EQUINOX - 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean - Picture Trip Report 3/14/14...

FRMPEI

Stateroom TV and HDMI

I have a reply to "hooking things up to TV's" here is a link to those instructions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37957332&highlight=tv#post37957332

Equinox is different from Silhouette. Equinox uses a DVI cable to hook their TV channels up while Silhouette uses a HDMI.

As you can tell from the picture below I was able to hook my iPad up to the TV. The HDMi cable from iPad's 30 pin adapter is hooking into the Side of the TV not the back, which is different to the Silhouette. I actually only used it this one during the cruise. We watched our 2010 Equinox slideshow while getting ready for first formal night. Or in our first Formal/Casual night.

CE14HX_%25200284-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Sorry folks I am not going to be able to finish day 2 tonight. It has been a long stormy day here on PEI. Besides I have the season finale of "The Walking Dead" to watch.

Please be patient and keep with me.

Please post comments or questions.

Thanks!

Kevin Reid

Sorry folks I am not going to be able to finish day 2 tonight. It has been a long stormy day here on PEI. Besides I have the season finale of "The Walking Dead" to watch.

Please be patient and keep with me.

Please post comments or questions.

Thanks!

Kevin Reid

Another Walking Dead fan here!!! :D

Loving the trip report and pictures. We are doing the 11 night Panama/Central America on the Equinox in December.

Another Walking Dead fan here!!! :D

Loving the trip report and pictures. We are doing the 11 night Panama/Central America on the Equinox in December.

Thanks for the comment. The 11 day is high on our priority list for Mar 2015. There are few ports on that one that we have not seen yet!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I am back folks. I must apologize for not finishing last night. But, this weather had me in such a down funk last evening. When I left work yesterday I didn't even know if I was going to make it home because our road had completely blown in but, fortunately they had the blown in parts open to one lane. Then my driveway completely filled in with snow. Today is a new beautiful sunny today and I am over my funk so lets get back to the Trip Report.

First Formal and First Evening in Blu

On all of our past cruises I have always packed my black suit shirts and ties. But this trip we decided that there would be no suits packed for the men. Why? Mainly because of Cruise Critic and discussion around here how it was okay be "smart" casual in the specialties on Formal nights. Did I miss the suits ... Not really. Prior to leaving our room I put the camera on the Joby tripod and took a few self timer photos. Notice my hand in my pocket I have learnt to do that from the photographers on board. Looks professional. LOL!

CE14HX_%25200288-XL.jpg

Donna and I actually enjoy the photographers on Formal nigh and always buy some sort of photo package. It is a great excuse to get some nice pictures. If you do photo books (i.e.: Apple iPhoto Books) you have some good content to use. So here is the purchased version from the first formal night. I like how on Equinox they are still able to take your photo on the main Foyer stairs while on the seven day cruises the stairs is so busy and occupied by "the party band" and dancers that they don't allow/or make it difficult for them to use them.

CE2014_FN1_Stairs-XL.jpg

Cheap-o Alert if your are so darn cheap and don't want to purchase the photos there is a really bad alternative. I do this more as a joke because it reminds me something that my father would have done and then he would pay to have it printed and framed at home. Actually this method creates a really crappy picture. Be warned here it is. Pull up your pictures on the TV and snap a picture of it. I know TERRIBLE. But probably okay for you cheapskates out there.

CE14HX_%25202712-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hit the Post button rather than preview button.

Edited by FRMPEI

First Evening in Blu & Aguna

CE14GW_%25200855-XL.jpg

Blu is such a beautiful venue with its large Panoramic view and its always excellent attentative staff. One of the things that we really liked about Blu was how the staff had that little extra time to chat with you as opposed to the MDR. People generally LOVE Blu and sometimes the main reason why they book Aqua Class. Then there are a few people who have tried Blu and say it is not for them or they prefer MDR. So which one are we? I will not come right out and say yet but, I think you will be able to figure it out. Our table was facing the far wall and our waiter was Aguna. Aguna has got to be the most personable and naturally funny waiter they we ever had while cruising. He had a quick wit and was always happy, joking, and smiling. He had a great line that I remember. Ken asked Aguna if they had "mint Jelly" for the Lamb. Agung responded, "Yes, Sir. But, we normally run out". Ken asked, "Why?" Agung replied in serious tone, " The staff like to use the mint Jelly in their Hair and we run out." I laughed at that one and Aguna continually was able to give similar one liners. I told him that maybe he should be at the comedy show rather than in Blu. My friends that is MODERN LUXURY in places least expected. For the record Ken did not order the Lamb.

CE14HX_%25200298-XL.jpg

Both Donna and I started with the french onion soup. Donna picked one of the featured Blu entrees while I picked the Steak from the favourites section. First Hint here if Blu is for us. None of the Blu Entrees Soups or Salads really appealed to me or Donna. The food quality was good and served hot. Notice how i said hot because that topic will come up on Day 03. Our first night at Blu was very enjoyable.

CE14HX_%25200302-XL.jpg

CE14GW_%25200859-XL.jpg

The second night at the Theatre was the Captains welcome toast and the live production show Limelight. I am pretty sure we saw this same show in 2010. That is the down side if you sail the same ship the production shows usually run for about five years. How do I know that. Because that is what we were they told last year on Silhouette's behind the scenes tour. The theatre was a FULL house for the show.

CE14HX_%25200309-XL.jpg

CE14HX_%25200307-XL.jpg

Reagrds,

Kevin Reid

The Turn Down and Frogs

The first thing I do when I return to the stateroom after diner is, you guessed it, I take a picture of the Bed with the next day's treasures laid out. Donna knows the drill and would not dare wrinkle MY Celebrity Today. A few cruise ago a comedian said this joke... "I got up in the middle of night to use the bathroom and and when I came back my bed was turned down and chocolates were left on the pillow". The Captain used this same joke during his toast.

CE14HX_%25200312-XL.jpg

Who says Carnival is only line that does towel animals?

CE14HX_%25200319-XL.jpg

Before we retired for the evening we snuck down to Cafe al Bacio for some sweets.

CE14HX_%25200327-XL.jpg

There you have it Day 02 is finally over next up of course Day 03 which will include our Roll Call's Slot Pull and our disappointment in Blu and remedy.

Please add your comments and questions. I want to make sure I am not just talking to myself.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Great review, love your pictures and writing style !

We sympathize with you for the weather, we are in Quebec and we still have tons of snow!

I was amused when you said you don't care for seafood has we have been to PEI many times, specifically to eat oysters, mussels and lobster !:)

Great review, love your pictures and writing style !

We sympathize with you for the weather, we are in Quebec and we still have tons of snow!

I was amused when you said you don't care for seafood has we have been to PEI many times, specifically to eat oysters, mussels and lobster !:)

i know that sounds funny that we both don't like seafood. I will eat fish and chips as long as I don't know what did kind of fish is being battered and fried.:)

Thanks for the comment.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks for the trip report. It's been a fun preview of our cruise that leaves on Friday! Last trip for Equinox in the Caribbean for the season!

Thanks for your comment.

We Love Mason, Ohio. As you know the home of King's Island. Long Live The Beast.

Our last trip to King's Island was 2003.

151_5199-XL.jpg

Reagrds

Kevin Reid

Celebrity Today Day 3 Sunday March 16, 2014

Page 1

CT_Day03_031614_1-XL.jpg

Page 2

CT_Day03_031614_2-XL.jpg

Page 3

CT_Day03_031614_3-XL.jpg

Page 4

CT_Day03_031614_4-XL.jpg

Featured Today (front)

CT_Day03_031614_FT1-XL.jpg

Featured Today (back)

CT_Day03_031614_FT2-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Keep the Comments Coming

Thanks for such a wonderful and detailed review! Looking forward to more!

Qs: what is your guess on the average age for your sailing? Was it similar to your last experience on equinox? I do wonder if the beverage perk (or other factors) have changed the demographic since your last sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Still following along. :D

If I had to guess I'd say you enjoyed the look of Blu, the service in Blu, the "smart casual" dress of Blu but it's not really for you because of the food. But that's just my guess.....

Did you find that the pastries offered in Cafe al Bacio changed through the week or were they pretty much the same everyday? Cruising on Disney, their coffee shop used to have really wonderful treats but I found them very different on the Disney Fantasy - very generic, everything from a mix, cheap ingredients - and not really worth the calories. How were the pastries at Cafe al Bacio?

Edited by meatloafsfan

Kevin, This is one of the most brilliant reviews I've read. Celebrity Cruises ought to PAY you for this review because the review makes me want to book a cruise RIGHT NOW! Can't wait to read more!

Thanks for such a wonderful and detailed review! Looking forward to more!

Qs: what is your guess on the average age for your sailing? Was it similar to your last experience on equinox? I do wonder if the beverage perk (or other factors) have changed the demographic since your last sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a few minutes here at lunch to look at the comments. thanks for the Comments and questions.

Age Demographic in my opinion might be slightly younger than 2010. Now with a Cruise longer than 7 days I think the average/median age jumps by at least 10-15 years. I am 53 years old I felt that we were probably slightly below the average age. Ken our travel partner is in his early 70's and I joked with him before the cruise saying that this cruise will more in his age range.

This next comment is not a joke but, I did find that there was less competition this year on dodging the power scooters than 2010 (I don't mean power wheel chairs). There were very few children on this cruise maybe less than 50.

I think the beverage package is more attractive to the drinkers on the seven day cruises were they might take Celebrity over a competitor. Just my opinion though.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Stay for more the ports day have not even started.

Still following along. :D

If I had to guess I'd say you enjoyed the look of Blu, the service in Blu, the "smart casual" dress of Blu but it's not really for you because of the food. But that's just my guess.....

Now that would be getting a head of the Trip Report but, you are on the correct and right track. I will be definitely be expanding on my Blu opinion

Did you find that the pastries offered in Cafe al Bacio changed through the week or were they pretty much the same everyday? Cruising on Disney, their coffee shop used to have really wonderful treats but I found them very different on the Disney Fantasy - very generic, everything from a mix, cheap ingredients - and not really worth the calories. How were the pastries at Cafe al Bacio?

That is a good question I do think they did have some variety through out the cruise. That Café is one busy place and the staff there see very few dull moments. I really didn't indulge too much in Café al Bacio treats.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks for taking the time to comment

Kevin, This is one of the most brilliant reviews I've read. Celebrity Cruises ought to PAY you for this review because the review makes me want to book a cruise RIGHT NOW! Can't wait to read more!

Thanks you are too Kind. (please keep the praises coming):D

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I must say I agree, a great review and fantastic photo's, can't wait to get onboard in November, 1st with Celebrity, your review has got me even more excited thank you Kevin

Celebrity Equinox and her crew are GREAT. November will here sooner than we think. While I write the review Donna is already doing the research on her MacBook pro for the next one and the 11 day March 2015 Equinox is getting most of our attention.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks for the comment. Keep reading tons more photos coming.

I have a few minutes here at lunch to look at the comments. thanks for the Comments and questions.

Age Demographic in my opinion might be slightly younger than 2010. Now with a Cruise longer than 7 days I think the average/median age jumps by at least 10-15 years. I am 53 years old I felt that we were probably slightly below the average age. Ken our travel partner is in his early 70's and I joked with him before the cruise saying that this cruise will more in his age range.

This next comment is not a joke but, I did find that there was less competition this year on dodging the power scooters than 2010 (I don't mean power wheel chairs). There were very few children on this cruise maybe less than 50.

I think the beverage package is more attractive to the drinkers on the seven day cruises were they might take Celebrity over a competitor. Just my opinion though.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Stay for more the ports day have not even started.

We are a 'young' mid 50's couple. We have been rethinking our 11 day cruise on the Equinox because of the age demographics of a longer cruise. My TA said to expect average 10-15 years older on the longer cruises. On the other hand, we like the idea of few kids. That being said, I am looking at some 7-9 day cruises.

Excellent review and photos!!!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app