What is there for kids to do in the Haven common areas?

luv2sleep

I do not think this is okay. Goodness gracious!

We were on the Pearl and some kids from Down Under were in the GV and were tossing( as best as they could) the chairs from the tables into the hot tubs. Never said that I thought it was okay or that I condoned it.

Jeez Louise !

I knew what you meant ;)

Oh the entitlement ... :rolleyes:

Kind of a vague statement, please elaborate as to whom your comment is directed towards. If you are speaking of the people who believe kids should not be allowed to be kids because it infringes on their vacation, then yes I agree.

I do not think this is okay. Goodness gracious!

We were on the Pearl and some kids from Down Under were in the GV and were tossing( as best as they could) the chairs from the tables into the hot tubs. Never said that I thought it was okay or that I condoned it.

Jeez Louise !

Apologies - misread when tired - dangerous!!

:)

We're two adults and we've traveled Epic Haven for 39 days on three different cruises.

Behavior of kids was never a problem, until one week of a b-2-b brought two or three sisters, their husbands, and their dozen kids. The kids took over both tubs, the pool and the side covered lounges. Loud, running, screaming, oh well. No big deal, we did other things around the ship, or (at that time deck 18 forward lounges were for Haven) went up to sun and relax there.

One afternoon, there crew of 20 was out there, and they prepared for lunch. One of the moms came over to us and said (nicely) "we're heading to eat, you guys can use the tubs now."

I dunno, sounded a bit sarcastic to me.

PS: On Epic TA, the first 12 days were blissful, then we extended the cruise on a r/t Barcelona, and it was a whole different (European) group of passengers. There had to be 50 kids running around Haven and the Concierge had to step in because they were getting to be too rambunctious.

We're two adults and we've traveled Epic Haven for 39 days on three different cruises.

Behavior of kids was never a problem, until one week of a b-2-b brought two or three sisters, their husbands, and their dozen kids. The kids took over both tubs, the pool and the side covered lounges. Loud, running, screaming, oh well. No big deal, we did other things around the ship, or (at that time deck 18 forward lounges were for Haven) went up to sun and relax there.

One afternoon, there crew of 20 was out there, and they prepared for lunch. One of the moms came over to us and said (nicely) "we're heading to eat, you guys can use the tubs now."

I dunno, sounded a bit sarcastic to me.

PS: On Epic TA, the first 12 days were blissful, then we extended the cruise on a r/t Barcelona, and it was a whole different (European) group of passengers. There had to be 50 kids running around Haven and the Concierge had to step in because they were getting to be too rambunctious.

Entitlement :rolleyes: Never ceases to amaze me how self-centered people are. The sad part is - they haven't a clue!

These are always hotly debated threads here on the NCL board. Its really a tough call for NCL. One side is NCL encourages kids to be in the Haven and Haven pool area. All of the 2 bedroom suites are located in the Haven and catered for families with kids. Of course they are going to use the Haven facilities. I never saw out of control behavior at the Haven pool. But I refer to the Haven pool as the "rich kid swimming pool." I say that because I only see kids using the pool with their pool toys, etc. Another time the hot tubs were over run with teenagers (about 8 in each tub). We really don't use the Haven pool area so none of this really bothers me because they are paying (or their parents are) and they have every right to be there.

The flip side of this argument is NCL promotes the Haven as some sort of tranquility area (or at least they once did). This is true for the Jewel class ships where only a handful of guests have access. But for the bigger ships (Epic, GA, BA) the area is much more crowded. Many "tranquil" areas on other cruise lines are adult only. So it is really a fine line NCL has walked in this area. NCL is catering to families but sometimes this can rub people the wrong way who are looking for a private and tranquil area. I don't blame the kids at all. Kids are supposed to run, scream, play, fight in a swimming pool.

Edited by david_sobe

my kiddo did homework, read, made bracelets, played quietly with a few other girls, swam, soaked, did handstands and somersaults under water, had the pool valet bring her treats from blue lagoon and was respectful of all other residents of the Haven.

i observed her all the time.

now the other three kids that were in the haven were rude, destructive, disrespectful, and over all loud.

did i let them ruin my vacation?

no i just praised my child openly on how well behaved she was being. :D

The flip side of this argument is NCL promotes the Haven as some sort of tranquility area (or at least they once did).

Kids are supposed to run, scream, play, fight in a swimming pool.

NCL still promotes the Haven as relaxing paradise.

http://www.thehaven-ncl.co.uk/experience/#overview

Step outside your residence and you'll enter a secluded Courtyard where you can spend your sea days relaxing, dining and enjoying exquisite privacy. We call it The Haven by Norwegian. You'll call it pure paradise.

There are no room for rude kids in Paradise........:rolleyes:

Kids are supposed to run carefully, play and have å lot of fun only in a swimming pool for kids.

Kids are not supposed to do that in tiny pools as that in the Haven...

We'll be cruising in the Haven two-bedroom suite on the Breakaway in June. Our son is 16, and our daughter is 10. One of the big reasons we opted for the Haven is because of the courtyard. Yes, the pool is small, but it's not THAT much smaller than the main pool that serves thousands more people. We've never been able to get a chair near the pool of the main pool. Our daughter doesn't like to get bumped into by people in the pool or splashed non-stop. She also doesn't like the loud, loud music that's sometimes playing there. Our door is literally steps away from the courtyard, so that's a major plus for us too!

Those threads are always a good opportunity for some to announce how well behaved their own kids are and of course how awesome their own parenting is or has been. All those other disturbing, rude, disrespectful families that overrun the haven area are coming from a parallel universe and they are never part of the board here. We are the good ones :)

Too funny! Clearly non of those parents are on CC. Really???

Also, the definition of the term "entitled" (which so many on this forum throw around as if it's a bad thing):

Belief that one is deserving of certain privileges

Ex. If I pay to stay in the Haven, my child is entitled to play in the Haven pool. Sounds about right to me.

Kind of a vague statement, please elaborate as to whom your comment is directed towards. If you are speaking of the people who believe kids should not be allowed to be kids because it infringes on their vacation, then yes I agree.

Yes, if that's what was meant then I agree too, wholeheartedly!!!!

Ex. If I pay to stay in the Haven, my child is entitled to play in the Haven pool. Sounds about right to me.

And if I pay to stay in the Haven, my child is entitled to scream like a banshee and run around at the peril of others and cannonball into the hot tubs because my child is a child and that's what children are supposed to do.

Sounds about wrong to me.

When the parents aren't around and kids are being unruly, I just assume that means the parents left ME in charge. I have a bad habit of correcting and hollering at other people's kids when the parents aren't there to supervise. I feel like it's my duty.

"Watch your mouth!"

"Hold it down! You're not the only person here."

"Get down from there. You aren't supposed to do that."

"Don't eat that!"

"If I have to tell you again...!" :D

+1. Exactly my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there,

If your son is quiet, likes to play video games, and gets anxious he might actually be the perfect child for the Haven area... Bring his favorite handheld games and headphones. He might appreciate the peacefulness of the Haven vs. the loud chaos of the open decks.

I agree 100%. My Aspergers son would LOVE the haven...hanging out and reading or playing hand-held games, nice and quiet (hopefully). He doesn't do well with loud noises and crowds. Even at 19 and with all of his coping mechanisms, we often find him in the room relaxing away from it all.

Edited by sdmike

If the kids are playing a game like Marco Polo and just being kids. Not destroying anything, jumping in pool and splashing people on purpose etc.. Then there should be no reason anyone should be getting mad. If you can't be around kids at all and want an exclusive Adult only experience then maybe try the Spa or Vibe. I know my two daughters 10 & 18 will be taking full advantage of the Haven. However I know they are well behaved.

We were on Breakaway March 9, which was Ontario spring break and the ship was filled with children. Many of there children were also in Haven suites. There was a huge clash between those with families and young children, and those who expected the Haven to be "tranquil". I personally spoke with the AHD who assured me our family, including children, were welcome in the Haven. She directed the concierge to tell people wanting an adult only experience to Vibe.

I too agree NCL has a marketing dilemma, as many do not equate children of any form with tranquility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on Breakaway March 9' date=' which was Ontario spring break and the ship was filled with children. Many of there children were also in Haven suites. There was a huge clash between those with families and young children, and those who expected the Haven to be "tranquil". I personally spoke with the AHD who assured me our family, including children, were welcome in the Haven. She directed the concierge to tell people wanting an adult only experience to Vibe.

I too agree NCL has a marketing dilemma, as many do not equate children of any form with tranquility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Maybe they should throw in free acess to Vibe for adult Haven guests until they end this tranquility-marketing, then.