RCI Gratuities

Hi,

Can anyone put us straight please?

We cruise in a couple of weeks time. Tonight my DW informs me that we need to pay gratuities. How much do we pay? Is it per person or per cabin? Does it apply to my kids? Should I pay it in advance or leave it until we get there?

(Don't know if it of any relevance in relation to exchange rates but we are on a cruise from the US on Freedom around the Eastern Caribbean)

Royal Caribbean will add $12 per person per day to yourSeaPass account for your gratuities. These gratuities are for your room steward, your waiter and assistant waiter and the head waiter in the dining room. Each drink you have other than the coffee, tea and lemonade served in the windjammer or dining room, will have an automatic gratuity of 15% added to your bill.

You can pay them in advance or you can leave them on your card.

Everyone, including children, is charged at that rate. However, if you are in a suite(Grand Suite or higher, not including junior suites), an additionsl $2.00 per person per day will be charged to your Sea Pass account.

Hi,

Can anyone put us straight please?

We cruise in a couple of weeks time. Tonight my DW informs me that we need to pay gratuities. How much do we pay? Is it per person or per cabin? Does it apply to my kids? Should I pay it in advance or leave it until we get there?

(Don't know if it of any relevance in relation to exchange rates but we are on a cruise from the US on Freedom around the Eastern Caribbean)

Sorry

Just noticed you are from uk sailing in us

Exchange rate is quite good at the moment 1.6 roughly. If you prepay will be in pounds. If you pay onboard will be in dollars. You will probably get a better rate by paying onboard. Whatever you do though, make sure you select have your bank convert the rate not let RC convert and then charge. You will lose out big time on the exchange rate otherwise.

Sorry

Just noticed you are from uk sailing in us

Exchange rate is quite good at the moment 1.6 roughly. If you prepay will be in pounds. If you pay onboard will be in dollars. You will probably get a better rate by paying onboard. Whatever you do though, make sure you select have your bank convert the rate not let RC convert and then charge. You will lose out big time on the exchange rate otherwise.

Thanks for the reply. It I'm still not clear. What do you mean about the bank converting? When does that option arise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the reply. It I'm still not clear. What do you mean about the bank converting? When does that option arise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When you are on the ship you (usually) link a credit card to your on board account for payment. This will be in US dollars. At the end they charge the amount to your card. When you checkin you will be given two options.

1) RCCL convert it before adding it to your card.

2) They charge your card in US and your bank converts it.

For us NON US people it is MUCH better to select the - let your bank do the conversion option. RC gives a hideously low exchange rate. For Aussies its usually more than 10c less than the world rate.

You also have two options for tips.

1) pay as you go - the amount is added to your sea pass each day.

2) Pre pay before you go.

I always pre-pay as its one less thing to budget for on the trip.

Both allow the option of giving extra cash if someone service has been excellent.

Hope that helps.

Raina

When you are on the ship you (usually) link a credit card to your on board account for payment. This will be in US dollars. At the end they charge the amount to your card. When you checkin you will be given two options.

1) RCCL convert it before adding it to your card.

2) They charge your card in US and your bank converts it.

For us NON US people it is MUCH better to select the - let your bank do the conversion option. RC gives a hideously low exchange rate. For Aussies its usually more than 10c less than the world rate.

You also have two options for tips.

1) pay as you go - the amount is added to your sea pass each day.

2) Pre pay before you go.

I always pre-pay as its one less thing to budget for on the trip.

Both allow the option of giving extra cash if someone service has been excellent.

Hope that helps.

Raina

Thanks for explaining - did a better job than me.

Whilst prepaying is an option if you want to get out of way b4 you sail will be done at fixed uk rate from recollection if you do onboard then will be dollars. If you log into your account you may be able to view online prepaying

Did you book through a travel agent or direct with RC?

Only reason I ask is I know a lot of uk TA's include gratuities as the package.

One other thing if you want to do my time dining as opposed to set dining you have to prepay.

Check your paperwork, if you did book with a TA it might have been included. All our cruises that we have booked with our local TA have added this in the cost.

Gaynor

Canadian Rockies cruise tour August 2013

Oasis of the Seas August 2013

Independence of the Seas August 2008