you want it to be, which means when you're ready to move on you get to move on...no waiting on the "group" to be ready. The Captains down there are outstanding and they all know the great little spots to snorkel or have lunch or for that perfect photo op moment that you may be looking for this time around. The Captain should respond to your email inquiry pretty quickly and once they know what your looking to do, they will help you make it happen perfecftly...no doubt about it. I would highly recommend Privateer Charters (out of Sapphire Marina) or Island Wilson Excursions (Red Hook). Good luck and Congratulations!!!

Tocruzagain: Thank you for taking time tr reply to this post! I've looked at the powerboat options and have found them to be almost as expensive as a private sail boat for the day, but without the inclusinve food and drinks. Although, to your point, you will be able to see/do more on a power boat as opposed to a sailboat... Stillkicking this one around but I seem to be leaning towars the sailboat.

BigAlex, August is peak hurricane season, so please get trip insurance and have a plan b. If water conditions are too rough, the small boats don't go out.

If weather isn't cooperating, I'd recommend a romantic lunch in a totally enclosed restaurant. Virgillio's in town is an option, though it's not Caribbean theme. There are other nice restaurants, but they have sea views, and if the weather isn't nice, the view will be wasted.

BigAlex, August is peak hurricane season, so please get trip insurance and have a plan b. If water conditions are too rough, the small boats don't go out.

If weather isn't cooperating, I'd recommend a romantic lunch in a totally enclosed restaurant. Virgillio's in town is an option, though it's not Caribbean theme. There are other nice restaurants, but they have sea views, and if the weather isn't nice, the view will be wasted.

Great points! I am currently looking into trip ins, for the cruise, through a 3rd party provider. The private charters also offer a no pentalty cancellation due to weather issues... Of course, this is my buggest concern. Let's say the charter doesnt work out. Can you recommend some other ideas that would work well for a surprise porposal?

We did Simplicity Charters on April 2. It was a wonderful day and would so do it again in a heartbeat. Captain Charlie takes a maximum of 6, but we just paid extra and went with one other couple so it was just the four of us. We just sailed and sailed and sailed! I would highly recommend them and Hinckley (the dog) is just adorable and so well behaved. All four of us fell in love with her! :) In fact, I think my husband would have left me there and taken Hinckley back home instead!!! :eek::eek::eek::D:)

Edited by tispwisp

We did Simplicity Charters on April 2. It was a wonderful day and would so do it again in a heartbeat. Captain Charlie takes a maximum of 6, but we just paid extra and went with one other couple so it was just the four of us. We just sailed and sailed and sailed! I would highly recommend them and Hinckley (the dog) is just adorable and so well behaved. All four of us fell in love with her! :) In fact, I think my husband would have left me there and taken Hinckley back home instead!!! :eek::eek::eek::D:)

Thanks for the follow up! Many of the review I've read online speak very favorably about Simplicity and their dog! I have already reached out to them for a quote as well. Thanks for the tip!

Hey....just wanted to share...I just got back, April 13th cruise on the Royal...and we used Jester Sailing....what a fantastic time!!! The boat was lovely and the crew really took great care of us!!!

Capt. Jim was amazing...he cooked us a great meal AND provided us with plenty of drinks and snacks!!! His Jester Juice is DELICIOUS!!!! We did a full day with him and it was just the perfect day and very reasonable! Only 6 allowed...plenty of room....but we ended up having only 3 on the boat....and NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!

I have done numerous private charters and Captain Jim and Jester Sailing is one of my favorites!!!

I have sailed with Rumbaba also and it was also a wonderful day!

You can't go wrong with either of these!!!

Hey....just wanted to share...I just got back, April 13th cruise on the Royal...and we used Jester Sailing....what a fantastic time!!! The boat was lovely and the crew really took great care of us!!!

Capt. Jim was amazing...he cooked us a great meal AND provided us with plenty of drinks and snacks!!! His Jester Juice is DELICIOUS!!!! We did a full day with him and it was just the perfect day and very reasonable! Only 6 allowed...plenty of room....but we ended up having only 3 on the boat....and NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!

I have done numerous private charters and Captain Jim and Jester Sailing is one of my favorites!!!

I have sailed with Rumbaba also and it was also a wonderful day!

You can't go wrong with either of these!!!

Great follow up! I have my choices narrowed down to Moringstar or Rumba... Still lots of time to decide. Can't say I looked in Jester so I will have to do my research on them. Thanks again!