Are Neptune suites worth it?

cricri7

First let me say this thread has been very helpful. Last November my wife and I celebrated a delayed honeymoon/anniversary with a Seabourn cruise in the Mediterranean. Suffice it to say it was more than special. Over the holidays I asked my 92 year old ( in good health) mother if there was somewhere she would like to go and she said without hesitation, Alaska. Ok, lots of options with a cruise being the best for us. We have 3 in a NS for less than than we paid for two on Seabourn on a late season cruise. It made more sense for us to have 3 in a room rather than separate room. The space seems more than ample. Has anyone used the fold-out bed? Does it need to be closed up to use the verandah? Many thanks.

Jim

We had three in a Neptune on two separate cruises (Maasdam and Volendam). On both plenty of room and easy to access the veranda. We had the primary bed arranged as two singles so that we could rotate sleeping on the sofa bed (which was fairly comfortable).

A tip - if showering gets too overcrowded at times, you can always use the showers in the Spa (for free). Works well.

DaveOKC

Can someone tell me whether being in a Neptune Suite makes any difference in getting a table for two in the dining room?

When I book a cruise on RC, I always select Anytime Dining. Then when we go to the MDR, I say we are in the ______________ Suite and prefer a table for two. We do that for 2 or three nights, then when we find a location and wait staff that we like, we reserve that table for the rest of the cruise. RC is very accommodating.

How does it work on HAL? I appreciate learning from your experience.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Can someone tell me whether being in a Neptune Suite makes any difference in getting a table for two in the dining room?

When I book a cruise on RC, I always select Anytime Dining. Then when we go to the MDR, I say we are in the ______________ Suite and prefer a table for two. We do that for 2 or three nights, then when we find a location and wait staff that we like, we reserve that table for the rest of the cruise. RC is very accommodating.

I don't know about dealing directly with the MDR, I've never tried so just don't know, but I'd suggest taking it up with the Neptune Lounge concierge. They can do lots of things for you and this may be one of them.

As for if Neptune Suites are worth it.....YES! With 20 years of booking these cabins, starting way before they were Neptune Suites or there was a Neptune Lounge, I still consider them one of the best cabins afloat. Once I downgraded us to one try a Superior Suite and once because of "sticker shock" on a particular cruise and regretted it.

I show them my "gold" room key and politely ask what I want - normally not a problem. They know the gold key is a suite and try to cater to you.

As to the original question - are the Neptune Suites worth it, my answer is "it depends". Once you get to a 4 or 5 Star level, a number of the perks are given to you anyway (VIP embarkation/tenders, free laundry, invites to the Captain's cocktail party (most of the time), so unless you get a low cost upgrade or upsell, I do not think the thousands of dollars extra you pay are "worth" it (IMO of course). However, I recently paid full fare for a special SB cabin I wanted for our partial Panama Canal cruise, and it was well worth the money to me.

So the answer is "it depends".

DaveOKC