Pre-Cruise Stay - Galveston

susieon

I have stayed at The country Inn and suites on Seawall in 2012 with shuttle. Then it was $125 now it's $250 a night. We have a cruise booked on the magic in may and book at the inn at the water park. It was $119 with the cruise package. Includes parking and shuttle.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We just stayed at Inn at the Waterpark. Decent hotel, clean. The staff worked with us and was able to keep us informed (when we called) about the delay (we were on the Magic cruise that was delayed by the oil spill).

The shuttle was, in our opinion, poorly run. You had to sign up for a time, but they didn't make anybody adhere to it. There was just a huge mob waiting outside, and some of those people get MEAN when they want a seat! As a result, our party of 10 was split into two different groups, and we had to stand outside in 40 degree weather waiting for the remainder to be dropped off. :eek: Of course, this was during an unusual circumstance, so perhaps they generally run things better.

If you are traveling on a budget, which I always am, you may look at staying at a hotel in Southeast Houston, then just paying for parking at Park N Cruise across the street from the port for $35/$50. You might come out cheaper. The Inn at Schlitterbahn would be a great option for many dates, but some times do require 2 nights stay, & some weekends are running well over $150 after taxes. I wouldn't stay there in those cases. To save money, we have stayed at the Drury Inn by the Houston Hobby Airport 3 times, as they serve dinner there. Going further back in time, we have also stayed at Econolodge & La Quinta Inn near the beach in Galveston, which were cheap at those times. They didn't include a shuttle, but we still would come out much cheaper than places that did. Galveston beach is not that great of a beach, so you're not really missing anything if you stay somewhere closer to Houston, especially if it's just meant to be a place to sleep for the night.

But if money is no issue, then I would just say to stay at a fancy place of your choosing & pay to park at the port.

Edited by k2excursion

It will generally be much less expensive in by Hobby Airport in southeast Houston (not the best area).

Only you can make the decision on how much you wish to spend.

Galveston is a resort city and, contrary to some comments, has a great beach. Everything is subjective.

It will generally be much less expensive in by Hobby Airport in southeast Houston (not the best area).

Only you can make the decision on how much you wish to spend.

Galveston is a resort city and, contrary to some comments, has a great beach. Everything is subjective.

Well, it isn't a "great" beach compared to those on the Gulf in Florida, but it's what we've got! :p Maybe it's time to explain again why our water in the Gulf is murky - all the silt from the Mississippi River flows west.......

Well, it isn't a "great" beach compared to those on the Gulf in Florida, but it's what we've got! :p Maybe it's time to explain again why our water in the Gulf is murky - all the silt from the Mississippi River flows west.......

True.

However, most people that comment about the "dirty" water are only here for a day or two and we don't have the "fluffy" sand.

I live here, see it every day and the water is blue - green most of the time.

One can make comparisons with everything which will never meet one's standards.

Looking for a little help, please. What Hotels in Galveston would be good for a one night pre-cruise stay? Preferably any that provide a shuttle to the pier?

Thanks in advance!

No shuttle, but highly reccomend the Courtyard Marriott in Clearlake. Directly across the street from NASA. Great, new hotel. About 10 min away from Kemah Boardwalk... Great way to start your trip.

True.

However, most people that comment about the "dirty" water are only here for a day or two and we don't have the "fluffy" sand.

I live here, see it every day and the water is blue - green most of the time.

One can make comparisons with everything which will never meet one's standards.

Agree!

Gaido's Seaside Inn was 114.00 a night and its right on the beach. They do not offer a shuttle but you can leave your car there free of charge. Also, I priced taxi cabs and they are about 12.00 bucks but Ill see when I get there. Gaido's has a wonderful pool, close to attractions and has a wonderful breakfast in the morning. I wanted to stay there to feel like I got an extra day of vacation!:D

• 3 weeks later...