Active Excursion Ideas for Couple in 30s

tatiana0616

Hi there!

Was hoping to get some ideas and expert advice from Alaska cruisers. My husband and I are in our early 30s and going on our 1st anniversary cruise on HAL to Alaska out of Seattle on the MS Westerdam starting June 14, 2014 (stops incl Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria). We cruised HAL for our honeymoon last summer to Northern Europe and enjoyed it a lot. I have previously cruised with my parents on HAL 2 other times. This will be my second cruise to Alaska and my husband's second overall cruise and first time in Alaska.

We are looking to do some active excursions, such as fishing, glacier trekking, ocean kayaking, etc. We like "off the beaten path" type things, and were looking into booking privately. Cost isn't really an issue for us. We booked an excursion through HAL for our honeymoon and that was the one negative part of the trip. So that's why we're looking at going privately.

Any advice on very active excursions for groups of 5-8 or less or private are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there!

Was hoping to get some ideas and expert advice from Alaska cruisers. My husband and I are in our early 30s and going on our 1st anniversary cruise on HAL to Alaska out of Seattle on the MS Westerdam starting June 14, 2014 (stops incl Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria). We cruised HAL for our honeymoon last summer to Northern Europe and enjoyed it a lot. I have previously cruised with my parents on HAL 2 other times. This will be my second cruise to Alaska and my husband's second overall cruise and first time in Alaska.

We are looking to do some active excursions, such as fishing, glacier trekking, ocean kayaking, etc. We like "off the beaten path" type things, and were looking into booking privately. Cost isn't really an issue for us. We booked an excursion through HAL for our honeymoon and that was the one negative part of the trip. So that's why we're looking at going privately.

Any advice on very active excursions for groups of 5-8 or less or private are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Glacier trekking is only available out of Juneau, either with a helicopter fly in or hours long walk in. With the fly in, I only recommend the level 3, you need the time. Kayaking and fishing are excellent ouf of Ketchikan. But kayaking is available in most ports.

We were on the. Westerdam last May. On our stop at Sitka DH and I went fishing with Tad Kisaka http://www.flyfishsitka.com/Classic_Casting_Adventures/Alaska_Fly_Fishing,_Southeast_Alaska_Fly_Fishing,_Sitka_Fly_Fishing,_Sitka_Freshwater_Fishing,_Tongass,_Salmon_Fly_Fishing,_Trout_Fly_Fishing.html

We called Tad when we got on the tender, and he met us on shore where the tenders dock. He took us on his boat for a half hour ride to a beautiful remote stream where we caught Dolly Varden trout. We walked through the forest and fished in a few different places with great results. Tad furnished all the waders and gear. It was just a wonderful day away from the crowds.

The Helicopter Landing/Glacier Trek excursion in Juneau was by far our favorite excursion on our Alaska cruise. Details are in my trip report in my signature below with lots of pictures. For us, it was well worth the high price tag of almost $400 per person - truly a once in a lifetime experience!

We are doing a hike out to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, the private tour includes an ice climb and an estimated 2 hours out on the glacier. I believe though Above and Beyond Alaska (I booked this 3 months ago, as it was the one thing I HAD to do). We are very excited about this, also doing zip-lining in Skagway and more self-lead hiking in Ketchikan if we cant find a fishing trip that we like.

Will be able to give more feedback when we get back in a month.

The four hour kayak trip by Sitka sound & ocean kayak is a great active activity. There is a lot of scenery plus some open water paddles that make you sweat. Plus it's a very small group - I think six people max.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums