Failed chance on room guarantee

Boscodog

My husband and I are sailing on April 20 on the Breakaway. We booked about 2 weeks ago and decided to do a balcony guarantee in the BC category. Prices seemed to skyrocket after we booked. Someone I knew sailed on March 16 and got an upgrade to a suite so we thought we'd take a chance. We just got our cabin assignment (no upgrade but that's ok) and it is Forward (way forward - 4 rooms from front of ship) Does anyone have any experience being so forward in the ship (rocking, feeling the movement more etc). I don't mind having a long walk to staircase or elevator, and it should be pretty quiet too.

Thanks so much for any replies. Only 18 days to go!!

IF there are rougher seas you will feel it more if you are all the way fwd. Generally it's fine tho. If you're worried, monitor the available cabins in your category between now and sailing. Possibly they can relocate you.

I always do the AFT (back of ship) for five cruises and #6 in October, I felt the ship rock back there but it is O.K. for me. I never did a forward cabin (It might be like the rocking in the AFT) I would keep checking for a mid-ship or go with the forward and see what it is like! Happy sailing, love the "Breakaway"!:)

We booked a guaranty balcony last spring on a Transatlantic, we ended up with a balcony two staterooms from the front. We were not disappointed! Seas were fairly smooth with a few rough seas on and off. Would be happy with the same cabin or one just like it anytime . Can admit we were a little concerned once we had our assignment, but ended up being one of our best cruises (and cabins). We are seasoned travelers. Please do not be disappointed, I think you are in for a nice surprise:) (the best part is we had a great view coming into ports and docking).

We have had cabins in the forward section on various NCL ships, some times even right in the middle of the front - and we never have had any problems with feeling the movement of the ship there more than elsewhere. We are always on one of the upper decks, though - don't know if that means something.

We booked a guaranty balcony last spring on a Transatlantic, we ended up with a balcony two staterooms from the front. We were not disappointed! Seas were fairly smooth with a few rough seas on and off. Would be happy with the same cabin or one just like it anytime . Can admit we were a little concerned once we had our assignment, but ended up being one of our best cruises (and cabins). We are seasoned travelers. Please do not be disappointed, I think you are in for a nice surprise:) (the best part is we had a great view coming into ports and docking).

Thank you so much. I am very happy to hear your report about being very forward. We are fairly high up on the 11th floor. Can't wait to go.

We have had cabins in the forward section on various NCL ships, some times even right in the middle of the front - and we never have had any problems with feeling the movement of the ship there more than elsewhere. We are always on one of the upper decks, though - don't know if that means something.

Thanks for your response. Happy to hear that the ship felt the same in the front as elsewhere. We are on the 11th floor which I guess is considered an upper deck.

We were assigned one of those forward cabins on another ship. It's a partially obstructed hull balcony. There are sides but you still have an outside space. When the waters were calm it didn't feel any different. When the waters were rough, it was pretty awful. Then again we sailed north up the Atlantic Coast in nor-easter with 25 foot waves so the ship was slapping & landing hard.

My husband and I are sailing on April 20 on the Breakaway. We booked about 2 weeks ago and decided to do a balcony guarantee in the BC category. Prices seemed to skyrocket after we booked. Someone I knew sailed on March 16 and got an upgrade to a suite so we thought we'd take a chance. We just got our cabin assignment (no upgrade but that's ok) and it is Forward (way forward - 4 rooms from front of ship) Does anyone have any experience being so forward in the ship (rocking, feeling the movement more etc). I don't mind having a long walk to staircase or elevator, and it should be pretty quiet too.

They were upgraded from a balcony to a full suite? Are you sure it wasn't a mini-suite (not a real suite at all but really a deluxe balcony)? I suppose an upgrade to a suite does happen, but it's extremely rare. Based on what I've read, I think it happens mostly when someone has an aft balcony, which is a coveted location and easily re-bookable by NCL.

Edited by johnql

Howdy Boscodog!

We've always been at the "front" of the ship & never had cause for regret. Enjoy your cruise :)

We were on the BA last week in the most forward, top cabin on the ship and we didn't feel much movement up there even with some of the bigger waves we had. Very little side-to-side motion (almost none).

It's really going to depend on the weather and the seas.

We had a forward facing Owner's Suite once, hit a storm and the motion was so bad, it popped our balcony doors out of their tracks. We were fighting rain, and the wind that kept sucking the curtains in and out, trying to get the doors back on. We didn't call maintenance for help because we knew they were swamped (literally because parts of the ship were flooded with rain coming in the auto-open doors) and my husband and son knew how to do it themselves.

Hopefully you'll have smooth sailing!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

They were upgraded from a balcony to a full suite? Are you sure it wasn't a mini-suite (not a real suite at all but really a deluxe balcony)? I suppose an upgrade to a suite does happen, but it's extremely rare. Based on what I've read, I think it happens mostly when someone has an aft balcony, which is a coveted location and easily re-bookable by NCL.

They were upgraded to a mini suite which they said was very small for 3 people.