HELP PLEASE! Fort Lauderdale hotel- May 2014

BrownCalico

I am looking for a pre-cruise hotel for 2 adults in Fort Lauderdale (May 16-May 17) before our sailing on Vision of the Seas. Here is my wish list:

* Walking distance to good restaurants;

* Airport shuttle a plus;

* Reasonably close to cruise port;

* Clean;

* Reasonably priced.

I don't care about cruise shuttle, as we probably would do a taxi anyway. We don't need anything fancy, as we will be there less than 14 hours (including sleep time)- maybe something 3+ star/or Hampton-level or better would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help! I have been reading all the hotel posts on the forums and am going cross eyed trying to make heads or tails of it all! :o

we've stayed at the comfort suites cruiseport on three trips. 1800 s federal hgway.

Our upcoming October trip we have booked a room for $111 Senior rate.

right off 17th Street and the restaurants and fast food joints. We walk over to Outback Steakhouse located behind Embassy Suites.

Airport shuttle free. Breakfast buffet , pay for shuttle to ship about $6. Took a cab once also for $20. Nothing fancy but clean and free wi fi in room. Lots of cruisers stay here.

I have stayed at comfort suites and I would encourage you not too unless you are looking for lowest price. Cambria suites is wonderful. Free shuttle for airport and port. They have a restaurant and bar on site and service is very good. Nice big seating in lobby, good computer setup, pool and hot tub. Stayed at 8 other fll places, now we always go back to cambria suites in Dania Beach. Also a great cuban restaurant a block away and low fare rides to most anything else you would want to do. And QUIET,?

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Go to valuetrips.com and book the Hyatt Place North (on 10th st.). Perfect location (just off the very popular 17th St.) for many restaurants and stores in walking distance to pick up last min. items. On this site you can book it for only $99in May. It is very popular for cruisers. From the port no more than $10-12 per cab. Shuttle from airport is free I think.

Be careful if you try to book something by the airport as some hotels have nothing nearby in walking distance.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d87424-Reviews-Hyatt_Place_Ft_Lauderdale_17th_Street_Convention_Center-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Edited by eandj

We have stayed many times at the Holiday Inn Express 17th St., near the port. It is within walking distance of restaurants (Outback for instance.) and shops and just down the street from Embassy Suites which has a good lunch menu.

We have stayed many times at the Holiday Inn Express 17th St., near the port. It is within walking distance of restaurants (Outback for instance.) and shops and just down the street from Embassy Suites which has a good lunch menu.

I just booked this hotel for a pre cruise stay and it stated on the website that there is a 24 hr shuttle for free from the airport and I read too that they offer shuttle service to the port for $8. Booked a King NSA for $109 plus tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

Can you tell me more about ValueTrips. I have never heard of it other than on these boards, and I am nervous about putting my credit card information in...

No problem with booking here. Very popular. They are just another discount site but offer rooms at limited hotels. Sometime their supply of rooms runs out in peak months. But you should deffinitely be good in May. It's a great property for your needs.

I just booked this hotel for a pre cruise stay and it stated on the website that there is a 24 hr shuttle for free from the airport and I read too that they offer shuttle service to the port for $8. Booked a King NSA for $109 plus tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

HINT: If there are two or more of you, I'd rec just doing a cab. It will run you around $15 and you can go straight to YOUR ship on YOUR schedule. Otherwise you go when the shuttle is full on the hotel's schedule and you might be stopping at other ships to unload.

we've stayed at the comfort suites cruiseport on three trips. 1800 s federal hgway.

Our upcoming October trip we have booked a room for $111 Senior rate.

right off 17th Street and the restaurants and fast food joints. We walk over to Outback Steakhouse located behind Embassy Suites.

Airport shuttle free. Breakfast buffet , pay for shuttle to ship about $6. Took a cab once also for $20. Nothing fancy but clean and free wi fi in room. Lots of cruisers stay here.

Did a search; $95 incl tax on the dates of TS through Travelpony. Comes with a $35 credit so a total of $65.

What are your dates of travel in october?

Thank you all for your help! I have submitted a request to ValueTrips for the Hyatt Place, now just crossing my fingers it goes through, as the hotel website itself indicates it is booked. :-)

Just so you know it takes a couple of days for valuetrips to respond back to you .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I couldn't agree more with staying at this location. We stay there when sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale.

We stayed at the Hyatt House...which I think shares a parking lot with the Hyatt Place on our last cruise in January.

I was noting fancy, but was clean, good price and had free breakfast, laundry facilities, shuttle service etc. Would deff stay there again for a pre cruise.

Just pay attention at the airport when you catch the shuttle. There are a couple of Hyatt locations in Fort Lauderdale and you have to know which one you are going to.

We stayed at the Hyatt House...which I think shares a parking lot with the Hyatt Place on our last cruise in January.

I was noting fancy, but was clean, good price and had free breakfast, laundry facilities, shuttle service etc. Would deff stay there again for a pre cruise.

Just pay attention at the airport when you catch the shuttle. There are a couple of Hyatt locations in Fort Lauderdale and you have to know which one you are going to.

That's in Dania...not the same Hyatt Place as on Value Trips in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you all for your help! I have submitted a request to ValueTrips for the Hyatt Place, now just crossing my fingers it goes through, as the hotel website itself indicates it is booked. :-)

Let us know when the booking happens. ;) Only during the peak weekends do they sometimes run out of inventory. I'd be surprised if you don't get a room in May. But there could be a first. Good luck!

Got the room! :-) Thanks for your help!!

Now to decide where to eat dinner! The Hyatt website has several restaurants listed, and I have started browsing menus... anyone have any recommendations as to where to eat (or where to avoid!)?

Also, I noticed on one of the menus that stone crabs are available seasonally- October 15-May 15. Any chance they will still be available on May 16 when we get there???

Thanks again!

Now to decide where to eat dinner!

Thanks again!

Great!! You will enjoy the location. There are lots of restaurants in the area and nearby. many rec'd here. Look for the threads re Embassy Suites area restaurants. Will all depend on the kind of food and ambiance you are in the mood for. No need to really plan ahead. Just start walking and Have fun!!

Here's a recent thread re restaurants in your area...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014830&highlight=embassy+suites+restaurants

Edited by eandj

Now to decide where to eat dinner! The Hyatt website has several restaurants listed, and I have started browsing menus... anyone have any recommendations as to where to eat (or where to avoid!)?

Also, I noticed on one of the menus that stone crabs are available seasonally- October 15-May 15. Any chance they will still be available on May 16 when we get there???

Thanks again!

It is possible that you will still be able to get stone crabs, but this season there was a shortage so maybe not.

Kelly's Landing is very popular for seafood. It's a casual New England sports bar restaurant. 15th St Fisheries Dockside Cafe (downstairs, outside) has a really great ambiance for casual seafood too. You can feed the fish from the docks there and it's on a marina; it's about a mile from Hyatt Place. If you like thai/sushi, Coco Asian Bistro in Harbor Shops is very nice.

Edited by royalcruz