EQUINOX - 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean - Picture Trip Report 3/14/14...

FRMPEI

To dancin85. We are at the airport as I write this. We are on the equinox tomorrow and we are young mid 50s. I wondered the same thing but from our roll call it seems we have an active group in their 50s. I'll let you know when we return.

We are a 'young' mid 50's couple. We have been rethinking our 11 day cruise on the Equinox because of the age demographics of a longer cruise. My TA said to expect average 10-15 years older on the longer cruises. On the other hand, we like the idea of few kids. That being said, I am looking at some 7-9 day cruises.

Excellent review and photos!!!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

We are on the 11 day 2 weeks before you, I am 60 and the wifester is 57. We have 3 couples from our Reflection sailing all closer to late 40 ties early 50 ties. Then we do have around 15 of us so far that just hit the big 60.

Celebrity is young compared to our sailing on the Ruby Princess in 2012. The motorized scotters were lined up out side the MDR like Harleys in Sturgess for a rally!:D

ps: Kevin feel free to post all the shots of every little nook an crannie of the Equinox you have!

Thanks again,

EW

Edited by wallie5446

Still following along. :D

Did you find that the pastries offered in Cafe al Bacio changed through the week or were they pretty much the same everyday? Cruising on Disney, their coffee shop used to have really wonderful treats but I found them very different on the Disney Fantasy - very generic, everything from a mix, cheap ingredients - and not really worth the calories. How were the pastries at Cafe al Bacio?

We were on this cruise with Kevin and enjoyed some of the treats from Café Bacio, one thing you don't want to miss is their Lemon Meringue Pie! Yum!!:p There are several "standby" options that are available each day; black & white and other cookies, fruit tarts, cake by the slice, something chocolate, etc... The cakes and pies seem to rotate, which reminds me of another favorite, the carrot cake. The only thing I tried at Café al Bacio that I did not care for was their mini-tiramisu, it was all cream and no lady finger other than that everything else was good to great imho. :)

To dancin85. We are at the airport as I write this. We are on the equinox tomorrow and we are young mid 50s. I wondered the same thing but from our roll call it seems we have an active group in their 50s. I'll let you know when we return.

Have a great time on your cruise tomorrow. Be sure to attend the meet and greet.

We are on the 11 day 2 weeks before you, I am 60 and the wifester is 57. We have 3 couples from our Reflection sailing all closer to late 40 ties early 50 ties. Then we do have around 15 of us so far that just hit the big 60.

Celebrity is young compared to our sailing on the Ruby Princess in 2012. The motorized scotters were lined up out side the MDR like Harleys in Sturgess for a rally!:D

ps: Kevin feel free to post all the shots of every little nook an crannie of the Equinox you have!

Thanks again,

EW

Don't even let the age thing bother you one bit by sound of it I am sure you won't.

I may have to dig into my 2010 photos for the nooks.:p

We are a 'young' mid 50's couple. We have been rethinking our 11 day cruise on the Equinox because of the age demographics of a longer cruise. My TA said to expect average 10-15 years older on the longer cruises. On the other hand, we like the idea of few kids. That being said, I am looking at some 7-9 day cruises.

Excellent review and photos!!!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Don't even give that a second thought stick with your 11 day and Equinox. The 11 day is at the top of our list for next year.

So Glad you are enjoying the "Trip Report".

Regards,

Kevin Reid

We were on this cruise with Kevin and enjoyed some of the treats from Café Bacio, one thing you don't want to miss is their Lemon Meringue Pie! Yum!!:p There are several "standby" options that are available each day; black & white and other cookies, fruit tarts, cake by the slice, something chocolate, etc... The cakes and pies seem to rotate, which reminds me of another favorite, the carrot cake. The only thing I tried at Café al Bacio that I did not care for was their mini-tiramisu, it was all cream and no lady finger other than that everything else was good to great imho. :)

Lemon Meringue is one of my favourite desserts. I seen it there one day but I find their lemon a little to custardy and skipped it.

So how did you like your featured Elevator cameo? :eek:

Regards,

Kevin Reid

A Sunrise to Start the Day

Sunrise was at 6:46AM as per the Celebrity Today so I was up on the deck to catch the sunrise. This was the start of another fantastic vacation day aboard the beautiful Celebrity Equinox. This morning I videoed the sunrise with my GoPro. Also took my iPhone up with me so I could preview what and where I was shooting. The Gopro does not not ship with a LCD screen. The optional one is pretty hard on Battery.

CE14iK_%25200002-XL.jpg

This is my favourite spot for taping the sunrise just at the top of stairs on Deck 15. The stairs right beside Oceanview.

CE14HX_%25200348-XL.jpg

The wifi range for the GoPro to iPhone is good but not great. My GoPro wifi was named "EquinoxGO" but is was secured. You can completely control your GoPro from the App.

CE14HX_%25200354-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Blu Breakfast & Ensemble Men's Washroom Warning

After the sunrise we meet down at Blu for breakfast at 8:15 AM this seemed to be "our normal" time that we showed up there. Like always greeted by the very pleasant Host. I took some picture of the breakfast menu which does not change during the cruise.

Left Side

CE14HX_%25200363-XL.jpg

Right Side

CE14HX_%25200361-XL.jpg

We spent our entire cruise either eating in Blu or the Specialty Dinning and of course you must want to know where the closet washrooms are. Right? In my part of Canada we call them washroom while some of my American friends in the mid west call them restrooms. The Ensemble lounge is the closest. The men's is closer than the women's when exiting from specialty area. The women's washrooms do not have all the "saying" posted on their walls like the men. (at least that is what Donna told me... I did not check). The next picture is my favourite "quote" of all the washrooms on all the "S" ships I have been on. FYI women they are above the urinals. Isn't that a great one?

CE14HX_%25200372-XL.jpg

The washrooms are always so clean and never have those darn hand dryers. I hate hand dryers. Just the little things like those hand towels make Celebrity Number 1 in my books. The washroom sinks have such ultra modern design. I took a closer look to see how they bent the glass. It appears that the glass is the same as your car's windshield ... Safety Glass. Two pieces of glass lamented together between a layer of clear plastic. If it got broken it would do the same as your car and stay together unlike tempered glass which explodes into hundreds of pieces.

CE14HX_%25200373-XL.jpg

Men now for your warning as promised. The washroom has two urinal so only use the second one and not the first one or your private parts will be on display to people outside of the washroom when door is open. There is a divider between urinal one and two but none for the first one and the one toilet. The problem is as soon as that door opens for the men to enter or exit you will be completely exposed with your business in your hand to the people walking out of the speciality area. Just telling it like it is folks and trying save you from future embarrassment. I not sure if Celebrity know about this problem but, when the washroom attendant is in their he was always quick to get the door closed. Sorry no Pictures.:D

Regards,

Kevin Reid

More great stuff, Kevin. :cool:

I keep going back and forth in my mind about buying a GoPro. I really want one, but just can't pull the trigger because of the price.

Hi Mark,

The price of the camera is quite reasonable when you compare to other ones. It is all those darn accessories that you think you need, If you are going to get one make sure to get one that has the WIFI option just because of the smart phone app feature.

Price comparison my SONY flip out LCD Screen was like $700+ Christmas 2012 and the Go Pro Black edition is Less than $400. The GoPro is just so darn versatile I am going to love it even more this summer. So go ahead you have my permission go get yourself a GoPro. Just send Beth to me. :cool:

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying your report. Thank you for posting.

Thanks for your comment. As a fellow Canadian is it "Washroom" or "Restroom".

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I have always called it a restroom. :) A fair number of public buildings here in the South, USA (at least) call them Restrooms too on schematics, etc.

On another note, if you had to limit yourself to one video/one camera/one tripod, what would you choose from your collection including the underwater requirement

Edited by shipshape sam

Thanks for your comment. As a fellow Canadian is it "Washroom" or "Restroom".

Regards,

Kevin Reid

It's "washroom" here in Canada but there's been a few times in the US where I've had to restate or ask for the restroom or bathroom (even in New York state which is so close you'd think they'd be familiar with our idiosyncrasies).

Hi Mark,

The price of the camera is quite reasonable when you compare to other ones. It is all those darn accessories that you think you need, If you are going to get one make sure to get one that has the WIFI option just because of the smart phone app feature.

Price comparison my SONY flip out LCD Screen was like $700+ Christmas 2012 and the Go Pro Black edition is Less than $400. The GoPro is just so darn versatile I am going to love it even more this summer. So go ahead you have my permission go get yourself a GoPro. Just send Beth to me. :cool:

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hey Kevin.... I gave Mark permission to purchase one in St. Kitts and he didn't. I know one day he will. Mark has so many toys. :D Your review is awesome. Can't wait to read more! Let us know which 11 day cruise date you select. We cruised the Panama Canal in 2009 with both sets of parents and loved Costa Rica. Keep up the good work!!

Sending Sunny Florida Smiles... Beth

It's "washroom" here in Canada but there's been a few times in the US where I've had to restate or ask for the restroom or bathroom (even in New York state which is so close you'd think they'd be familiar with our idiosyncrasies).

I knew somebody was going to agree with me on this. One of the first times we were at King's Island in Ohio we used the term "Washroom" and they looked at us strangely then my friend from Louisville you mean "restroom".

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I have always called it a restroom. :) A fair number of public buildings here in the South, USA (at least) call them Restrooms too on schematics, etc.

On another note, if you had to limit yourself to one video/one camera/one tripod, what would you choose from your collection including the underwater requirement

That is a good question one I had to think about. If I was Forced to limit myself to one I would choose my Sony HDR-GW77 with the flip out screen and pistol grip. Why? Takes excellent photos along with video and also shock and waterproof. I would also take along my Joby Gorilla Pod with the swivel head.

Thanks for the Question.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hey Kevin.... I gave Mark permission to purchase one in St. Kitts and he didn't. I know one day he will. Mark has so many toys. :D Your review is awesome. Can't wait to read more! Let us know which 11 day cruise date you select. We cruised the Panama Canal in 2009 with both sets of parents and loved Costa Rica. Keep up the good work!!

Sending Sunny Florida Smiles... Beth

Hi Beth,

Probably good thing he didn't but it there because I think you could get either the same price or cheaper back home.

Donna and I are giving serious consideration for the March 16, 2015 11 day Equinox. We are even thinking if we can do it is combine the 11 day with a B2B 10 day Equinox... Three weeks on Equinox would be sweet. We would really love if our two sons could come with us next year. Problem... Son # one is in Halifax and poor and Son # two would not want to go at that time of the year because he would not want to miss any Quebec Major Junior Charlottetown Islanders Hockey Games.

Thanks for your kind continued comments.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Enjoying your report. I love the Equinox!!

Why thank you. Please keep following. I Like your "elite" icon I guess I could add one of those to my signature now.:D

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Celebrity Life Activities

Ensemble Lounge

CE14HX_%25200375-XL.jpg

Deck Five Bistro on Five

CE14HX_%25200408-XL.jpg

I just love sea days you can be a busy as you want to be. Back in 2010 I attended a Digital Camera seminar which at the time was quite good. I suggested to Ken that we should should attend at 10:00 AM. It was held in the Photo Gallery the instructor was quite good and offered his opinion and experience. I guess he normally hold this in Celebrity Central but not available today. The Photo Gallery was quite cramped and noticed quite of few people turning away because all the seats were gone.

CE14HX_%25200381-XL.jpg

Now at 11:45 there was a walk for breast cancer and Ken & I happen to be on deck 14 looking for our wives. Then we hear this noise behind us and it is a Leprechaun in a power cart. Yes an Irish Thing in a power cart and he/she was kicking butt on the walking track so we step aside to let "it" by. Then we hear "Excuse Me, Coming By" and almost get run over and give us "huffs" as a group of ladies doing the breast cancer walk try to get by. Sorry Ladies I am 100% for the cause but at 11:45 AM walkers/joggers do not have exclusive right to the track. It is a common area space literally hundreds of people sharing it. If you want exclusive track time then get up with me at sunrise and you will have no problem.

CE14GP_%25200023-XL.jpg

So after avoiding get run over by a Leprechaun and dodging lady walkers we took the second offered iLounge Class - "OS The best Camera Ever" at 12:30 PM in Celebrity Central. So why is the iPhone 5 the best Camera simply because it is the one that you most likely to have with you when want to snap a pic. Make sense to me and that is what Richard the instructor said. He gave some good tips and offered his opinion on good photo Apps and showed us some gizmos that he had. There was one trick I did learn from Richard and that was how to get the same person in a Panographic picture in it twice. Rather simple and works quite nice on the iPhone.

CE14iK_%25200005-XL.jpg

Next photo was my first attempt at capturing Ken twice in the same pic. This was not my iPhone but rather my Sony Camera. Yes Ken is there twice on the far left and right.

CE14HX_%25200410-XL.jpg

My God it has been hours since we last ate.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Afternoon Wandering and Pedicures

Aft Deck 14 Oceanview a very nice place to sit outside and eat lunch.

CE14HX_%25200387-XL.jpg

Back from lunch and chilling on balcony.

CE14HX_%25200392-XL.jpg

Last year on second end of B2B Donna got a manicure and pedicure on embarkation day. She was quite happy with the results. So this year she went back and booked a pedicure and very happy again with the results.

CE2014_Env_Spa-XL.jpg

Elevator group Selfies before the women run off to the Spa.

CE14HX_%25200403-XL.jpg

So during the afternoon I wandered with my camera. Stereo Girls playing in Main Foyer. We never really stopped to listen to this duo even though they seemed to be playing Ensemble Lounge every evening we were exiting Blu.

CE14HX_%25200407-XL.jpg

Cafe al Bacio a very busy busy counter. These staff earn extra kudos from me always on the go serving up hot and cold drinks.

CE14HX_%25200416-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

More Wandering and Solarium

Yeah! I know you could of made this too!

CE14HX_%25200428-XL.jpg

We love taking our picture at this same spot on all of the "S" ships. Different art works in the background.

CE14HX_%25200424-XL.jpg

Donna liked this so much she bought one before the end of the cruise.

CE14HX_%25200432-XL.jpg

Now this will be a first for Kevin. With this Irish skin thing not too big on exposing this white canvas to the sun. On all of cruises I never once stepped foot in a indoor or outdoor pool. I went for the fist time a dip in the Solarium, we went around 5:00 PM not many people around.

CE14HX_%25200433-XL.jpg

Put the backdoor Floaty on the Go Pro and took in the water with us. Took both pictures and video with it. Next photo is from the Go Pro.

CE14GP_%25200032-XL.jpg

Up Next Blu Dining and...

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Blu & Turning a Negative into Exceptional Customer Service

So after the solarium we got showered and dressed for an evening at Blu. We would be in no rush this evening because Donna & I had no intention of going to the Equinox Theatre to see the Lindsay Hamilton Show. I now there is a HUGE Lindsay Hamilton following and maybe some reading this Trip Report but, she is just not our type of entertainment that we enjoy. Yes! we did give her a try on Solstice back in 2012. Sorry Lindsay can't please everybody.

CE14HX_%25200176-XL.jpg

Upon entry to Blu once again greeted by the lovely Hostess. We all wanted to try a different table not because of the waiter but because of location there was a different table available and the host graciously sat us there...

CE14HX_%25200450-XL.jpg

Our new waiter was Donovan from Jamaica and Asst from India sorry don't remember name. I actually remembered Donovan from Equinox 2010 who we had for just one evening in the MDR. So Donna and I both don't like fish and to be honest it was hard to find things on Blu that appealed to us. But, we wanted to remain positive and was willing to continue giving Blu a chance. Tonight's Blu entree menu below:

CE14HX_%25200437-XL.jpg

I ordered the Cabernet Braised Short Ribs while Donna ordered Roasted Airline Chicken Breast. I started with the french onion soup. This is where things started to go down hill. Now the night before the soup was HOT and tonight just luke warm. I didn't say or make any comments about my cold soup to anyone else at the table. When the entrees came it was the same thing for all the food it was just luke warm. It was then that we all said, " my food is cold" and then all said, "Yes! and my soup was also cold". Now us Canadians don't generally complain but when asked by our asst waiter how things were we had to give him the correct feedback. He was very concerned over our feedback and promptly had Donovan at our table. We explained to Donovan that we did want to come across as complainers but rather as feedback on our meal. Donovan was very concerned and apologized. Then within 4 minutes Donovan, Asst Waiter, Hostess, Head Chef of Specialties returned to our table side with a sincere ear. Because of my later galley tour I realized that the chef at our table was the the Head Chef for Specialties. OMG! they couldn't be more accommodating they apologized and pleaded that they give Blu a second chance. The Chef said we will make sure your food comes out HOT. For us we were so impressed by the exceptional customer service that Celebrity showed to us. In our opinion Celebrity will bend over backwards to supply that top notch customer service. It was at this time that the Chef also showed Donna the MDR menus and said, "Anything that is on the MDR menu we can also get for you here in Blu." Then we had to tell them we would be not back tomorrow because we had reservations in Murano.

We finished of the evening with delicious desserts. I fell in love with the plain old chocolate cake and green tea.

CE14HX_%25200448-XL.jpg

Kudos to Celebrity staff for turning our negative to a big positive Guest Experience.

CE14HX_%25200451-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

First Port Day - Celebrity Today

Page 1

CT_Day04_031714_1-XL.jpg

Page 2

CT_Day04_031714_2-XL.jpg

Page 3

CT_Day04_031714_2-XL.jpg

Page 4

CT_Day04_031714_4-XL.jpg

St Patty Day Crawl

CT_Day04_031714_StPat-XL.jpg

Lots of Great Pictures Coming up from USVI Stay tuned.

Please post your comments & Questions.

Regards,

Kevin Reid