Amazon

silver wedding

I'd check HAL. The Maasdam is sailing to Manaus in January 2014.

Boy, I wouldn't want the hear the whining on that one. When I last went up the Amazon in 2011, on a tanker, there were 6 ships aground in the river, one had been there for 6 weeks, and our pilot stuck us in the mud for about 4 hours.

Boy, I wouldn't want the hear the whining on that one. When I last went up the Amazon in 2011, on a tanker, there were 6 ships aground in the river, one had been there for 6 weeks, and our pilot stuck us in the mud for about 4 hours.
I think it was the old Regal that got stuck on a sandbar at the mouth of the Amazon by the pilot years ago. :) Ahh... found the archived posts from 2006: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-332002.html

I think it was the old Regal that got stuck on a sandbar at the mouth of the Amazon by the pilot years ago. :) Ahh... found the archived posts from 2006: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-332002.html

The charts of the Amazon are so bad that our radar, with the GPS electronic chart overlay, showed that we should have sailed across an island once, and been about 2 miles inland from the shore several times. Going aground there is a "pretty normal" experience, according to pilots and class surveyors.

Ahem, perhaps 2015? ;)
Doh!
P&O will be doing the Amazon and Caribbean on their smallest ship Adonia. It will sail from Barbados
The Adonia is the former Royal Princess II and a sister ship to the Ocean and Pacific Princess.

Oceania does the Amazon. We did a round trip with them from Miami in 2010 and it was wonderful. It was in the month of December and there weren't any problems with getting stuck. It was a smaller ship though. We weren't able to get back to a village on a private tour because the water levels were too low.

Edited by Starlaker
Added date

I spoke with Princess when I couldn't locate any itineraries to the Amazon and was informed they are no longer offering this cruise.

Along with the other cruise lines that have been suggested, Seabourn offers this cruise.