To visit Iguazu Falls or not?

petlover

There is quite bit of walking involved on both sides. On the Brazilian side you take a shuttle bus from the park entrance (unless you are staying at the only hotel inside the park) and the complete circuit involves a lot of stairs and sloped paved trails. There is an elevator near the end of the road that you can take to the platform for viewing the Devil's Throat area (but it was out of service when I was there). You will get WET here though, so be warned.

On the Argentina side you take a narrow gauge railroad train from the visitors' center to the start of the paths. The train is wheelchair accessible. For the upper circuit, these are mostly level paths or bridges over the water with little slope and few stairs. It is a good 1/2 mile on the level trail from the train to the Devil's Throat area. The lower circuit (closer to the visitors' center) has many steps and sloped trails. If you have a problem with steps, you may just want to take the upper circuit trails. You cannot see the falls from the train itself, but watch for lots of lovely butterflies.

Check out the map called "Iguassu Falls" on this page for a better idea of the trails and train above:

http://www.iguassufallstour.com/main.php?run=maps

I did not take the lower loop on the Argentine side so what I am about to say carries that caveat. The difference between the Brazilian and Argentine side is pretty significant. The Brazilian side has vast panoramic views of the falls. The Argentine side gets you above the large falls in the center of Devil's Throat. This gives you a feel for the power of the falls.

• 2 months later...

Pet Lover,

From Buenos Aires you would fly into the IGR Airport from the AEP airport in Buenos Aires. It has been so long since I checked on flights, I don't remember whether Travelocity, etc. had something or not. We are going from Rio at the end of the cruise to Iguassu (IGU). But after 2 nights we return to Buenos Aires for 4 days. I can tell you that we saved over $800 per person booking through a travel agent in BA over the price Holland was giving us for the flights, Sheraton in Iguazzu. That's flights from the US, internal from RIO to IG and then from IG to Ba and then back to States. Since we are going from RIO it is more expensive than from BA. The TA was also cheaper than I could get booking through everything with American Airlines. Hint: Don't be surprised if your flights get changed with the airline "crisis." We paid a higher price to get a 2 hour layover in Dallas rather than a 6 hour layover in Miami on the return trip. That changed last week to a 6 hour layover in Dallas. Travel agent was great working with AA so now I go from Buenos Aires--Dallas--Chicago--Indianapolis. Get in 3 hours earlier in Indy and and at least changing planes rather than sitting in an airport. I am concerned, however, too that our AA flight from Miami to Santiato is very empty so far. Also the flight from Dallas is the same. Hope they don't cancel at the last minute.

Have fun planning.

Rena

Archived