Car Rental in Skagway or Steam Engine Train Excursion

Ontario cruise duo

Has anyone ever rented a car in Skagway that you can recommend us to use.

I tried to book a Jeep through Green Jeep Rental last night for our June 4th day in Skagway and they are already booked solid. Should have thought of this earlier. Now I'm thinking about just renting a car and touring off on our own. Also, are there any maps/routes/stops that you can suggest. I really want to see Emerald Lake in person (because the pictures always looked so beautiful). I have read that there are only two main roads and that driving here is not difficult. All suggestions appreciated. Second choice is the train ride, but looking at the Steam Engine train as opposed to the other train. Do you know if the train takes you as far as Emerald Lake and also how long of a train ride that would be?

One poster, who had probably not even has been to Skagway- in error, wrote about "2 main roads in Skagway" It is being picked up by other posters like yourself. There is only ONE road. the Klondike Highway.

OK-

I only rent from Avis, I see no benefit in paying significantly more for a jeep.

I highly recommend Murrays Guide, available as a nominal purchase online. I feel this is "necessary" for first timers.

No the train does not take you to Emerald Lake. this is a turn around recommendation for a self drive, not a destination.

There is a Lake Bennett train that is excellent. Biggest decision is to figure out your touring priority preference. The trains are loaded with history and there are many rail fans. this is a must in those cases. Everyone is different.

Budget Queen,

A wealth of information contained in one Box. Already beat you to it, just reserved an SUV with Avis. Next purchase, Murray's Guide book, as suggested! Is the Lake Bennett train you speak of a "steam engine"?:eek:

Thanks for your help!!

There is no need for a SUV, if looking for some savings on the rental and gas. You will be paying over $5 gal. The drive is a normal, well maintained 2 lane highway.

No, the Lake Bennett train is a diesel engine.

So were the prices better with a 4x4 from Avis than the Green Jeep? I need something a little larger and with 4 doors because I will have two tall people riding in the back.

I rented a minivan from Sourdough in Skagway. The car is old but I had no issues, and its nice and clean too.

We were 5 ppl (4 adults and 1 kid). We hired a guide from Dyea Dave's. We hit Emerald Lake, Carcross, the suspension bridge, and drive all the way to the Chilkoot Trail. And we saved plenty of money by doing so :) The guide (a lady, wish I remember her name) was excellent in telling us about everything we saw on the road.

So were the prices better with a 4x4 from Avis than the Green Jeep? I need something a little larger and with 4 doors because I will have two tall people riding in the back.

The price was pretty similar, the only difference was that the Green Jeep Tour was sold out already for our date of June 4. Avis has a VAN you could rent or I believe a larger SUV. I would book it now, if even you are not sure. They don't require a deposit or anything right now, you pay for the rental when you pick it up.

I rented a car from Avis and drove to emerald lake. This was a beautiful drive. There is a cemetery in Skagway that is a good sightseeing stop and just before you leave town there is a road that overlooks the harbor, good photo stop. I would suggest stopping at one of the drive-in market type stores and getting some sandwich supplies and stopping for lunch along the way. Best I remember the drive to the lake and back, takes around 4/4.5 hrs.

Remember to take your passport. Whatever you do when crossing the border DONOT repeat DONOT get out of your car to stretch your legs. Wait until you get further down the road. You will be detained, I know from experience.