Delays in San Diego

tinlizzie123

We will be arriving in San Diego in May on a Panama Canal cruise, are there still delays getting off the ships? My cousin is going to spend the day with us and I'm not sure what would be a good time to ask him to pick us up. We will be continuing on the ship to Canada.

Edited by tinlizzie123

The port of San Diego hasn't changed. Still have to clear CBP onboard the ship. So everyone onboard is at the mercy of your fellow travelers getting their acts together early in the morning.

I wouldn't plan on being able to get off the ship until at least 1.5 hours after it arrives. You will have a better feel for this when the ship is actually at the dock. Plan to call your relative on a cell phone to let them know what exact time to pick you up. This way they also won't have to try to find parking (difficult in that area, esp. when ships are in port) and can just pick you up on Harbor Drive (a short walk outside the cruise pier).

The entire port area is a mess right now due to construction on Harbor Drive. If you don't have much luggage, I recommend walking off the ship, making a left turn (head north) and crossing the street at the first opportunity to reach the Wyndham hotel. Have your cousin meet you there instead of trying to get in and out of the pier pick-up area.

We'll be taking a cab to the San Diego airport on May 3rd. Do you know if cabs have a lot of delay too or just passengers being picked up at the curb?

I don't know about cabs. The only time I got off a cruise ship here, there was an area on the pier itself where cabs were able to drive in and pick up passengers. I assume that's still possible, and I'm sure cabs are experiencing the same traffic as everyone else, but cabbies are familiar with the current situation and know how to get around the block and back to the airport.

As I understand it, the main delay is in getting off the ship in the first place (I didn't experience that problem on my cruise that ended here, we were off by 10:00). I just think it would be difficult to have someone who lives here but doesn't frequent the port area meet you at curbside because there's currently no curb or any parking lane on the pier side of the street and the signage is somewhat lacking.

I'd suggest that your friends drive into the large parking lot right next to the Midway and meet you there - it's only a block or so from the pier. They might be able to approach it from the south and avoid some of the pier traffic and Harbor Drive construction. We've never had any difficulty finding a place to park there in the mornings. If you decide to stay in the area (tour the Midway, take a ferry to Coronado, walk around Sea Village, walk into downtown), bring lots of change for the parking meters!

On the question of cab delays, the airport is so close to the pier that I wouldn't worry too much about it. The construction has been going on for some time and the cabbies probably know more about how to get around it than anyone. Even with delays, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so to get to the airport once you are in a cab.

Edited by Kartgv

I'd suggest that your friends drive into the large parking lot right next to the Midway and meet you there - it's only a block or so from the pier. They might be able to approach it from the south and avoid some of the pier traffic and Harbor Drive construction. We've never had any difficulty finding a place to park there in the mornings. If you decide to stay in the area (tour the Midway, take a ferry to Coronado, walk around Sea Village, walk into downtown), bring lots of change for the parking meters!

On the question of cab delays, the airport is so close to the pier that I wouldn't worry too much about it. The construction has been going on for some time and the cabbies probably know more about how to get around it than anyone. Even with delays, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so to get to the airport once you are in a cab.

As of Saturday, access to the Midway parking lot appeared to require noticing a hand-written/spray painted sign and driving under a scaffold of some kind to access Navy Pier. I was driving and not wanting to go there anyway so I didn't look at it in detail, but that's my recollection of the situation. There was a police crossing guard at that spot and the lanes on the street had been adjusted. Also, I believe Midway parking is at least $5 per hour.

We were in the area to pick up a race packet for yesterday's Gran Fondo, so I drove north on Harbor Dr, past the Midway at Navy Pier, Broadway Pier, B St (cruise ship) Pier and on up to the first place you can make a left turn into the parking area and then back down to the southern-most metered spot that's not handicapped. All or most of those metered spots I passed on the way back south had signage indicating this is a no-parking area on cruise ship days, so I don't think the cousin will find anything there and there are no more metered spots on the other side at all.

Also, I am not sure you can walk from Navy Pier to the B St Pier right now without crossing the street. There's heavy chain-link fencing and barriers right up to the edge of the street along that stretch. I think the two crossing guards on Harbor were there to help foot traffic get from the ferry landing/Navy Pier across the street, up the sidewalk, and then back across to the cruise ships and Maritime Museum.

That's how things were two days ago though. By next month, they might be different.

As of Saturday, access to the Midway parking lot appeared to require noticing a hand-written/spray painted sign and driving under a scaffold of some kind to access Navy Pier. I was driving and not wanting to go there anyway so I didn't look at it in detail, but that's my recollection of the situation. There was a police crossing guard at that spot and the lanes on the street had been adjusted. Also, I believe Midway parking is at least $5 per hour.

We were in the area to pick up a race packet for yesterday's Gran Fondo, so I drove north on Harbor Dr, past the Midway at Navy Pier, Broadway Pier, B St (cruise ship) Pier and on up to the first place you can make a left turn into the parking area and then back down to the southern-most metered spot that's not handicapped. All or most of those metered spots I passed on the way back south had signage indicating this is a no-parking area on cruise ship days, so I don't think the cousin will find anything there and there are no more metered spots on the other side at all.

Also, I am not sure you can walk from Navy Pier to the B St Pier right now without crossing the street. There's heavy chain-link fencing and barriers right up to the edge of the street along that stretch. I think the two crossing guards on Harbor were there to help foot traffic get from the ferry landing/Navy Pier across the street, up the sidewalk, and then back across to the cruise ships and Maritime Museum.

That's how things were two days ago though. By next month, they might be different.

Thanks for the update - Things really have changed since we were there not too long ago! As you mention, by next month it will probably change again. I believe that I read something about the new park opening along Harbor Drive sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I guess my biggest concern is what time they are likely to let us off the ship, I have heard everything from 7:30 to 11:00, so I'm more worried about him having to wait around for ages. Any insights on this?? We will be continuing on the ship to Vancouver.

Thanks

Edited by tinlizzie123