Pre Paid Gratuities

Bases5

We just returned from the Ruby 4/3/14

Just wanted to tell all the people that were asking about Pre paid gratuities on you account.

I can confirm that all the princess experts here on cruise critic were correct.

It get's added to you general account, It is not separate, even thought princess says it is.

I had a cash account with OBC and PPG and like everyone said it get's debated $23 dollars every day along with any thing else you purchase not separated.

It is posted as a separate line item but debated along with everything else

We just returned from the Ruby 4/3/14

Just wanted to tell all the people that were asking about Pre paid gratuities on you account.

I can confirm that all the princess experts here on cruise critic were correct.

It get's added to you general account, It is not separate, even thought princess says it is.

I had a cash account with OBC and PPG and like everyone said it get's debated $23 dollars every day along with any thing else you purchase not separated.

It is posted as a separate line item but debated along with everything else

Thanks for confirming.

HI,

I called princess a couple of weeks ago to have something printed out about my pre paid tips plus some cash I put down.

My paper I printed out saids Pre paid tips and the amount

OBC and the amount I put down beside the tips.

I asked about the tips since this was something I heard different things about, they said the pre paid tips are only for the tips, now perhaps they take it out daily, but they clearly said can not be used for anything but the tips, so that to be is pre paid.

I have 8 days to go, and for sure I will come back and let you all know just how it worked.

Maybe the OP just put down OBC in which case it would be used for anything.

HI,

I called princess a couple of weeks ago to have something printed out about my pre paid tips plus some cash I put down.

My paper I printed out saids Pre paid tips and the amount OBC and the amount I put down beside the tips.

I asked about the tips since this was something I heard different things about, they said the pre paid tips are only for the tips, now perhaps they take it out daily, but they clearly said can not be used for anything but the tips, so that to be is pre paid.

I have 8 days to go, and for sure I will come back and let you all know just how it worked.

You were given incorrect information. They are just plain wrong. Sorry. "Pre-paid tips" are not pre-paid... They are just generic OBC in the amount of the tips due on your cruise. Your folio will start out with a credit and anything charged to your folio will be deducted from the credit. It's that simple. You can send yourself a "gift" of OBC, do the "pre-paid tips," or put cash on your folio when you board. All the same thing. Your folio is a simple credit/debit system. OBC is not differentiated any more no matter what the source and can be used for anything charged to your folio.

Please come back and tell us how it worked. Chances are 100% that you'll say, "Yup. Just another OBC. You're charged as usual and the credit can be used for anything."

HI,

I agree with Pam. What you were told is simply wrong. I have prepaid tips a few times and the way Pam has said is the way it works.

On my last cruise, I did not prepay tips. I had a $250 shareholders OBC that I was going to use for them. The funds (the $250 OBC) were in my account at the beginning of the trip. By the time I finished, I had a balance considerably more than the amount of tips that I owed. In the end, it all boiled down to a single number that was charged to my credit card. I had the breakdown of what was spent, and in the end, the bill did not say: "Total for Tips...$XXX, total for everything else: $YYY". As I said, it was just one number.....

HI,

Princess told you wrong.

I was told the same thing when i called Princess.

I wish I had a scanner to show you my invoice..

I printed it out first thing. It looked something like this.

On board credit $50.00

On board credit $250.00

Pre Paid gratuities $57.50

Pre Paid gratuities $57.50

On board credit $100.00

At the bottom it total -$515.00

When I reprinted my invoice the next morning They took out $11.50 twice for hotel services and other drinks. and just subtracted from my total.

So the 4th morning I print out my invoice and I only had $2.42 left on my account and had 2 days left so they defiantly used my pre paid gratuities for other things.

I then went and put more cash on my account.

I was told the same thing by Princess. I have sailed other cruise lines that pre paid is pre paid but not Princess

That the only reason I came back and posted this.

You were given incorrect information. They are just plain wrong. Sorry. "Pre-paid tips" are not pre-paid... They are just generic OBC in the amount of the tips due on your cruise. Your folio will start out with a credit and anything charged to your folio will be deducted from the credit. It's that simple. You can send yourself a "gift" of OBC, do the "pre-paid tips," or put cash on your folio when you board. All the same thing. Your folio is a simple credit/debit system. OBC is not differentiated any more no matter what the source and can be used for anything charged to your folio.

Please come back and tell us how it worked. Chances are 100% that you'll say, "Yup. Just another OBC. You're charged as usual and the credit can be used for anything."

Here is what Ilovepj is talking about, a post that I did from when I cruised Ruby Princess, showing the verification for Pre-paid tips, as well as what others have confirmed, that it is lumped into all of your OBC's (the pre-paid gratuity is on the fifth line of the passenger folio invoice):

When I called Princess Cruises and asked for confirmations for the

1) Pre-paid gratuities,

2) drink package, and

3) Onboard Credit

they sent me this in an email PDF file which I printed and took with me:

(Sorry, I didn't use white out because I hold on to these as a souvenir of sorts ;))

13636903063_2838466321_c.jpg

13636903093_bf30948909_c.jpg

This is my passenger folio (you can see I'm not a big spender) showing the different kinds of OBC (pre-purchased OBC and $100 Military OBC from Princess) showing as a negative dollar amount, as well as the "pre-paid gratuities" showing as a negative dollar amount (as previously mentioned by Pam :D). All of the OBC's showed on my account by the second day. Here is a statement printed from the kiosk near Guest Services.

13637134774_474ca2cb39_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959