hello

beekat

We have traveled on the QM2 westward in September and October.

It was lovely. Hurricane season not withstanding, no storms while we sailed. Warm air and calm waters.

Fall is (or used to be--who knows with climate changes) a drier (less rain) time in the US. You could also enjoy fall (aka "autumn") foliage --colorful leaves, if you have time to travel beyond NYC.

If you travel later in the year (December), the price for a crossing decreases, but the weather probably won't be as favorable.

Crossings aren't available most of the early part of any year, because the QM2 will be off "somewhere" on a World Tour--a yearly event…

Hope this information helps...

Happy Sailing!

Hello jimmybean.how many times have you sailed in September October time? pls.Whats it like pls? x And can you feel any motion at all?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Also jimmybean.What would I have to do? as I want to go there and get off and stay for a few week then come back..is it still the Qm2 I go with?

I have been once, in August. The date was chosen because of it being school holidays. We had a good crossing but the balcony was basically useless to us until the last day, as the crossing was foggy. No guarantees at any time of the year.

We booked a special Cunard package that gave us 3 nights in New York in a good hotel in Times Square, and then the flight home.

If I had my choice and the money, I would do the Autumn trip and extend it with the cruise that is designed to see the Autumn colours at their best. That's definitely on my wish list.

I want to go around autumn time and stay for 2 week and come home..Can you feel the motion at all on the big ships pls? As im afraid. And is it as bad as you think its gonna be? x

Hello Beekat,

Actually, we have crossed on the QM2 five times in the Sept/Oct time period---three times going east and twice going west.

I don't want to "fly", but I do want to "go." The QM2 has been great transportation, along with being a wonderful, wonderful sailing experience.

Before our first crossing, I was very nervous about seasickness. (I'm reading between the lines, but I think this might be a concern for you as well)

I read everything I could on Cruise Critic about seasickness potential on a crossing. I'm not "big" on taking unnecessary medications, so didn't want to take anything or wear a patch--if I didn't actually need to...

I learned one was less likely to experience motion-sickness as one becomes older. I had become ill on a ship as a child, but I found this had nothing to do with being subject to motion-sickness on a ship, 50 years later.

I learned the ship's doctor can provide an injection (jab, if you are British) should seasickness develop while on board. I decided to take a wait-and-see approach and have never needed anything.

If the sea is stormy-enough, even crew might become ill---but the ocean is most often not "that stormy."

Plus, the QM2 is now sailing 7 days across, which gives "extra time" for the ship to skirt storms.

Yes, there will be motion. It is a ship. But, motion, in general, is not necessarily illness inducing. Over time and travel, my fears of seasickness have subsided and I actually find the rocking motion gives me a very good night's sleep...

But, just in case, pick a cabin that is midship and low down. Deck 5 is good. If you can't be midship, more to the back of the ship than the front is better (in my estimation). I feel more "roll"--sideways motion--towards the front.

Book well in advance. Last minute might get cheaper prices, but there will be less cabin choice. Midship locations are often booked first.

Getting back and forth on the ship---we have done only that (no flying), but I caution you do have to look at their schedule closely. One year, we accidentally booked two crossings in the same direction! We didn't notice this for a month! Then, we rescheduled...

We are coming from US, so would like to find transportation that would give us an "ideal" 18 days in UK… In reality, we have had to "settle" for just 10 days, because that was when the ship was going… (It was either go back in 10 days or stay a full 6 weeks)…

QM2 crossed the Atlantic in a more frequent pattern in the past. Now, it will go up from NY to Canada and back before re-crossing to Southampton. This varies with time of year. I think (after autumn foliage has stopped being attractive) --like in December, the ship might just turn around and head straight back the same day…

If the Cunard website is too cumbersome to work, call Cunard and ask scheduling questions. Ask them to mail you brochures, if you aren't on their mailing list already. We have found we have to put some effort into scheduling our trips, because we use ship transportation in both directions…But, it certainly can be done. And, it is certainly worth doing.

Pick the time of year which offers the schedule that most suits your needs. If you have to stay for 10 days instead of a week, don't let that stop you. If you have to come in the spring, instead of the autumn, don't let that stop you.

Dear Husband and I are crossing for the first time in the spring this year. While I can't speak from experience, timing of spring crossings might also meet your needs.

You will love the ship. You will love the experience of sailing on her. But, above all that, she can help you travel as she has helped me. QM2 is beautiful and will make you feel safe and comfortable.

At what date would that be in autumn? at the end of September? xx

Hi again Beekat,

As I said on the UK forum, if you want to spend a couple of weeks in the US September/October time and get off the ship in that time the following are the crossings you should be looking at:

8th September - Southampton to NY (arrives 15th September)

27th September - NY to Southampton

8th October - Southampton to NY (arrives 16th October)

28th October - NY to Southampton

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1329054

Seasickness? I've experienced it 3 times and I have lots of sea days.

On the first occasion I took ginger tablets and that was enough to get rid of the headaches. I therefore carried ginger tablets or crystallised ginger on the next 10 cruises.

I have had 2 days when I felt queasy after lunch and went to bed for the afternoon, complete with sea sickness tablet. I spent the afternoon spaced out, dozing and feeling fine (because of lying down) and was able to get up by tea time. This is certainly what I would recommend: if you feel ill, then go to bed for a few hours.

Since then I seem to have found my sea legs. I have had no trouble, and that was even in seas so rough that a few people told of their TV sets being flung off the shelves. I danced the night away, even when one did not know if the floor would be in the right place as you put your foot down.

I think one of the biggest problems is fear. We know it is not usual for the floor to be moving like that and so we worry. I accept it as part of the experience and embrace it. I love going to bed when the seas are rough and feeling my bed rock me to sleep. See, it's partly in the terminology and the expectations. We loved being rocked as babies. As children we went on rides that caused dizziness and we laughed through those sensations. Now as adults we fear such sensations. Look at rough seas with a child's attitude and try not to worry about seasickness unless it actually hits you.

Not worried about the sickness I fear the unknown. ...Does the ship rock? Or does it go up and slam back down if there's a storm? x

I totally understand your fear of the unknown. Not being in control of a situation can be awful, but if you go on the trip expecting the worst, then that is probably what you will get. We did a crossing on the QM2 in mid-December a few years back and the ocean was like a millpond, I guess we were lucky, it could have been rough. The QM2 is a very stable ship, she's built for transatlantic crossings, and yes you will certainly feel some motion, but unless you are desperately unlucky it shouldn't bother you.

If one of your concerns is sea sickness I suggest you pop into your local Boots and have a word with the Chemist with regard to motion tablets.

With regard to going there and back by ship, I wish I could join you, it sounds like an awesome trip. So choose your dates, book the holiday and most of all enjoy it.

Not worried about the sickness I fear the unknown. ...Does the ship rock? Or does it go up and slam back down if there's a storm? x

Never mind the ship!

CUNARD ROCKS!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

J

Awww thank you. ..I've been on a ferrie to jersey and that was rough I didn't get sickness but I feel strange. .I've also been from Dover to calais.When I was walking I was falling side to side..is it anything like that on the qm2?

Awww thank you. ..I've been on a ferrie to jersey and that was rough I didn't get sickness but I feel strange. .I've also been from Dover to calais.When I was walking I was falling side to side..is it anything like that on the qm2?

Nope - most of the time you will think you are in a big fancy hotel that, miraculously, is in a totally different part of the world when you get up from when you went to bed.

J

Most of the time there's no problem. You feel absolutely stable. You certainly don't fall from side to side. The only problem is when you encounter rough weather - but remember that QM2 was built to meet those conditions and to be as stable as possible. People keep dancing through it all.

Remember that chances are you'll have an absolutely stable crossing. Plan contingencies for the odd times of rough weather - and you may not have to use them. Get tablets or pressure bracelets from a pharmacy and go to bed if you are worried. I take audiobooks on my ipod in case I'm in bed with seasickness. I haven't needed to listen to them!

I've never fallen on a ship, but as the ship moves one's path meanders from side to side, walking down a corridor. It is an not unpleasant experience..

The QM2 handles any ocean turbulence much better than other ships. The largest waves we have seen on her were 21 feet and it was nothing! The ship felt very stable --everything normal and comfortable. Nothing that would frighten anyone.

It is a powerful feeling to be in the middle of a huge ocean. You look on all sides and just see water. It is awesome. But, aboard the QM2 you feel very safe and being surrounded by the ocean is lovely.

Honestly, with all the wonderful distractions on the ship--lecturers and entertainment--the time will pass very quickly (and happily) for you.

You're all lovely thanks so much for making me feel more confident. im just scared.im a wuss.lol

I feel your fear! When I was 18, I went to the crown of the Statue of Liberty and the observation deck of the Empire State building but now, at my advanced age, there is NO WAY I would do that again as I have a fear of heights!

I have read of the fear of some who are afraid to not have terra firma under their feet but since you have been on at least 2 ferries, you can manage that HUGE ship.

In a really rough sea situation, there are hand rails in the corridors to help you maintain your balance; I use them all the time.

How long do you just see water for pls? Sorry to ask lots of questions. .also isn't September hurricane season? x

You already know the answer to your first question: you just see water for as long as you are out of sight of land.

Yes, September is hurricane season in the Caribbean, in the Gulf, and along the east coast of the US. But not in the middle of the north Atlantic.

Look, QM2 is a ship afloat on the ocean; of course it moves some in response to wind and waves. Most times the motion is barely perceptible to the passengers, occasionally it is very interesting. Calm your anticipatory anxiety and look forward to a great crossing.