Princess MDR/Buffet - any Southern food?

eldridchapman

Sailed on the Carnival Holiday from Mobile 5 times. First time; the grits were like soup; but on each subsequent sailing, the grits got better. On my final sailing on the Holiday, they had finally mastered it; the grits were the best I've ever had on a cruise ship! Wish we had her back!

I'm a Mississippi girl and a pretty good cook. Sorry to disappoint you, but the answer is no. There are only a few offerings that are even considered traditional southern food and (as others have noted) those are done poorly. I would truly hate for anyone to eat any of those things and think that all southern food is comparable! You'd certainly be left wondering what everyone thinks is so good about southern cooking!

No, sorry there is not.

And if anyone thinks the Bayou Cafe (while having goods steaks) represents Louisiana food then I have some property in the Everglades I would like to sell them.

Mike:)

:D This is so true! No way Bayou represents real Louisiana food ... BUT absolutely does have good steaks and is an enjoyable place to have dinner.

LuLu

~~~

Sweet iced tea is not the same as sweet tea.

I did not know that. Can you educate this transplanted Northerner? What's the difference?

I don't care for sweetened iced tea, but every time I'm with someone who orders "sweet tea," that's exactly what they get. Maybe I'm missing out on some secret ingredient you guys put into it. ;)

Edited by SeymourKopath

What are grits?! I'm from the UK and never heard of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Grits come from hominy. They are dried corn kernels ground with the hull and germ removed. They are usually boiled with water, salt and butter. Not a big fan of plain grits, but cheese grits are another story altogether. And shrimp and grits... I'm gaining weight just thinking about them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not know that. Can you educate this transplanted Northerner? What's the difference?

I don't care for sweetened iced tea, but every time I'm with someone who orders "sweet tea," that's exactly what they get. Maybe I'm missing out on some secret ingredient you guys put into it. ;)

Southern "Sweet tea" is a strong brewed tea sweetened with simple sugar syrup rather than just plain sugar. It makes a big difference.

Southern "Sweet tea" is a strong brewed tea sweetened with simple sugar syrup rather than just plain sugar. It makes a big difference.

Can almost make it onboard yourself. It takes two mugs and a cup

Packet (or 2 or 6 or 10) sugar dissolved in hot water. (Simple Syrup)

Pour over a teabag or two. Add more hot water if necessary

steep til strong

pour over a full glass of ice

Grits come from hominy. They are dried corn kernels ground with the hull and germ removed. They are usually boiled with water, salt and butter. Not a big fan of plain grits, but cheese grits are another story altogether. And shrimp and grits... I'm gaining weight just thinking about them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to go to South Carolina (specifically Charleston, where the dish originated) to get REAL "shrimp n grits". YUMMY!!!

As for the original question, this deep South guy (I'm from so far South that I was 14 years old before I knew that "damn" and "yankee" were two different words), no, there's no real Southern food available aboard any of the 4 cruise lines we have done.

I'm a Mississippi girl and a pretty good cook. Sorry to disappoint you, but the answer is no. There are only a few offerings that are even considered traditional southern food and (as others have noted) those are done poorly. I would truly hate for anyone to eat any of those things and think that all southern food is comparable! You'd certainly be left wondering what everyone thinks is so good about southern cooking!

Unfortunately, ships do an extremely poor job of cooking traditional southern food. Hate that some think that's what it really taste like. :o

LuLu

~~~~

[quote name='SeymourKopath']I did not know that. Can you educate this transplanted Northerner? What's the difference?[/QUOTE]

Sweet tea is made by heating water and making a thick
sugar-syrup (much like a mint juelip) and using that in
the tea.